Scam, Federal Charge?

04spinbra

Established Member
Hey Everyone, I have a question for those that would know! My Sister's mail didn't come this weekend a debit card came today with a hold request from 3/4 to 3/7 but she didn't request for it to be held. Well she got her mail and it came with a debit card(she didn't ask for) in a envelope, so she opened it and found it had a $100.00 in the account and when she called to cancel it found out it has $28,000.00 waiting for the ok!

So my questions is: can someone get Federal or State Charges put on them for holding mail(I know it is if you mess with mailboxes)when she finds out who did it and is it a Federal Charge to open an account someones name?

-Mike:beer:

Last edited:

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
i didnt understand that. put this is donut shop for better exposure.

1) what didnt come?
2) didnt request what to be held?
3) what came with a debit card?
4) are you drunk?

you sound like the scammer.

Last edited:

04spinbra

Established Member
i didnt understand that. put this is donut shop for better exposure.

1) what didnt come?
2) didnt request what to be held?
3) what came with a debit card?
4) are you drunk?

you sound like the scammer.

1. The Mail
2. The Mail
3. $100 in the account with $28000 pending the OK
4. Nope don't drink that much!

Not even close but we think its the Grandkids!

Monster Mach

Established Member
Anything to do with mail today is huge.. opening holding destroying.. in one way or another is mail fraud

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
fixed

Hey Everyone, I have a question for those that would know! My Sister's mail didn't come this weekend and a debit card came today with a hold request from 3/4 to 3/7 but she didn't request for it to be held. Well she got her mail and it came with a debit card(she didn't ask for) in a envelope, so she opened it and found it had a $100.00 in the account and when she called to cancel it found out it has $28,000.00 waiting for the ok!

So my questions is: can someone get Federal or State Charges put on them for holding mail(I know it is if you mess with mailboxes)when she finds out who did it and is it a Federal Charge to open an account someones name?

Last edited:

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Adam, correct me if i am wrong here. in order for a charge to be issued for the "holding" of mail, theft intent would have to be substantiated. the opening of someone elses mail without consent is a crime.

credit card fruad charges vary and can be vague. i believe your best shot be obtaining by false pretense.

Hockeyman48

Established Member
Are you saying the account has a pending balance of 28K + the existing 100 dollars? Meaning a 28K deposit was made and the financial institute is holding it until it clears?
Not exactly sure what you mean by "28K waiting for the OK"

04spinbra

Established Member
Are you saying the account has a pending balance of 28K + the existing 100 dollars? Meaning a 28K deposit was made and the financial institute is holding it until it clears?
Not exactly sure what you mean by "28K waiting for the OK"

Exactly just waiting on the money to clear!

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Hey Everyone, I have a question for those that would know! My Sister's mail didn't come this weekend a debit card came today with a hold request from 3/4 to 3/7 but she didn't request for it to be held. Well she got her mail and it came with a debit card(she didn't ask for) in a envelope, so she opened it and found it had a $100.00 in the account and when she called to cancel it found out it has $28,000.00 waiting for the ok!

-Mike:beer:

I'm having a hard time understanding your post.

Let me see if I got this straight:

1) Your sister's mail didn't come on Saturday (they don't deliver on Sunday). And you suspect that it was held.

2) When it came today it had a debit card in it for an account at a bank.

3) Since your sister didn't open that account, or order a debit card, she called the bank in an effort to close the account and learned that it had $100.00 in it and a check had been deposited in the amount of $28,000.00 which was waiting to clear before the funds became available.

Assuming this is what you said:

1) You will have a hard time proving that the mail was held and if so, by whom. Forget about that.

2) This appears, as someone else noted, to be a case of identity theft.

3) The question then becomes one of how to handle it.

There are various options available.

1) Get the $28,000.00 out of the bank once the check clears before the crook(s) do and run! hahaha

or

1) Report it to law enforcement. They may or may not do anything about it. However, they may get excited when they realize that there is $28,000.00 that will hit the account in days. Its probably ill gotten funds and may be seized. Plus, catching the lady who is pretending to be your sister may well lead to other crooks and likely a drug/money laundering operation.

2) Have your sister, along with law enforcement, go to that bank and report the shady transaction. They may put a hold on the funds in an effort to catch the crook. They likely can pull bank video and get images of who opened the account. When the person show's up to withdraw or transfer the funds in some fashion, the cops can be called and arrest her.

3) Of course, this may place your sister in some peril since the crook(s) obviously know your sister's address.

Let us know what happens. :pop:

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
Yeah thats kinda what I think! But I told her it could be Federal charge since someone stopped the mail!

LOL!!

Anything to do with mail today is huge.. opening holding destroying.. in one way or another is mail fraud

LOL!! Some crackhead stole my mail like 10 years ago and forged my name on about 10 of my mileage checks that still came in the mail (so stupid, everything else was direct deposit.) I called the popos and had my mail forwarded to a friend's place until it got sorted out. The crackheads put in a change of addy form and had my mail forwarded back to the original location and did it again. All the popos did was ask them if they did it. They said no and that's all that ever happened with it, even thought I gave them copies of the forged checks. I had to have my mail forwarded yet again before they finally stopped. Don't get your hopes up. They have bigger fish to fry.

Last edited:

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
that's the first thing that came to my mind as well! teach 'em a lesson :rockon:

If it was $28,000,000.00 oh heck yea! For that amount, I can start a new life with a new name and the crooks will never find me. :rockon:

But for $28,000.00? You'd barely get out of town before you ran out of gas!

04spinbra

Established Member
I'm having a hard time understanding your post.

Let me see if I got this straight:

1) Your sister's mail didn't come on Saturday (they don't deliver on Sunday). And you suspect that it was held?!
We did not suspect, we recieved 3 pieces of paper with confirmation numbers on them for the Post office! Those papers said it was held

2) When it came today it had a debit card in it for an account at a bank.

Yes

3) Since your sister didn't open that account, or order a debit card, she called the bank in an effort to close the account and learned that it had $100.00 in it and a check had been deposited in the amount of $28,000.00 which was waiting to clear before the funds became available.

She told me that the bank said the account already had a $100.00 in it and as soon as the other check clears it will have another $28000.00 in it!

Assuming this is what you said:

1) You will have a hard time proving that the mail was held and if so, by whom. Forget about that.

2) This appears, as someone else noted, to be a case of identity theft.

3) The question then becomes one of how to handle it.

There are various options available.

1) Get the $28,000.00 out of the bank once the check clears before the crook(s) do and run! hahaha

or

1) Report it to law enforcement. They may or may not do anything about it. However, they may get excited when they realize that there is $28,000.00 that will hit the account in days. Its probably ill gotten funds and may be seized. Plus, catching the lady who is pretending to be your sister may well lead to other crooks and likely a drug/money laundering operation.

2) Have your sister, along with law enforcement, go to that bank and report the shady transaction. They may put a hold on the funds in an effort to catch the crook. They likely can pull bank video and get images of who opened the account. When the person show's up to withdraw or transfer the funds in some fashion, the cops can be called and arrest her.

3) Of course, this may place your sister in some peril since the crook(s) obviously know your sister's address.

Let us know what happens. :pop:

I'm thinking that it has something to do with her kids! I could be totally wrong and lets hope I am! But her kids are hellions!!!

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
don't cash out my new account, I need that 28k for a Nigerian prince, if you help me we can split the millions they have waiting in the offshore bank account

Monster Mach

Established Member
LOL!!

LOL!! Some crackhead stole my mail like 10 years ago and forged my name on about 10 of my mileage checks that still came in the mail (so stupid, everything else was direct deposit.) I called the popos and had my mail forwarded to a friend's place until it got sorted out. The crackheads put in a change of addy form and had my mail forwarded back to the original location and did it again. All the popos did was ask them if they did it. They said no and that's all that ever happened with it, even thought I gave them copies of the forged checks. I had to have my mail forwarded yet again before they finally stopped. Don't get your hopes up. They have bigger fish to fry.
Your first problem was 10 years ago... today the police waste time on stupid things instead of stuff that could actually be benificial

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member
My first thought (instinct) would be to get the money when it clears before the crooks do. Then spend half of it on artillery, rifles, machine guns, grenades, and attack dogs because I'd be willing to bet they know where she lives.

Users who are viewing this thread