SCCA class and 99 Cobra

Cobrared03

I currently have a 99 Cobra and trying to place it in an SCCA class. I have the 4.6L bored out 020 over to a 5.0L with FR500 cams. I looked through the SCCA GCR and it only looks like i can race in T1. For the tech sheet the 99 cobra has to have a 4.6L but also in the rules it states up to 040 overbore, does this mean the 4.6 can be stock or bored up to 040? I also noticed only certain cars can run IRS for these classes and I'm not trying to switch out to a solid axle. I would preferably run in T2 if possible but the rules are kind of confusing me in some aspects. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Race NASA unless you like paying higher entry fees for less track time while being thrown into a class where you will never win a race ever.

I started out with SCCA lots of great people but the class structure sucks for a newer mustang. I raced in ITE which was fun except when the vipers showed up. I switched to NASA and haven't looked back. Going on my third year of racing a limited schedule in AI.

To expand on the above the AI rule set allows you to work on your car and mod it like it's a race car. Not like SCCA where the thing looks like it came out of the parking lot and had some decals and a number stuck on it.

SCCA further distanced itself from me when it introduced the majors program, where my regional race car wasn't even on the schedule that weekend because it was national classes only. Then the great minds came up with the rationals. Where regional racers could race on national weekends only catch was we were supposed to pay the national entry fee of nearly $500 per weekend!! $200 more dollars per race weekend? No thanks.

96EB37C2-AA87-46A7-8E29-78CC666D1427_zpsr5fw6dxj.png

Last edited:

Cobrared03

I looked into NASA first and am currently still a NASA member. But in my area i cant ever seem to find events where i want to race for NASA aka Watkins Glen. How much is a license in NASA? I already have an SCCA novice permit and am scheduled for a 5 day school. Would everything transfer to hold a NASA license?

Cobrared03

Also I didnt even see ITE in the 2014 GCR when i looked earlier today. it was like ITR, ITA, ITB, ITC i think...

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
ITE/ ITO it's not in the gcr. Should be in the regional supps but every region is different. It's a catch all for cars that don't fit into other classes.

SCCA recognizes a nasa comp liscense but nasa doesn't accept SCCA race liscences. I think my NASA comp liscence was $80 about the same as SCCA.

Looks like you are taking the same route to racing as I did, did my comp school with SCCA raced with them for a season then nasa central region came about.

Have you contacted the local nasa region director about the schedule? Get on nasaforums.com and search up your local region and ask questions.

Edit**
I just looked at nasanortheast.com and they're racing the Glenn in sept.

www dot nasaproracing dot com has lots of good info, schedules, rules etc.

Last edited:

blacksheep-1

Established Member
NASA is generally much better group to race in IMO, more racer friendly and they don't have some 90 year old race steward looking to bust your hump over some minor infraction. I remember when I went to my SCCA school, they wanted ALL competition driver experience listed, I had a WKA pro shifter kart and an unlimited license. The SCCA instructor took n,o kidding, 15 minutes to denigrate kart racers even though there was me (a regional) and a national champion in the class. srsly?

Users who are viewing this thread