saw Rambo, LIKED IT. (weapon talk)

tbizzle

Established Member
I thought they did an awesome job on the movie. It is short, but it's got some good action, good message too. Not nearly as cheesy as the previews made it seem like, thank God. Pretty realistic too, but...i'm pretty critical of movies (especially weapon scenes), so here's a few things i noticed.

I 100% recommend it!!!

Spoilers:

*edit: the .50 rifle has minimal recoil. proved wrong

*edit: the .50 rifle can be silenced. proved wrong

*when rambo reloads the .50 cal on the turret, he doesn't rack it twice. oh well, just a movie i know

*One scene where one of the mercs threw a frag grenade, it exploded upon impact, instead of lasting a few seconds (i know, its a movie lol)

Last edited:

SRNA

Established Member
There are videos on the net of .50 cals being fired from the shoulder. The gun is very heavy and dissipates alot of the recoil. That is 100% believable. As far as the silencer goes, I don't know. Typically a silencer works better on subsonic ammo, like a .45 cal for example. On the other hand, I know that some AR rifles, which are .223s are silenced and are very quiet and they are not subsonic rounds. I am not sure. I wondered that myself.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
the m107 (barrett 82a1) has a floating barrel and transmits a significantly reduced level of recoil to the shooter. The 95, on the other hand, has a rigid barrel & kicks a little bit but it wouldn't shatter your hip. IMO, the muzzle blast of the 95 is ten times worse to endure than the recoil.

tbizzle

Established Member
There are videos on the net of .50 cals being fired from the shoulder. The gun is very heavy and dissipates alot of the recoil. That is 100% believable.

no no, it's normal for a .50cal rifle to be fired from the shoulder, i've done it myself. i'm talkin about how the 'sniper' fires it. he just raises the muzzle up and fires it!

he doesn't even brace it against his leg, so in reality, that scenario would've ended up with him shattering his hip/leg. but hey, its a movie...

and there is NO way to silence a .50 cal rifle. it shakes the ground around it, the boom can be heard over a mile away.

Last edited:

tbizzle

Established Member
the m107 (barrett 82a1) has a floating barrel and transmits a significantly reduced level of recoil to the shooter. The 95, on the other hand, has a rigid barrel & kicks a little bit but it wouldn't shatter your hip. IMO, the muzzle blast of the 95 is ten times worse to endure than the recoil.

well he doesn't brace it against anything. he just fires it in the air, with the stock...maybe 6 inches away from his leg. that rifle would kick back like a son-of-a-bitch! it probably woulda put a hurtin on his leg

HIGDON

Keeping The Red In
Established Member
Supressors work on good ole issue ammo, just not as well as they would on subsonic ammo. We use suppressors for cqb to take the sting/flash out of .223, especially in the brick/concrete buildings, etc.

usmcrebel

Established Member
ok, i am here to put down all your worries and fears, the sniper had a barrett m107 as stated before the weapon has a freefloating barrel and the way it is designed it allows you to shoot from the standing in "rapid" seccession (10 rounds 20-30secs.) the grain most commonly used by sniper is the 671 grain for better aero (lol @ aero for that), and yes you can use a silencer with it, and it will only sound like a .223, and in very rainy noisy (the party) conditions you cant hear that.

(0331 FTMFW baby)
now for the .50, the most bad ass scene in the movie, he might've racked it again once is cut away who knows (work with me) but that damn 100rds lasted a lot longer than it would in real life...trust me i got kicked in the head 2x's for this shit, and the barrel would've been a little hot. thats my only beef with it.

the throat scene
hehe.... it only takes 8lbs of pressure to crush a human throat, and a little over 14-16 to tear it out.

tbizzle

Established Member
ok, i am here to put down all your worries and fears, the sniper had a barrett m107 as stated before the weapon has a freefloating barrel and the way it is designed it allows you to shoot from the standing in "rapid" seccession (10 rounds 20-30secs.)

so, i'm assuming that this rifle has minimal recoil with this design, but what about firing it the way he did in the movie? any powerful rifle is gonna kick back, and he has absolutely no control over the rifle with his stance and the way he was holding it. it looked like it would've shot back and busted his leg

the grain most commonly used by sniper is the 671 grain for better aero (lol @ aero for that), and yes you can use a silencer with it, and it will only sound like a .223, and in very rainy noisy (the party) conditions you cant hear that.

so, this is a subsonic round? guess i'm a little skeptical still, i've never heard of a subsonic .50cal round lol. just curious, what's the fps on it?

Last edited:

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
Spoilers:

*when the 'sniper' fired that shot in the air (Barrett .50??) he would've shattered his hip. there's no way you can fire that .50cal in the air without properly bracing it against something, ie. YOUR SHOULDER

You must have never fired one of those. Believe it or not, it has a light recoil. Some of the training videos release when the M82A1 SASR first came out showed a guy shooting it one handed with it resting on a table. It wasn't braced against anything. I've fired this weapon and can attest to the fact that it can be fired the way it was portrayed in the movie.

HIGDON

Keeping The Red In
Established Member
so, i'm assuming that this rifle has minimal recoil with this design, but what about firing it the way he did in the movie? any powerful rifle is gonna kick back, and he has absolutely no control over the rifle with his stance and the way he was holding it. it looked like it would've shot back and busted his leg

so, this is a subsonic round? guess i'm a little skeptical still, i've never heard of a subsonic .50cal round lol. just curious, what's the fps on it?

1) The amount of force required to "bust" a femur or pelvis is going to come from the business end of the rifle, not the butt.

2) That being said, a 671 .50 is ~2800+ fps, a 5.56 is around 3050+ fps, hardly subsonic. (FYI .50 muzzle energy is 11,500 ft/lb while a 5.56 is only ~1200 ft/lb, so despite the slower MV there is a much larger boom...physics lesson later) Speed of sound in perfect cond. is 1130, anything below 1130 is subsonic. With a suppressor you can expect a the MV to decrease but not below the barrier with conventional ammo. The result is a slightly lower MV and absorbtion of the sound at the muzzle, but the bullet will blast the sound barrier still making an audible signature...just quieter. The 5.56 with a supressor makes a naked ear bareable "pop".

For a round to be almost silenced, subsonic ammunition is needed, however a suppressor can be used to reduce the sound signature of a round (like I mentioned above).

fa110ut

Established Member
I was :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: through that whole last scene.

Brutal stuff. I loved it.

Last edited:

tbizzle

Established Member
1) The amount of force required to "bust" a femur or pelvis is going to come from the business end of the rifle, not the butt.

2) That being said, a 671 .50 is ~2800+ fps, a 5.56 is around 3050+ fps, hardly subsonic. (FYI .50 muzzle energy is 11,500 ft/lb while a 5.56 is only ~1200 ft/lb, so despite the slower MV there is a much larger boom...physics lesson later) Speed of sound in perfect cond. is 1130, anything below 1130 is subsonic. With a suppressor you can expect a the MV to decrease but not below the barrier with conventional ammo. The result is a slightly lower MV and absorbtion of the sound at the muzzle, but the bullet will blast the sound barrier still making an audible signature...just quieter. The 5.56 with a supressor makes a naked ear bareable "pop".

For a round to be almost silenced, subsonic ammunition is needed, however a suppressor can be used to reduce the sound signature of a round (like I mentioned above).

Ok, guess i've been proved wrong on the recoil of the rifle, guess i thought it had more of a kick. I was thinkin like, holdin a 10 guage off to your side, not bracing against anything, and firing. It kicks your arms back a lot. I was thinkin it would've been like triple that with a .50 round, being it has a lot of power behind it.

So, with that .50 rifle capable of being silenced, is it really gonna be quiet enough to go unnoticed, say, with the conditions like in the "party" scene in the movie?

I've shot an Armalite AR50 and it shook the ground, shakes your frikkin brain for that matter. I was thinkin there was no way to make it "conventionally silenced" to where you can actually utilize the rifle in enemy territory

Users who are viewing this thread