Schaeffer 5W50 Oil

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Here is a link to the spec sheet

Schaeffer 5W-50 info

It has API SL/SJ levels of ZDDP (~ 1200 ppm), so that's a plus versus current Motorcraft, Castrol, Pennzoil, and Mobil 1 5W-50. Red Line has ~1400 ppm

High Temp/High Shear is on par with Amsoil 20W-50 and Red Line 5W-50

TBN is a bit low versus Amsoil (7.1 vs. 12.1)

NOACK, this is where I can tell it's a true group IV base stock. If it wasn't, the numbers here would be greater than 10%.

I expect it to shear about the same as Red Line 5W-50 would, but that should be slightly less than Motorcraft, Castrol, Pennzoil, and Mobil 1 5W-50.

It has higher amounts of moly, which is an anti-wear additive. Red Line uses more than twice as much as this formulation of 5W-50.

If it were me, and you wanted to stick with a 5W-50, I would choose Red Line over Schaeffer. Unless you already have it, then it's more than suitable for use in your Shelby. By comparing spec sheets, and VOAs on Red Line, I would choose RL first.

What are the primary uses of your car? Daily driven, weekend fun, street racing, drag racing, road racing?

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I would like to add that I am noticing another advantage of using a true synthetic lubricant with less viscosity spread. Say a 10W-40/20W-50 versus a 5W-50.

NOACK Volatility:

Amsoil 10W-40 = 6.7%
Amsoil 20W-50 = 6.5%
Red Line & Schaeffer 5W-50 = 8.5-8.9%
MC, Castrol, Pennzoil, and Mobil 1 5W-50 = 10-12% *Thanks to a group III base stock*

The lower the % of NOACK Volatility, the less % of mass of the engine lubricant that is lost due to evaporation and burn off. If you have less evaporation, this means less of the engine lubricant is lost in vapor form, less will be sucked out of the crankcase via the PCV system, and less will be injected back into your supercharger.

For those with catch cans, this means longer intervals before you have to dump what is caught.

For those without, this means decreased contamination to the supercharger rotors and intercooler.

Just food for thought.

Last edited:

kens88gt

Established Member
Mine is a weekend driver only. Has never seen the track but doens't mean it won't.

Users who are viewing this thread