School me on buying a new vehicle

boost88

Established Member
So I've purchased one new vehicle in my life, wifes grand cherokee(2015). It was relatively simple since the vehicle was on the lot with the options she wanted. However since I'm looking at another truck I probably wont have as easy of a time. They sell like hotcakes once on the lot and pickings are slim.

I'm really tossing around the idea of just ordering what I what. I haven't made a full choice on what to go with but I'm really leaning towards a tundra, in my opinion features per dollar is probably one of the better on the market, as I really only care about a few things. Have to have bucket seats with a full center console, 4x4, and id prefer cloth seats. Nice things would be a large infotainment, sun roof, stuff like that definitely not deal breakers.

My biggest question is when and what to do. If I go online spec out a truck to my liking with features and price I like is that really what you pay? You can build x truck from any manufacture and get that MSRP but is that what you really pay in the end? Obviously taxes and any warranty you want to add will go on top of the price that I get. Just seeing so many horror stories about deal mark up and such. I refuse to pay someone 5k to order or sell me a truck, I'll just wait.

I can realistically wait 2-3 years if I need to. My current truck should make it that long no problems and ill just continue to save money in the mean time. Ideally id like to spend around 55k or less but well see how the market is. Any input on when to buy and the whole ordering a vehicle thing would be appreciated from those with experience.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
on the Tundra I would find one to drive that at least has the correct engine, I've seen a few people test drive them and not care for them. Gas mileage also seems to be poor compared to other trucks and it's not like the power justifies it.

with everyone doing these package deals it may be hard to get certain options individually but thats what the build and price tools are there for.

That being said - price should be agreed on before the order is submitted. If the dealer intends to mark up your order it should be known before it's placed. I've seen some dealers try to get a non-refundable deposit, wouldn't do it personally. Typically you are under no obligation to take the vehicle even once the order is placed.

boost88

Established Member
Yeah I was hoping he would chime in with the expert opinion. Also the tundra is going to a 3.5 TT platform to improve the mileage so I'll definitely do the research on that. Things like towing capacity and such don't really bother me because I don't tow. I built furniture and stuff so hauling plywood and lumber will be it's biggest chore

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So I've purchased one new vehicle in my life, wifes grand cherokee(2015). It was relatively simple since the vehicle was on the lot with the options she wanted. However since I'm looking at another truck I probably wont have as easy of a time. They sell like hotcakes once on the lot and pickings are slim.

I'm really tossing around the idea of just ordering what I what. I haven't made a full choice on what to go with but I'm really leaning towards a tundra, in my opinion features per dollar is probably one of the better on the market, as I really only care about a few things. Have to have bucket seats with a full center console, 4x4, and id prefer cloth seats. Nice things would be a large infotainment, sun roof, stuff like that definitely not deal breakers.

My biggest question is when and what to do. If I go online spec out a truck to my liking with features and price I like is that really what you pay? You can build x truck from any manufacture and get that MSRP but is that what you really pay in the end? Obviously taxes and any warranty you want to add will go on top of the price that I get. Just seeing so many horror stories about deal mark up and such. I refuse to pay someone 5k to order or sell me a truck, I'll just wait.

I can realistically wait 2-3 years if I need to. My current truck should make it that long no problems and ill just continue to save money in the mean time. Ideally id like to spend around 55k or less but well see how the market is. Any input on when to buy and the whole ordering a vehicle thing would be appreciated from those with experience.

If you opt for a Ford, just build it on the website, email me the order summary and I'll send you the price I'll sell it to you for. Pretty simple.

[email protected]

boost88

Established Member
If you opt for a Ford, just build it on the website, email me the order summary and I'll send you the price I'll sell it to you for. Pretty simple.

[email protected]
Sounds good. I do like the tremor pretty comparable to the TRD pro. You're close enough too when it's time if I go ford I'll be in touch for sure

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

smitty2919

Established Member
I can't speak for Toyota or Ford, but we were looking for a "new truck" and researched used options for a 2010+ GMC 2500HD 4x4 early in 2021.

This was about the time the used car market was going nuts and used trucks were not worth the price when we realized what a new truck was.

We decided to go new and order one how we wanted...well by the time we sat down the dealer said he was unable to order a Sierra 2500HD since GM was reserving a lot of the components for the AT4 or Denali trims due to chip shortage. He could "place the order" but had no idea if it would be accepted to build or not lol.

Luckily we found a 2021 sitting on a dealer lot with 90% of what we wanted if we ordered one...so I immediately called and put it on hold with a CC. It was the only 25000HD they had on the lot. It had been "sold" and "released" 3 times for one reason or another so we had to act fast. Truck was built in March '21 and we got it in April '21.

I would suggest looking at the priced of used trucks in the trim/options you want but I have a feeling it's going to be overpriced (what isn't these days). Which then justifies going new.

Go into buying a new truck with a monthly payment in mind. Don't get taken for all the fancy BS some financial guys will try to sell you.You're not dealing with the salesman at that point. You deal with the "money guy" that at this point with what the market is doing, this process a dozen times a day lol. Know what you want to pay, don't let them "fast talk you" and just be honest/firm.

Years ago dealers would cater to the buyer wanting their business. I feel it's slightly "take it or leave it" with some dealers/salesman because the market is so hot.

But like 13COBRA mentioned, build it online, call around with build sheet and see who is willing to work with you. Not much wiggle room on new vehicles IMO...price is what it is assuming there is no markup like you see on something like the C8.

If Toyota has the equivalent of "GM Financing" which is a zero interest plan then do that if you can swing the monthly payment. It saves a TON of money not paying interest over the life of the loan.

Users who are viewing this thread