Sanity check for Service quote from Ford...

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
So I had a waterleak completely flood out the body channel underneath the plastic side sill step plates several weeks back, highest point of water was near the drivers side cabin vent on the back of the cab. Got everything dried out completely through much effort and finally got my truck in for service this week. Got the call last night that the repair wont be covered by my extended "Premium Care" warranty plan, the pooter says its a trim piece and not covered. They reached out and are trying to get Ford to cover it, still waiting to hear back on that.

Here is the reason for my post, they are quoting me $1600 to replace it if the bed has to come off and $1050 if it stays on. Granted my only experience with this vent is from researching the possible source of my leak but this just sounds outrageous for what appears to be a ~$35 part (HC3Z-25280B62-B) that can be replaced from the inside. Its not that the cost bothers me, it seems like Im getting gouged on it so here are my questions for the Service people or those with experienced chasing a water leak on here.

-Is this estimate accurate for the amount of work to be accomplished???
-Is the HC3Z-25280B62-B vent panel the correct one I need along with a few feet of weather strip tape to replace it myself???
-If you chased down and repaired a waterleak would you do it again or just let the dealer take care of it???

While Im leaning towards doing this myself the only thing holding me back is that if my truck still leaks the dealer would be on the hook to find and fix it vice me starting all over again. Thanks in advance and yes, this is a first world problem.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Do you have a pic of area that needs fixed?
Not my truck but this is where its located on my Raptor, have watched videos of people pulling and replacing these from the inside. I assume the majority of the work is removing the components, trim and carpet thats on the back of the cab. I can reach this from underneath the truck as well as I did that to make sure mine was seated fully and cleaned off some leaves that were on the fins.

rear cab vent.jpeg

SHOdown220

Established Member
Water leaks can be tricky, I don’t work for ford anymore so I can’t look up the book time for the vent you are talking about but I would think if they know what needs to be replaced they would already know if the bed needs to be removed to access it? Unless the vent is in addition to repairing a body seam split or something I’m not sure.

Anyways the price does seem high but I have zero idea what piece it is they are replacing or what is involved. We typically use a 3rd party guy and his whole job is to find and fix water leaks. He’s not cheap but he does good work and typically includes removing carpet and drying underneath and replacing sound deadening material to prevent mold. Most of his repairs I’ve dealt with have been under $500.

Might be worth trying to fix yourself but you’re right if you pay the dealer and it still leaks they should be on the hook for it. I wouldn’t expect ford to cover it as I haven’t come across an extended warranty in my career that will cover water leaks or trim pieces.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Sometimes it is wiser allowing the dealership to do something rather than using the instinctual gearhead mentality.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
The Ford ESP won't cover it, period.

So let's assume it's $1,600 to repair it.

My hourly door rate is $153.93. So a $35 part (using your number, I didn't look it up), and 10 hours of labor. Probably isn't too terribly far off.

Jesus Christ! LOL, That's not a bust on you Nick. Just labor shock LOL. I'm familiar with it since I built my 65 Mustang myself. I couldn't afford to have someone else do it for me at those labor rates.

This is another reason I don't go to dealerships anymore. Last time I have been to a dealership was back in 2016. Just too expensive if it's not covered under warranty.

@*Jay* If the repair is not covered under warranty I would not pay $1,600 to install a $35 part. If you have the time, patience, skill and desire I say do it yourself.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
The Ram 1500 had a water leak from the sunroof - the drain tube was not connected. Ram covered it 100%. Interior was completely removed. Carpet and sound deadening was removed and replaced. Again, they covered it 100%.

So you're telling us that the "trim piece" you circled, which actually looks like a functional insert and not trim, caused a leak and Ford isn't going to cover anything? That's real retarded, sir.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Jesus Christ! LOL, That's not a bust on you Nick. Just labor shock LOL. I'm familiar with it since I built my 65 Mustang myself. I couldn't afford to have someone else do it for me at those labor rates.

This is another reason I don't go to dealerships anymore. Last time I have been to a dealership was back in 2016. Just too expensive if it's not covered under warranty.

@*Jay* If the repair is not covered under warranty I would not pay $1,600 to install a $35 part. If you have the time, patience, skill and desire I say do it yourself.

We're still pretty low in our area.

I have buddies that have luxury stores that they're in the $300-600/hr range.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member

Yea, Im right there with you on the "labor shock" part.

The Ram 1500 had a water leak from the sunroof - the drain tube was not connected. Ram covered it 100%. Interior was completely removed. Carpet and sound deadening was removed and replaced. Again, they covered it 100%.

So you're telling us that the "trim piece" you circled, which actually looks like a functional insert and not trim, caused a leak and Ford isn't going to cover anything? That's real retarded, sir.
Unfortunately it looks like you got it right. Still waiting to hear back from the dealer but Im glad as **** that I took care of removing the water and drying my interior completely out myself. Otherwise Im sure the carpet, sound deadener and who knows what else would have been added to the bill.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
We're still pretty low in our area.

I have buddies that have luxury stores that they're in the $300-600/hr range.
Thanks for your input by the way, nice to know its not an outlandish or dishonest quote. Any way you can see what the authorized repair time is for replacement of that part???

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice, can I download from that site??? Been meaning to pick up a manual for the Raptor.
Once you make an account and you access you can print off whatever you need. 3/Days access 21.95. If you want to outright buy a manual you should beable to find it here..... If there is anything else I can do to help just let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread