?? School me on Welding Axle Tubes on a SRA ??

CobraTerritory

Merica
Established Member
- Is it necessary ??
- I've searched on google and its hit and miss. Some say good ides while others say bad idea ??

I'm also going to cut off the quad shock mounts since i will not be needing them.

Once i'm done with the housing mods the housing will be hot tanked then powdercoated. Any help would be awesome.

Thanks.
J.R.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Your best bet is to talk to a good chassis shop for input.
What is your intended use?
Street brawling? Hard core drag? daily driving?

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
Tubes really only need tack welded in a few spots just to keep them from spinning. Yes your right the quad shock mounts are not needed. I always recommend looking into doing 9" ends. The axles are stronger and eliminate C-clips.

sam92lx

SVTP Style Consultant.
Established Member
First off take to a professional.

But yes JR, if the rearend is out and disassembly get the tubes welded. For it to be done right the rearend should be placed in a jig. You have iron housing and steel tubes so you have them heat them up so they will to adhere to one another. If you don't you'll end like me bc previous owner had how its done right.

SilverBullet20.jpg

SilverBullet19.jpg

Last edited:

CobraTerritory

Merica
Established Member
Thanks Scott. I'm having my rearend build by a reputable builder and he told me the same exact same thing that the metals were 2 different materials and he told me that it was not needed / will crack so i just sent it over to get powdercoated. i'm going with silver vein.

sam92lx

SVTP Style Consultant.
Established Member
Thanks Scott. I'm having my rearend build by a reputable builder and he told me the same exact same thing that the metals were 2 different materials and he told me that it was not needed / will crack so i just sent it over to get powdercoated. i'm going with silver vein.

Well I would have still had done it. I had current rearend welded up by professional.

sam92lx

SVTP Style Consultant.
Established Member
I will also say since you have the rearend out I would go as far as welding torque boxes. Since its wide open..

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I seen a good number of housing tubes twist in the axle.
If you are going to race get it welded.
My tubes were **** eyed from heavy launches in a heavy vert.

CobraTerritory

Merica
Established Member
I will also say since you have the rearend out I would go as far as welding torque boxes. Since its wide open..

10 4. already have it planned to have a buddy reinforce the torque boxes when i get the IRS out. along with an undercarriage detail and fuel filter. hahaha. I guess its too late now for the tube welding. fingers crossed i guess :D

Users who are viewing this thread