Scratched the leather on my steering wheel, any way to fix it?

Quick97TA

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Was getting in my car the other day, and the zipper of the coat I was wearing scratched the leather on my steering wheel. :cryying: :nonono: It's like a little row of tears, about an inch long.

Just wondered if anyone else had this happen, and did you have it fixed somehow or just replace the wheel? I don't know of any leather shops around here that could repair it. Even if they did, I bet you will be able to tell it's been recovered. :shrug:

If I can't fix it, I'm thinking about ordering a 10th anniversay wheel along with the matching boot and shift knob. (I know they're high, but I can get one a little cheaper than I expected.)

What do you think?

There's a guy on the infomercials right now that is selling this putty that he claims can be used for anything. Stick some on there and paint it. Money back guarantee.

Juruense

Banned
Glue the little loose pieces back down carefully and then use a black magic marker to color any white spots out.

New wheel is about $650, 10th ones are $850.

Quick97TA

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Glue the little loose pieces back down carefully and then use a black magic marker to color any white spots out.

New wheel is about $650, 10th ones are $850.

It didn't lift the leather, it made like 10 little horizontal cuts in a row. Followed the zipper - crappy freak accident. :cuss:

Can't see any way to repair it right, I think recovering or replacement is the only option. I guess I was mainly just wondering if anyone ever tried to have a shop re-cover one.

Already checked prices on brand new wheels.

New factory wheel is under $200 and a new 10th wheel is under $500.

Juruense

Banned
A black magic marker will make it harder to see until you get the new wheel...

Those are some good prices on the wheels, where did you get them?

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
If you can replace the wheel for $200.00 I would do that. Although that sounds like a "to good to be true" price. You may want to contact an interior shop that specializes in Rolls Royce restoration. I have had Leather steering wheels recovered and the end result has been exceptional. You just need to do the research and find the right person.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread