SCT KAM reset

acrbill

Established Member
I had to send my SCT in for service and they got it all setup with the latest and greatest updates.

When I uploaded my tune the other day I noticed it had another menu for KAM reset which I am pretty sure I never noticed before and is a welcome addition to someone like me who flip flops tunes often.

After I do the KAM reset I have to clear some CEL but it doesn't reappear so its no big deal.

On a side note, my AED lope tune sounds so sad through the stock cats! I need to find time to get my offroad H back on.

Dineau

Established Member
I have noticed the same thing about this new option...

You are saying that if you perform that new "KAM Reset" feature you get a CEL ?

kevinp

Established Member
When you use the KAM rese it sets a CEL, VID block error if I remember. But once you clear the code it doesnt come back.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
KAM = Keep Alive Memory. It holds the "learned" parameters after the engine runs for a while. It's cleared when you load a new tune or you can clear it manually by disconnecting the battery.

14GT

Banned
KAM = Keep Alive Memory. It holds the "learned" parameters after the engine runs for a while. It's cleared when you load a new tune or you can clear it manually by disconnecting the battery.

It does not clear when you load a tune on these coyote cars. You have to pull the neg. battery terminal and turn the headlights on for 15 minutes to ensure complete drain of the whole system.

Last edited:

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
I guess whether it clears or not depends on what you load the tune with. I'm using SCT PRP with an X3 and mine clears every time. Maybe other tuners don't do it, or maybe it's just the PRP version that does.

acrbill

Established Member
I don't know if loading a new tune resets anything, but doing a KAM reset does clear the learned parameters of the tune.

kevinp

Established Member
I guess whether it clears or not depends on what you load the tune with. I'm using SCT PRP with an X3 and mine clears every time. Maybe other tuners don't do it, or maybe it's just the PRP version that does.

PRP doesnt change anything, you are still loading the tune with a X3/SF3 or whatever device.

I'm not sure the learned transmission patterns get cleared when using an SCT to load a tune, I tried a KAM reset and the part throttle auto shifting really changed for a while. When loading tunes with an SF3 the auto shifts never seemed to reset.

I only tried it once so it may have just been a coincidence..

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
PRP doesnt change anything, you are still loading the tune with a X3/SF3 or whatever device.

I'm not sure the learned transmission patterns get cleared when using an SCT to load a tune, I tried a KAM reset and the part throttle auto shifting really changed for a while. When loading tunes with an SF3 the auto shifts never seemed to reset.

I only tried it once so it may have just been a coincidence..

I can't speak to whether transmission learning gets cleared or not - I have a 6MT and my transmission hasn't learned a d*mned thing since I got the car!

kevinp

Established Member
I can't speak to whether transmission learning gets cleared or not - I have a 6MT and my transmission hasn't learned a d*mned thing since I got the car!

True, I know the fuel trims get reset when you load a tune, but other than that I dont know how you can tell except if you have the ford stuff to read it.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
Even if downloading a new tune doesn't actually clear the KAM memory itself, it does reset the cold start counter, which launches a zero-based learning cycle. Even if the KAM is full of junk, the ECU assumes it's clear, ignoring what's there and filling it with new data values as it figures things out.

Users who are viewing this thread