screeching from rear wheel on turns

smaring

Ever since I rebuilt the rear brake calipers and put new rotors on the rear of my 97 cobra, I've been hearing a screeching sound from the rear passenger on corners. The harder I take a right-hand turn, the louder the screeching. It is a loud consistent screeching sound directly related to the amount of lateral force on the tire. I should also point out that it seems the inside part of that tire is getting more wear than the outside. I was going to pop the wheel off today and see if there was a way to adjust the camber a bit (never done that before). I don't know if the combination of too much negative camber and the new rotor could cause this screeching or if its something else. When I grab the top and bottom of the wheel I don't feel any play.

-Steve
Titusville, FL

smaring

I figured out my problem. It turns out my caliper was scraping my new rotor. This leads me to believe the claim that they fit this year of Cobra wasn't accurate. It was a good deal on "Prime Choice Auto Parts PR64038LR Performance Drilled and Slotted Brake Rotor Pair for Rear".

My solution was to put a couple washers between the knuckle and the caliper to push it out a bit. No more screeching sound.

I also realized there doesn't seem to be any sort of alignment possible on the back. It seems I will have a bearing job to do in the not too distant future too though.

20180120_103146.jpg 20180120_103215.jpg 20180120_103240.jpg 20180120_110640.jpg 20180120_110932.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread