Sc belt alignment is off.

Kyle03

Stupid question. The previous owner changed out the alternator and put some junk one in and it didn’t last long. Along with ripping a belt at high RPMS but the supercharger belt is way off from SC pulley to the snub idler below it and it’s been like that since I bought it. Bought new PA performance alternator thinking it might align it better but it didn’t. Will shimming the alternator fix this issue. Thanks for your help!!!

Attachments

• 68798521097__181C3172-ECD5-43D4-80CE-7ED72539AE76.jpeg
    68798521097__181C3172-ECD5-43D4-80CE-7ED72539AE76.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1629.jpeg
    IMG_1629.jpeg
    345.9 KB · Views: 41

olympic

Established Member
The snub idler is probably OK as long as the belt isn't hanging over the edge. My Metco idler looks like that with the belt right at the rear edge.

As for the alternator alignment, I'd suggest picking up a Gates DriveAlign laser alignment tool, part# ‎91075. Otherwise you're just guessing at what is out of alignment and by how much.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
If you zoom in on the first pic, you can see that the belt overhangs the back of the idler by a c-hair. It's also wearing a groove into the belt. I'm just spit-balling ideas here...is it possible the idler is on backwards or has a spacer behind it? Been a while since I messed with any of the pulleys so I might be full of shit by now.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
If you zoom in on the first pic, you can see that the belt overhangs the back of the idler by a c-hair. It's also wearing a groove into the belt. I'm just spit-balling ideas here...is it possible the idler is on backwards or has a spacer behind it? Been a while since I messed with any of the pulleys so I might be full of shit by now.
Take it apart and find out, not very many pieces

Users who are viewing this thread