Science Question

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
Hey guys I keep hearing that the ice caps will melt and cause sea levels to rise.

Well umm when I have water in a glass and add ice to it the water level rises right?

But when the ice melts the water level falls because Ice is less dense than liquid water.

So in theory if the ice caps melted than shouldnt the sea levels go down?

BRNG ITT

Established Member
Hey guys I keep hearing that the ice caps will melt and cause sea levels to rise.

Well umm when I have water in a glass and add ice to it the water level rises right?

But when the ice melts the water level falls because Ice is less dense than liquid water.

So in theory if the ice caps melted than shouldnt the sea levels go down?

When ice that is floating in a glass of water melts, level does not change. The ice displaces the same amount of volume as it would in liquid form.

The issue with the polar ice caps melting, in a very basic sense, is that not all of the ice is floating in water (the oceans). A large amount of it is on land. So when this vast quantity of ice melts, it runs off of land, and into the ocean raising sea level to X extent.

All About Sea Ice, Arctic vs. Antarctic :: National Snow and Ice Data Center

BlackOutUT

Established Member
When ice that is floating in a glass of water melts, level does not change. The ice displaces the same amount of volume as it would in liquid form.

The issue with the polar ice caps melting, in a very basic sense, is that not all of the ice is floating in water (the oceans). A large amount of it is on land. So when this vast quantity of ice melts, it runs off of land, and into the ocean raising sea level to X extent.

All About Sea Ice, Arctic vs. Antarctic :: National Snow and Ice Data Center

^This... and by the way, google is your friend.

ademily87

Established Member
My science question is, if you put two light bulbs in front of a mirror, would the reflection be the equivalent of the light output of 4 light bulbs?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Sapperstang

Established Member
My science question is, if you put two light bulbs in front of a mirror, would the reflection be the equivalent of the light output of 4 light bulbs?

Plane mirror? Concave? Convex? In general, no. The incident light coming from the bulbs on the mirror side will strike the mirror surface and be reflected back outwards at the same intensity. Am taking physics 2 and we are on the chapter about mirrors. :)

Last edited:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Is anything NOT at least 3 dimensional?

What is one dimensional or even two dimensional in reality?

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Short answer: no, the total amount of light is not brighter than the two bulbs alone, because the mirrors can only reflect a portion of the light that already is emitted from the bulbs. You see an increase in brightness because the light that is being emitted is redirected back to you, instead of just escaping in an omidirectional pattern.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
so .. if you put a plane on a conveyor belt will it take off and fly or just sit there spinning it's wheels ?

svt 500

Established Member
Why do my wheels look like they are turning backwards, then forwards, then backwards while I'm driving?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Why do my wheels look like they are turning backwards, then forwards, then backwards while I'm driving?

because you are stuck int he mud or snow and ARE going forwards, then backwards?

svt 500

Established Member
because you are stuck int he mud or snow and ARE going forwards, then backwards?

haha - some truth in that although I have noticed when heating up the tires, it has the same look.

Last edited:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
If a person is born a man, and wants to become a woman, why do they have to be so confrontational and self-centered?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
If a person is born a man, and wants to become a woman, why do they have to be so confrontational and self-centered?
it's the hormones ... and they are self-centered because they are self-centered by nature not because they want to change their sex. they like to play the victim card. ohhh society hates me, ohhh my parents hate me I am a victim ... pity me and let me get away with shit you would never stand for if I wasn't a victim.

Users who are viewing this thread