Satelite Internet

BittenInBama

Established Member
Need some input, who has satelite internet and what do you think of it? How does it compare to cable as far as speeds uploading/down loading?

We had to move into a rental house for a few months and there is no cable availability and dial up isn't really an attractive option either.

Any differences in Hughes & Dtv?

Blk04Snake

Established Member
I had hughes for a long time, finally with some help of friends at the telco I was able to get a DSL line to my home. It's faster than dialup, but at peak times, it has been known to slow to a crawl. You have download limits depending on the price of your plan, and when they lock you down, it's slower than dialup. IMHO alot of shortcomings to satellite internet at this point, hopefully in the future they improve it.

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
Ive got WildBlue satellite internet. Its pretty slow. Like you its my only option until broadband through the powerlines. No matter what option you choose its too slow to game on PS3, 360. Ive got the lowest option and its pretty slow at $55 a month download 512kbps upload128kbps. And didnt notice much different with the middle at $80 download at 1.0mbps upload at 200kbps.Oh and if you go over your allowed usage per month the speed is downgraded lower than dialup. Read the contract well!!!

txyaloo

Established Member
Hughes and DTV are the same. If DTV = directv.

We had satellite for quite a few years starting with the one way product. We switched over to the two way product 4-5 years ago and dumped it last year. If it's the only thing available to you, it's better than dialup. As mentioned, at peak times, your speed will be much less than the advertised max speed. Also, every satellite company has a fair access policy. If you download more than XXmb in XX minutes, they will drop your speed to below dial up. It's also horrible for games and voip and won't work with a corporate VPN.

A better solution is an air card through your cell company. Rev A cards are faster than satellite.

Stroszek

Goes to 11
Established Member
No DSL available to me so I've been using Hughes for the last 6 years. Occasionally find myself at the mercy of the weather. Heavy rain or snow accumulation.

I pay 79.99/mo for download speeds of around 1450 kb/s and a download limit of around 550 Mb/24 hr period. Use to pay 59.99 for download speeds of around 650 kb/s and a download limit of 250 Mb/24 hr period. I upgraded for speed and exceeding the Fair Access Policy to many times. As mentioned above, they'll shut you down to dial up speeds if you do. I don't have any other choice but to be happy with it and I am 98% of the time.

Last edited:

johnwynn

Established Member
Is Bellsouth DSL available? My parents live out in Toney and was having the same problem but did research and the DSL was there.

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
I pay 79.99/mo for download speeds of around 1450 kb/s and a download limit of around 550 Mb/24 hr period...

Holy crap Batman, that sux all the way around.
I'm not flaming you I understand you have no other alternatives, but WOW.

x_man586

Going to UTI
Established Member
We had Hughesnet and hated it. The FAP was a joke. We upgraded to the 400mb cap and would exceed it every other day. We have Alltel Access now and it is way better. Quicker and no cap.

txyaloo

Established Member
We had Hughesnet and hated it. The FAP was a joke. We upgraded to the 400mb cap and would exceed it every other day. We have Alltel Access now and it is way better. Quicker and no cap.

Be careful with your alltel aircard. Now that Verizon has taken over, it's no longer unlimited downloads. You'll have a 5gb limit a month. After that, they charge $ 0.25 per megabyte or just cancel your service.

txyaloo

Established Member
Yeah I heard about that. But consider this. 5gb with alltel/verision vs 400mb vs Hughesnet.

That's true, but the hughesnet is 400mb/day which is around 8gb a month.

I fully agree an aircard is a better choice. I was just throwing that out there for Alltel people being switched over to Verizon or people looking for an aircard plan.

Scout238

Eaton Poweredddddd!!!
Established Member
Sat internet sucks... I would take a steady 56K over it because of the reliability and price.

Also ping rates on Satellite are ridiculously high. 56K ~200ms Satellite ~2000 ms

Last edited:

TGS2

Dr.Gonzo
Established Member
I have it because no one provides high speed where my house is. Ours is through Sprint. It's okay I guess. Slower than Cable for sure, but mush faster than dial up. The good thing is you can use it anywhere if you have a laptop. Take it on vacation or whatever.

txyaloo

Established Member
Thanks everyone!!

Gonna check into DSL. I don't have a landline phone so I don't yet know how all that will work either.

Most places can install a dry loop where you don't need a landline.

If DSL doesn't work out and before spending a ton on the satellite equipment, definitely check into aircard service with Verizon or Sprint.

Users who are viewing this thread