School banning tag, touch football, etc.

SQ Stang

I'm an SIT WOO WOO
Established Member
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061020/lf_afp/afplifestyleusschool_061020160352

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Two Massachusetts primary schools this week joined a growing list of US schools that have banned the age-old game of tag for fear that children may get hurt and their parents will sue.

Officials at McCarthy Elementary School in Framingham in the northeastern state, told local media that children have been ordered to invent a new no-contact version of the game for safety reasons.

"If the hands come out to touch, then the supervisors ask them to stop," McCarthy principal Joan Vodoklys was quoted as saying in the Boston Herald on Friday. "What we require is that children do not touch each other."

Gaylene Heppe, the principal at Willett Elementary School also in Massachusetts, said she had approved the ban on the classic playground game out of fear that accidents could happen.

The ban at Willet covers other contact sports such as touch football, another non- or low-contact game standard at US primary and secondary schools only a few years ago.

Elementary schools in the states of Wyoming and Washington have also recently banned tag during recess, in fear that possible injuries could leave the schools legally liable.

Tag, also called "it," "had" and other names, involves one or more players attempting to "tag" others by touching them with their hands, passing on the duty to chase another down and tag them."

This stuff is getting retarded...soon there won't even be a gym class. Kids will be banned from just running around. :nonono:

dredg9

Established Member
that has got to be the stupidest thing ive heard but it doesnt surprise me.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
That kind of crap is just dumb. What exactly are we as a society teaching our children? To be a bunch of pansy ass, sue happy whiners?

This crap has just got to stop. When is someone gonna just stand up and say enough of the madness?

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
You know I should thank you for bringing this up....I heard it on my way in this morning but managed to forget about it until reading it again just now. Now I'm pissed off all over again.

PhotonSabreX

Motor City Slicker
Established Member
SanDiego01Snake said:
i hate liberals

It has nothing to do with liberalism versus conservatism. We just live in a litigious society where everyone equally searches for any reason possible to sue the shit out of each other. That's just how our country is, all politicking aside.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
The new physical fitness approach of modern secular progressive diversity-focused educators to to have students play "drop the soap" in the shower room after gym class....

Anybody remember getting hit with the old "medicine ball"? Now THAT hurt. And we learned not to cry.

UCBeau

PhotonSabreX said:
It has nothing to do with liberalism versus conservatism. We just live in a litigious society where everyone equally searches for any reason possible to sue the shit out of each other. That's just how our country is, all politicking aside.
i was being a little facetious ;)

but yes the sue-happy culture (encouraged by the lawyers that spring up like weeds) is definetly making us a nation of pussies.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
SanDiego01Snake said:
i remember when they banned "smear the queer"

wtf? that game rocked.

I remember we played that during practice when I was in little guy football. I specifically remember rocking the kid that was the queer so hard he could barely stand.

Then I got rocked, seeing as I was the queer.

OH GOD PLEASE DON'T SIG THAT!

BittenInBama

Established Member
Way back....when I was in high school, they stopped us from playing tackle football. So we went to touch football. After a broken collar bone, cracked eye socket (whatever that bone that forms the outside of your eye socket is called), and broken arm in less than a month-we were told to we could no longer play touch either.

Oh, no law suits either. Guess that was the good news. Dont even remember any pissed off parents :shrug:

tistan

Established Member
PhotonSabreX said:

oh really, what canidates does the NEA support. If I had children I would sell my soul to satan before I let them step in a public school.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
FISHTAIL said:
That kind of crap is just dumb. What exactly are we as a society teaching our children? To be a bunch of pansy ass, sue happy whiners?

This crap has just got to stop. When is someone gonna just stand up and say enough of the madness?

yup bunch of thin skinned pussies are what parents are raising these days

Users who are viewing this thread