School me on V6 wheels

CscottsSS

got boost?
Established Member
Searched and didn't find what I was looking for. I'm on a budget and want some et streets/slicks for trips to Mexico and on the rare track outing. I found some 02 V6 wheels for $30 a pair. What do I need to run these on the rear and any downfalls? I'm running h&r race and don't have the fenders rolled. I don't want to do any grinding on my calipers. So what do I need? What tires? 26 or 28's?

Thanks

Jroc

Established Member
Well for one thing they're ugly and small, but thats about the extent of my knowledge of them.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
yeah u have cobra brakes I dont belive they will fit behind v6 rims v6 rims seem to be 15-16 inch sometimes 17 inch rims and smallest to fit cobra brakes seem to be 17 or 18 inch rims, so I would suggest getting a pair of stock gt rims ;) GL

oxford03cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
yeah u have cobra brakes I dont belive they will fit behind v6 rims v6 rims seem to be 15-16 inch sometimes 17 inch rims and smallest to fit cobra brakes seem to be 17 or 18 inch rims, so I would suggest getting a pair of stock gt rims ;) GL

A 16in wheel will fit in the rear without having to do any grinding

ttk53

Established Member
0314091745.gif

work great with some M/T ET Street 26x10.50's

CscottsSS

got boost?
Established Member
yeah but I meant up front being the brakes are 13" dual piston cobras right on the brembo rotor on my says actual dimension 13.5"" inches and says to run @ least a 17" or 18" inch rim min :beer: back is ok though :beer:

:dw: Why would I run them on the front??? Like my original post says I want them only for the rear for track outings and trips to Mexico. ttk53, what did you 60' with them and did you have any wheel hop? Thanks for all the replies guys, keep em coming.

Last edited:

ttk53

Established Member
:dw: Why would I run them on the front??? Like my original post says I want them only for the rear for track outings and trips to Mexico. ttk53, what did you 60' with them and did you have any wheel hop? Thanks for all the replies guys, keep em coming.

only had them out once and went 1.86 but that was the stock clutch and im pretty sure it was slipping. no hop and tires never spun

Last edited:

Fat-cat

Established Member
i think he is just looking at doing the rears anyway ( you wont need anything to bolt them up ) however front wont clear the breaks... you will need a spacer. I would just run whatever your rim combo is now in the front if you are not looking at getting a set of skinnies.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member

some guys do both there lighter and dont want to race theres with certain tires and there nice rims and tires :poke: sorry I was just trying to help you out, some guys dont kno that cobra brakes up front wont clear smaller rims unless you use spacers etc my friend found out that way when he put slicks and skinnies on his and didnt fit up front easy :beer:

Last edited:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i know you dont want a front, im just saying that obviously 17s would work up front because that's what the car came with. only issue is with cobra Rs and other big brake set ups.

as for the rear, you should be able to run a 15" wheel back there id imagine, certainly a 16.

due to the difference in the offsets for the IRS cobra and the V6, you may want to run a spacer to push the wheels out a little. id put them on first and decide from there.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
i know you dont want a front, im just saying that obviously 17s would work up front because that's what the car came with. only issue is with cobra Rs and other big brake set ups.

as for the rear, you should be able to run a 15" wheel back there id imagine, certainly a 16.

due to the difference in the offsets for the IRS cobra and the V6, you may want to run a spacer to push the wheels out a little. id put them on first and decide from there.

Yeah he will prob want to use spacers thats what my friend used in order to fit smaller rims on his brakes front and back esp with slicks etc.

CscottsSS

got boost?
Established Member
some guys do both there ligther and dont want to race theres with certain tires and there nice rims and tires :poke: sorry I was just trying to help you out, some guys dont kno that cobra brakes up front wont clear smaller rims unless you use spacers etc my friend found out that way when he put slicks and skinnies on his and didnt fit up front easy :beer:

It's all good, thanks. Sorry didn't mean to come off as an asshole. :beer:

i think he is just looking at doing the rears anyway ( you wont need anything to bolt them up ) however front wont clear the breaks... you will need a spacer. I would just run whatever your rim combo is now in the front if you are not looking at getting a set of skinnies.

Yes, just doing the rears and will be running my stock 17x9's on the front.

Thanks, I actually am already running a 1" H&R spacer on the rear with my stock 17x9's.

Users who are viewing this thread