scooter???

nhancedsvt

Established Member
i'm looking at getting a scooter/moped to drive back and forth to class and around town. i don't need anything big but i have to do something to keep from putting so much gas in my gas guzzling mustang. i really want to stay as cheap as possible on this since it will only be an around town commuter (my trips will be less than 3 miles). do ya'll have any suggestions on good/cheap scooters and/or places to buy them?

also on the legal side, if i were to get a 50cc scooter would it have to be tagged and have insurance in order to drive on the street? and would i need a motorcycle license?
thanks for any help folks!

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
you know what they say... scooters are like fat chicks... they are fun until your friends see you riding one.

Humboldt5.0

Established Member
Go check out davesmotors.com They have a nice selection of parts and scooters/kits I have a go ped sport with a 230rc motor swap 2.8 HP! The stock sport comes with 1.2HPIm a big guy so i need more power for uphill climbs

Last edited:

nhancedsvt

Established Member
Go check out davesmotors.com They have a nice selection of parts and scooters/kits I have a go ped sport with a 230rc motor swap 2.8 HP! The stock sport comes with 1.2HPIm a big guy so i need more power for uphill climbs

i saw those but i was actually wanting more of a moped type scooter.

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
also on the legal side, if i were to get a 50cc scooter would it have to be tagged and have insurance in order to drive on the street? and would i need a motorcycle license?
thanks for any help folks!

Laws on that vary from state to state. You pretty much have to have to be licensed and have it registered to drive it on the road, but some states will allow certain small displacement motorized bikes on bike lanes, trails, & sidewalk areas. I thought about strapping a small two stroke engine to a bicycle just for a fun project to ride around town, but a need for registration and licensing is a real grey area here in CA for that type of thing so I decided I would rather not deal with the hassle of it for some goof ball project idea.

Last edited:

nhancedsvt

Established Member
Laws on that vary from state to state. You pretty much have to have to be licensed and have it registered to drive it on the road, but some states will allow certain small displacement motorized bikes on bike lanes, trails, & sidewalk areas. I thought about strapping a small two stroke engine to a bicycle just for a fun project to ride around town, but a need for registration and licensing is a real grey area here in CA for that type of thing so I decided I would rather not deal with the hassle of it for some goof ball project idea.

i just talked to a local motorcycle dealer and they said the smaller displacement scooters don't have to be tagged or insured and there is no need for a motorcycle license. now all i have to do is find one!

rcksblr

Established Member
The laws depend on the State. I would call the DMV and get the facts. Sometimes those salesmen might just be saying what he thinks you want to hear. I just sold my scooter this last spring. I was in school and drove it the last few years until I graduated. Very good investment, i saved a crap ton of money

cobrafever

Established Member
Under 50cc, no tag, no insurance, can't go over 30 mph, no motorcycle licensed, must be 16 or over. must wear a helmet(DOT), and follow rules of the road.
Don't buy junk, get honda or yamaha, they get over 100 mpg........good luck

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Under 50cc, no tag, no insurance, can't go over 30 mph, no motorcycle licensed, must be 16 or over. must wear a helmet(DOT), and follow rules of the road.
Don't buy junk, get honda or yamaha, they get over 100 mpg........good luck

That is the Georgia Law you are quoting?

Jack32v

Slow Lane..
Established Member
Go-Peds are AWESOME! I use to ride an X-ped when I was younger, could bust out all kinds of tricks, Me and my buddies use to race the hell out of them, Mod them as much as we could... lol brings back memories

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member

23cc sucks. You need a big bore 29.5 or bigger.

Anyway, scooters are gay. Single cylinder beginner bikes, such as the Kawasaki Ninja 250 are not. 61mpg sounds fine to me.

Humboldt5.0

Established Member
Go-Peds are AWESOME! I use to ride an X-ped when I was younger, could bust out all kinds of tricks, Me and my buddies use to race the hell out of them, Mod them as much as we could... lol brings back memories

Yeah well i lost my driver license for 3 years,i just got it back so im going to sell the trusty old scooter on ebay.When i was a little younger i had a blue X-ped those were pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread