satellite internet, anyone using it???

got hp

SVT Connoisseur
Established Member
My cable company can give a rats ass about getting thier stuff working and DSL is not an option because we live to far yada, yada. This dialup is like driving a festiva and it's starting to piss me off. The service I was looking at is through Wildblue via AT&T and only goes up to 1.5Mb dl speed. They did back the contract off to 1 year instead of 2 but I'm looking for some reassurance before I pay the $300 in equipment and am stuck in the contract for a year.

Any advice or input would be appreciated.

got hp

SVT Connoisseur
Established Member
local landline is AT&T but the new sat system is two way and no tel line is needed. If it was using a tel line I wouldn't even consider it.

got hp

SVT Connoisseur
Established Member
they do now. They were specific in telling me no telephone line was required. Check it out www.wildblue.com

it is a seperate satellite dish from dish or direct tv tv satellites.

Last edited:

tistan

Established Member
weird. Still. Weather affected internet FTL.

Hell, my power goes out at the first sprinkle. My cable modem is affected by weather too.

How much does satellite TV and internet cost? I have comcast, and my basic digital cable with internet is $128 a month. If satellite can substantially cut my cost then I will give it a try.

97samssnake

Established Member
I have WildBlue internet. Its a big upgrade from dialup, but it sucks not being able to get on the internet or watch tv when it rains. But at least I can watch videos when its not raining.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Is that 100 channels? How much is the internet part of it?

yeah. 100 channels its actually more than 135, 200 is more than 230 and the 250 is more than 275.

DSL is what your local provider charges.

Embarq ranges from 19.95-44.95 for 768K-5.0 meg

tistan

Established Member
How does the 44.95 package compare to cable interenet as far as speed goes. The internet part of my cable bill is $43 a month so that it almost the same as the satellite.

got hp

SVT Connoisseur
Established Member
I have WildBlue internet. Its a big upgrade from dialup, but it sucks not being able to get on the internet or watch tv when it rains. But at least I can watch videos when its not raining.

any complaints with speeds or reliabilty aside from weather issues? Have they treated you well or left you to fend for yourself? Customer service ok? Which plan do you have (speed)?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread