Schroth Belts in Ford GT

Florida Chris

Established Member
I have received several Private Messages over the past two weeks asking for details on the four point harnesses I installed in my GT so I thought I’d post the information for everyone to see.

I purchased a set of Schroth Racing Profi II asm type belts. The shoulder belts are available with two kinds of attachment points, bolt-in and clip-in. While most pure racers pick the clip-in style, I chose the bolt-in largely because I would have less rattling from the belts on the passenger side when no one had them on. I purchased the belts from On Track Performance Solutions http://www.on-trackperformance.com , but you can find them at a number of different suppliers online.

When the belts arrived, the first thing I did was remove the God awful yellow “Schroth” advertisements that were sewn onto the belts. Next I measured the length of shoulder harness belt that was needed and cut the belts for an exact fit. They come with a sliding attachment at the bolt-in side that I removed, and I took the belts to a local automotive upholstery shop and had the belts permanently sewn into the bolt-in hardware. While you certainly do not need to do this, I thought it made for a cleaner installation. You can judge for yourself from the attached photos.

The lap belts bolt into the stock locations on the side of the seats. You can do this without removing the seats if you are persistent. The shoulder belts attach to the factory provided Torx bolts behind the seats on the engine firewall. All in all the install took about 15 minutes per side. While a fifth crotch belt would have been nice, this would have meant modifying the seat and I did not want to do that since I wanted to be able to return to a stock setup at any time.

I’m certain there are a number of different belts that would work, but I am happy with this setup and would recommend it to anyone.

belts13op.jpg

belts27pz.jpg

b_tone

East bound and down!!!!
Established Member
Chris, my only comment pertains to how they are mounted. In a frontal impact the load from your body moving forward after the car stops will cause the brakets to bend. Currently they are mounted straight down but they could end up bending 90* from being pulled forward. Depending on the impact this may also cause the bracket to break.

Just a thought.

Florida Chris

Established Member
b_tone said:
Chris, my only comment pertains to how they are mounted. In a frontal impact the load from your body moving forward after the car stops will cause the brakets to bend. Currently they are mounted straight down but they could end up bending 90* from being pulled forward. Depending on the impact this may also cause the bracket to break.

Just a thought.

Hmmm. It's pretty easy to "pre-bend" the brackets. Sounds like a good idea to me. Thanks.

Vic

Established Member
One more thing about brackets- They must "float" to allow the tensile stress to be spread evenly across the web of the belt. If they are bolted down solid, the belt may be stressed on edge, and allow a tear to develop.

I wish someone told me this before I hit the windshield. I put belts in a car years ago, and tightened the shoulder loop bracket down very tight. (Thought I was doing a guuuuud job) After my accident, an examination of the belt showed that the tear started at the bracket, and sheared it off clean right there, almost like it was snipped with scissors.

Good thing I got a hard head, I made a Vic-shaped depression in the windshield, steering wheel shaped bruise on my chest, belt bruises, but broke no bones.

FWIW!

Last edited:

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Holy crap. Glad you're okay.

Great information in this post, and thanks for the pics Florida Chris. Very nice setup.

Florida Chris

Established Member
Tom B said:
Chris,

Did you leave the stock belts in place?

Thanks

Yes. The stock belts are tucked into the fabric pouches behind the seats on the firewall so that I did not have to remove the stock shoulder harness mechanisms. If you look at the second photo you can see the stored stock shoulder belt.

DanQ

For folks that haven't installed belts yet, I'm just wondering if it wouldn't be a better idea to replace the torx bolt with a grade 8 eyebolt and then use the clip-in belts. then you have a direct pull on the belt. It would always be a straight pull regardless of the angle of the seat back.

Florida Chris, is there room for an eyebolt back there?

Florida Chris

Established Member
DanQ said:
For folks that haven't installed belts yet, I'm just wondering if it wouldn't be a better idea to replace the torx bolt with a grade 8 eyebolt and then use the clip-in belts. then you have a direct pull on the belt. It would always be a straight pull regardless of the angle of the seat back.

Florida Chris, is there room for an eyebolt back there?

Yes, there is room for an eyebolt and clip in belts if you want to go that route.

Tom B

Established Member
Florida Chris said:
Yes. The stock belts are tucked into the fabric pouches behind the seats on the firewall so that I did not have to remove the stock shoulder harness mechanisms. If you look at the second photo you can see the stored stock shoulder belt.

Chris,
How do you keep the "fasten seatbelt" off if not using the stock belts?
Thanks,
Tom

Users who are viewing this thread