School me on home security cam systems

thecrimson

Derpin
Established Member
Good stuff here. I might add, the ability to pan in/out while performing manual mode in the event a real-time event is occurring you want to record and/or see. A lot of the wireless cameras don't have the ability to see accurately for much further than 50 feet or so, at least the ones that I've seen, unless you get into more expensive units.

Here is one that I like the features of, albeit it doesn't offer zoom from what I can tell.
http://mammothtechnologies.com/prod...ty-camera?utm_source=googlepla&utm_medium=cpc

Zoom is cool, I guess my only thing would be how often would you use it. In the digital watchdog video, the ip zoom is insane. I'm definitely posting pics of what I end up going with as well as the install/end result.

sleek98

Established Member
Here is a quick grab from the online view.

The picture is better when viewing from the dvr itself. My internet at the house isn't the best so it knocks the quality down a bit.

The top left (pic of my mustang) is in black and white since it is pitch black in the garage right now.

Attachments

• screen grab 1.pdf
    54.5 KB · Views: 139

03'Darin

Established Member
Subscribing!

I just built a new house and ran quite a bit of Cat5 for this purpose. Actually pre-wired with plans for home automation and security. I have a buddy that lives about 1 1/2 away that does this on the side. He helped me put all of the wiring in place and planned to come back down to help me put a system together and install it. Unfortunately his schedule is so crazy that doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon.

I also ran bunch of electric conduit with pull strings through the house for anything additional.

I need to find a system now that's reasonably priced with good picture quality.

Please keep the info coming guys

lubrizolsfin3st

Established Member
I bought the Samsung wireless cameras at SAMs club and installed myself. Watch it on iPhone and it's awesome. I mounted my 4 on each corner on second story on my eves. Night vision also. The deer camera is a bad idea, anyone can see it and brake it.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I have the q-see 4 channel on my house. It does have night time but it only records black and white at night unless you have a light then it will record color. Mine is wired but it is easy to run. Good picture during the day, but not so good at night when the light is off. I think it cost me $300 but that was a couple of years ago. It all depends on how good you want the set up to be. I just wanted to deter and see outside of my house. Those cameras has saved me twice now once when I caught some fools breaking into my jeep and the other when my trailer trash neighbor said I assaulted her. So to me they paid off.
+1 On Q-See. For being budget cameras, they look great! VERY easy installation and you can also see it online.

ADT was charging me $60 a month I believe with the camera's, alarm, etc. IMO its a great price for all the protection you're getting. Free installation and all as well.

Ramairgt1

Whipped
Established Member
I installed a Night Owl 8 channel (4 cameras) system myself about a year ago.
Works like a charm, even caught my a/c service company lieing about putting freon in my a/c units last weekl!

Mach828

Established Member
Just picked up the Q-See setup for my house. Hopefully I'll get it installed within a week or so. Reviews seemed great, so we will see how it works out.

ThomasL

Established Member
Dropcam is sweet. Simple set up. App on your phone gives you a live feed. Night vision option, HD, and ability to communicate from phone through the cam. Also cloud storage allows you to go back weeks to review film.

03'Darin

Established Member
Just picked up the Q-See setup for my house. Hopefully I'll get it installed within a week or so. Reviews seemed great, so we will see how it works out.

Which one did you buy? I'll be curious to hear how you like it once its up and running. I've been researching what system to buy and it gets very overwhelming trying to compare all of the details with the different systems.

My research has led me to this Q-See system as being a hi res unit for a reasonable amount of money. http://www.bjs.com/q-see-8-channel-...-ip-cameras-and-2tb-hard-drive.product.270968

Mach828

Established Member
Which one did you buy? I'll be curious to hear how you like it once its up and running. I've been researching what system to buy and it gets very overwhelming trying to compare all of the details with the different systems.

My research has led me to this Q-See system as being a hi res unit for a reasonable amount of money. http://www.bjs.com/q-see-8-channel-...-ip-cameras-and-2tb-hard-drive.product.270968

I would love to have picked up that system! I got the 960H vs the 1080p, and only have 1TB of storage. The one you linked would be great for a larger house or business. I may add a 1080p dome once funds allow. I'm assuming with the 8 channel DVR I will be able to wire up to 8 cameras?

I got this one
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I2N6NVC/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

This link is pretty great for showing the some of the picture quality differences between the types of cameras.
http://www.security-camera-warehouse.com/knowledge-base/cif-vs-d1/

I have dogs, a monitored alarm system, and now with just these basic cameras I feel like the house will be fairly safe.

If my budget was a bit larger, I'd probably pick up this unit:
http://www.amazon.com/Q-See-QT714-4...1&keywords=q-see+1080p+security+camera+system

Last edited:

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Bruno-Large_zps55546029.jpg

dobermine_zps93c7d053.jpg

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Does ADT do cameras in sheds? They are framing up our new house now and we are looking into video cameras for our shed and a camera on our vechiles under our carport. I hear alarm companies dont do outside cameras.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
Does ADT do cameras in sheds? They are framing up our new house now and we are looking into video cameras for our shed and a camera on our vechiles under our carport. I hear alarm companies dont do outside cameras.

I know most if not all alarm companies around here do outside camera's. I know my company does at least.

What did they quote you for it? PM if you want, also PM me what your budget is and I will build you a system at my cost.

I wouldn't sell it to any of my customers as its a outdated technology. You will never see 50ft at night either with that few of IRs.
Also 720TVL is not the same as 720P as far as resolution.

720TVL Specs on camera they quoted you
Total pixels (H x V)
1020 x 596 (PAL)
1020 x 508 (NTSC)
Effective pixels (H x V)
976 x 582 (PAL)
976 x 494 (NTSC)

720P or 1.3MP camera specs
Max [email protected](1280x960)&25/30fps@720P(1280x720)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread