SC and Pullies not lining up! (Kenne Bell 2.2)

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
I decided to put on my Kenne Bell today since I was off of work, and everything went great and smooth until I went to put the belt on, and I realized that the S/C snout seems to be too far back. I'm not sure how this could be, because i've torqued everything to spec, and everything appeared to line up perfect, but once I put the snub idler on, something appeared terribly wrong. I'll post a few pictures and maybe someone will have seen this before and can give me ideas as to what I should do. :fm:

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_01212.jpg

On the bright side of things, the Engine bay is looking great compared to the stock terminator appearance! I'll paint the "Powered by SVT" Coil covers DHG, same as the car before long.

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

Thoughts? I'm going to put a ruler on the crank tomorrow and see what's not lining up, but it appears that the blower is too far back by a 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

Last edited:

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
Just a thought, could this be the incorrect pulley, and the middle of this pulley where it meets the snout be too short? That seems to be the only thing I can possibly even think of, as the idlers lined up perfect before, and the blower doesn't really have any room for adjustment with the lower intake or base to lower intake bolts being very set on where they are.

If anyone has any experience in this, it would be of great assistance. :rockon:

Also, noticed the car kind of stumbling and smoke lightly started coming out of the tail-pipes. Right before starting this install I did the evenflow cooling mod. Could the smoke be that the cooling system needs to be burped?

91GT

Established Member
Have you started it like that?

I would expect a belt that is off that much would make quite the noise. It might be a problem with the idlers and inline with the crank and alt pulley. You have to put a straight edge on to determine where your problem is.

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
Have you started it like that?

I would expect a belt that is off that much would make quite the noise. It might be a problem with the idlers and inline with the crank and alt pulley. You have to put a straight edge on to determine where your problem is.

That's what I'm going to try tomorrow. However, when I had the Eaton on, those idlers fit perfect. I'm going to try and get ahold of Kenne bell asap and explore the possibility that I have the wrong pulley, which I'm hoping it's that simple.

Ironhand

Banned
Could be the wrong pulley. Is it possible that the KB is missing the small hub behind it by chance? Its such a small difference all things considering that is just odd. Ive never seen a problem like that.

AMB

Established Member
KB Pulley

KB makes only ONE type pulley for the 2.2, they just have different length snouts!!! :shrug:

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
KB makes only ONE type pulley for the 2.2, they just have different length snouts!!! :shrug:

Well , the guy I bought it from had it for his 2.8 he said. And I have a 2.2 with the new about style.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
sounds like it's a pulley problem. Hope you get it sorted out soon. I'll give you a call next time I'll be in tulsa so I can come by and help you clean up a few things.

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
sounds like it's a pulley problem. Hope you get it sorted out soon. I'll give you a call next time I'll be in tulsa so I can come by and help you clean up a few things.

Much appreciated man. I'm sure it'll look 100x better with all the vacuum sorted out.

AMB

Established Member
KB Snouts

The snout on the KB 2.8 is SHORTER than the snout on a KB 2.2 !!! They BOTH use the the SAME pulley !!! :read:

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
The snout on the KB 2.8 is SHORTER than the snout on a KB 2.2 !!! They BOTH use the the SAME pulley !!! :read:

Good info! then here lies the problem.... Here is my snout compared to SVT03Chris's. As you can see my pulley clearly overlaps the snout, not the case with his. Not really sure why this might be, so I took a pic of my snout without the blower so that maybe someone can tell me if i'm possibly missing something?

Mine:

IMG_01212.jpg

Chris':

b61e7d91.jpg

Without Pulley on:

1efede1e.jpg

41fd9ff6.jpg

AMB

Established Member
KB 2.2 Snout

I beleive you are missing the seal spacer between the pulley and the inner mounting flange. The spacer should stick out beyound the seal and it seals the oil inside the snout !!! :read:

Last edited:

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
Well that makes sense! I'll call Kenne Bell tomorrow, hopefully it's not an expensive piece.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I beleive you are missing the seal spacer between the pulley and the inner mounting flange. The spacer should stick out beyound the seal and it seals the oil inside the snout !!! :read:

I agree. It definitely appears you have nothing for that seal to ride on, so it would leak like like a sieve when running! Could you even turn the pulley without the belt on? It seems like without that spacer bushing, the pulley would lock down against the snout when tightened.:shrug:

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
I agree. It definitely appears you have nothing for that seal to ride on, so it would leak like like a sieve when running! Could you even turn the pulley without the belt on? It seems like without that spacer bushing, the pulley would lock down against the snout when tightened.:shrug:

Nah, pulley would turn fine, and would turn the rotors, as the outside did in fact clear the snout, which is probably why I never noticed it! None the less, I got ahold of Matt@KB and he's sending me one of those spacers for 25 bucks, so this should be taken care of!

Thanks everyone for your input! Can't wait for this build to be done!

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I got my spacer in from Matt @ KB today after he accidentally sent the wrong one a couple days ago :bash:. Spacer fit great, realized I already had the seal I needed in, so I've got an extra just in case. Install was easy and the pulley is RIGHT where it needs to be.

HUGE thanks and appreciation to everyone in this thread, and can't wait to report back with numbers! :rockon:

Dakota

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
Do you have a "EARLY" or "LATE" KB 2.2 ??? I have a "EARLY" KB 2.2!!!

I'm pretty certain mine is the 'new' style snout, as it's referred to. I guess the pulley bolt is a little bigger, and alot of the earlier 2.2's have the infamous 'Catch can' that mine does not have. So i'm 99.99% positive I have a "New" 2.2. :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread