Screwed! Your advice.

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
My '01 Cobra got it's rear tail light smashed at Sea World S.D. today, just the amber corner. I am sick and tired of these darn lights, it's discouraging to say the least, but the car is awesome though. This is my second smashed tail light. What do you recommend I do? Convert to GT?

Are the tail lights on the '03 Cobra the same as '03 GT?

Has anyone modified their rear 99-01 Cobra rear tail lights?

Thanks for your help Guys!!!

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
I'm a bit confused here

Are you having problems with leaving your car in a parking lot or with the lens themselves?

............an 03 lens is just as fragile as an 01 lens

:shrug:

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
I personally really think the amber on those lights throws off the flow/color scheme. I've never understood why everyone loves them so much. I believe the GT lights are the same, but the wiring harness and bulbs are different in the cobra. I would assume if your bulbs n wires are fine that the taillight housings from a gt would work just fine. Im about 90% sure, so i wouldnt go spending money based on my word lol.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I like my ambers. It's something different.

I have a piar of GT tails I was trying to smoke. A quick clean up and polish would have them good as new.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Amber tail lights on cobras might have something to do with the fact that the first SVT cobra way back in '93 had amber tail lights. It was a small part of what SVT did to the mustang to make it appear different from the GT and LX mustangs.

I think the 03/04 cars got left out from what had been a cobra feature from the beginning. No doubt the amber tail lights fell victim to Ford bean counters that could care less about history, the bottom line is king, hell with everything else.

The meticulous 03/04 owners that have installed the amber tails get a big thumbs up from me!! :beer::beer:

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
OP, don't dew it. Keep the tradition.

IMO, Ford should have maintained the amber on the 03 and 04 Cobras and perhaps on the GT500's as well even though they technically are not Cobras. Perhaps on the next installment of Cobra models they might continue in this?

1978 King Cobra
1978KingCobra%20016.jpg

1993 Cobra
1993-ford-mustang-cobra-photo-368464-s-1280x782.jpg

1999 Cobra
Ford-Mustang_SVT_Cobra_1999_photo_06.jpg

2001 Cobra
01mustangcobra14.jpg

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
I personally really think the amber on those lights throws off the flow/color scheme. I've never understood why everyone loves them so much. I believe the GT lights are the same, but the wiring harness and bulbs are different in the cobra. I would assume if your bulbs n wires are fine that the taillight housings from a gt would work just fine. Im about 90% sure, so i wouldnt go spending money based on my word lol.

Are you recommending I use the GT lights by drilling a hole?

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
OP, don't dew it. Keep the tradition.

IMO, Ford should have maintained the amber on the 03 and 04 Cobras and perhaps on the GT500's as well even though they technically are not Cobras. Perhaps on the next installment of Cobra models they might continue in this?

1978 King Cobra
1978KingCobra%20016.jpg

1993 Cobra
1993-ford-mustang-cobra-photo-368464-s-1280x782.jpg

1999 Cobra
Ford-Mustang_SVT_Cobra_1999_photo_06.jpg

2001 Cobra
01mustangcobra14.jpg

They are hard to find. :shrug:

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
I'm a bit confused here

Are you having problems with leaving your car in a parking lot or with the lens themselves?

............an 03 lens is just as fragile as an 01 lens

:shrug:

The light is broken on the corner. It was in the parking lot, parked it and returned later in the day to see the broken amber plastic on the floor. :fm:

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
What would you guys do if you can't find these tail lights anymore? I would love to keep the tradition. It's my second smashed tail light. LMAO!

01BlkSn8k

Established Member

I would have to drill an additional hole for the blinker. I am thinking it is the way to go since I can not find them.

Rotzs99

Established Member
I'd put some autobadges blackout vinyl on there. 1. They might hide the fact that they are amber and would be less prone to jealous vandals. and 2. The vinyl might protect it 'slightly'. You don't get the outright amber look, but your turn signal still flashes amber and not red.

shurur

Established Member
plenty of jealous pricks out there..

I'd just get some GT lights and modify them for the turn signal.
then sell the intact one on ebay.

eventually they may start making aftermarket amber taillights again.

1. File down center nub where turn signal goes and then drill a pilot hole.
2. Use 1" hole saw to slowly drill a hole.
3. Now use small jewelers files to cut notches like your original cobra lights have, test fitting with the turn signal connector as you go.

DONE

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
plenty of jealous pricks out there..

I'd just get some GT lights and modify them for the turn signal.
then sell the intact one on ebay.

eventually they may start making aftermarket amber taillights again.

1. File down center nub where turn signal goes and then drill a pilot hole.
2. Use 1" hole saw to slowly drill a hole.
3. Now use small jewelers files to cut notches like your original cobra lights have, test fitting with the turn signal connector as you go.

DONE

Nice! I am doing this the next time one of them cracks. Ford really dropped the ball and screwed us on this one. :mj:

shurur

Established Member
Nice! I am doing this the next time one of them cracks. Ford really dropped the ball and screwed us on this one. :mj:

you can even cut the turn signal socket out and do this all in the living room while you watch TV.
Then you can solder or butt connect the turn signal socket when you are done.
You may need a little permatex or another rubber washer to set the original on top of the socket to make the socket snug..

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
you can even cut the turn signal socket out and do this all in the living room while you watch TV.
Then you can solder or butt connect the turn signal socket when you are done.
You may need a little permatex or another rubber washer to set the original on top of the socket to make the socket snug..

I am resorting to this next time they crack or break. Thanks! :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread