SC Total Cost

Lee

Established Member
I've read lots of threads on this board about super chargers, but I've not seen any discussion around the total cost buying and installing one; all inclusive. I'm interested in adding an SC to my 95. I'm considering a Vortch, or maybe a KB. The kits are around $3000+ bucks! But what other costs are there? Additional parts that they didn't include in the kit? Dyno time? Etc.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Everything comes in each of the kits you listed. Install price varies by shop. I had my '98's Vortech initially installed for $400 but did all uninstall/reinstallations myself later.

Venomous98Cobra

Established Member
You can be looking at $600 to about $1000 on installation. Those number are affected by what you buy. If you buy a plain jane s/c and install it on a say 93 cobra then it could cost even less than $600. A buddy of mine and I installed a Paxton SN-89 on my 93 5.0 LX in only 2 1/2 hours. Now on the other hand my procharger has a 3-core intercooler and was installed on a 98 cobra that has a rather large motor crammed under the hood. Installation price depends on type of s/c and who does it but the price range above should be a good price range.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I have a question also. Does the SC come with larger injectors/chip/pump, etc?

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
Originally posted by Hissman

not any i have seen, however, there is one for a Mach I that just came out a votrech with most of the stuff you said. but that was for $6000...!
a s/c comes with most of the stuff you need, but you might want to prep your engine for the added power. new plugs, cap/rotor, wires, a tune, and so on.
Jd

KillrCobra

Established Member
You'll be fine with the stock kit as long as you don't get greedy with the boost. For the mod motors, I know the stock kit comes with everything you should need, but I'm not too sure about 302s. You'll find a lot of mixed views on whether you should stay with the FMU or just upgrade the injectors. I can tell you this though...people who start adding stuff to the stock kit usually have more problems then the ones who just left it alone. So you could just go with the stock kit, get it tuned, and be set. A chip with a tune will run about $400 and the install is free because you should just be able to install it yourself. Good luck! :beer:

Last edited by a moderator:

Venomous98Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Hissman
You can request them...ATI pretty much just has a sheet of paper with a bunch of options. If you want injectors you get them and if you want a chip you get the chip. I believe the race kit is the only one you dont have options with, which I got. If I had to do it again I would have still gone with the race kit. I love this thing.

Lee

Established Member
On a somewhat related thought, what about the cost of replacing the transmission? Our stock trannys are only rated to 300 ft-lbs of torque and most any SC will surpass this. Is the transmission going to be something that I'll enventually break and have to replace? Thus adding to the cost of SC ownership?

Lee

Established Member

Jman20427

Die Rise
Established Member
If u have the money, go procharger or paxton/vortech. Plenty of ppl are going 8 lbs on the stock driveline. T-5's are hit or miss. Some break stock, I know some that are in 10 sec street cars. Actually if have the money go turbo, wtf am I saying. haha

Users who are viewing this thread