sandy support helicopter

wht93gted

Established Member
My truck took some damage from driving through 4ft deep water, not bad, only a few pulley's. Speaking of which, it's amazing that within 48hours, bearings in 3 pulleys went bad.

Anyway, I was outside fixing it and saw him circling above, then starting to about 25yds away at the little league fields. I walked down and watched him land.

It seemed like maybe something was wrong? They got out and 1 of the guys climbed up onto the rear rotor and was messing with it. I dunno, I didn't watch, I went home and grabbed my snazzy new camcorder.

Check out the HD full-screen video of them leaving.
Anyone know which branch this is? There weren't any markings. Or are some guys in black suits coming for me now?
hurricane sandy support helicopter - YouTube

Here's a pretty good album of the destruction to Seaside:
Hurricane Pics I took | Facebook

The response seems to have been pretty good so far.
FEMA will be at my in-laws house this morning.

Here is today’s update on DoD’s response to Hurricane Sandy (as of 3 p.m. EDT)

U.S. Northern Command

• The USS Wasp is due to arrive off the coast of New York today and the USS San Antonio and the USS Carter Hall will arrive on Nov. 2. Once in place, these vessels will be prepared to support potential Defense Support of Civil Authorities (DSCA) missions. They will also be available to provide refueling and command and control of DoD helicopter support missions in the area. Available assets include:

- Four MH-60S with rescue swimmers (medium lift/SAR rotary wing) are onboard the USS San Antonio and ready for tasking.

- Four MH-53E (heavy lift helicopters on prepare to deploy orders in Norfolk, Va.) are scheduled to fly onto the USS Wasp today joining two MH-60S (with rescue swimmers) already aboard.

• DoD continues to support the un-watering mission and is currently moving 120 high-flow water pumps with more than 400 qualified personnel to New York and New Jersey. DoD elements are also performing an assessment of the Hoboken terminal alongside local, state, and federal civilian partners.

• Yesterday, the secretary of defense approved the use of National Defense Reserve Fleet vessels for first responder lodging in New York and New Jersey. Three ships, the TS Empire State, TS Kennedy, and FV Wright are assigned to this mission and will be moved to support lodging as requested by Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). The TS Empire State is currently in New York and was used last night to shelter on-site first responders.

• At the request of FEMA, DoD continues to provide Westover-Massachusetts, McGuire-Dix Lakehurst-New Jersey, Dover-Delaware, and a federal staging area at Fort Devens-Massachusetts as incident support bases (ISB) and base support installations (BSI).

• Eight active duty helicopters are in place at Hanscom Air Force Base, Mass., to support search and rescue and logistics missions.

• The following forces are prepared to deploy within 24 hours in response to anticipated FEMA requests to respond the effects of Hurricane Sandy:

- 14 helicopters are available for awareness and assessment and search and rescue. Approximately eight heavy lift aircraft are available for potential evacuations.

Engineer unit and logistical support units are also available for supporting response.

U.S. Transportation Command

• U.S. Transportation Command completed the transport of 120 medical professionals into the affected areas yesterday. These disaster medical assistance teams (DMAT), including doctors and nurses, are caring for at-risk nursing home residents and other at-risk elderly.

Defense Logistics Agency

• Class I commodities (food):

-- 1.5 million meals (55 trucks) began arriving in New York from Charleston and Martinsburg, W.Va. The last truck will arrive this evening.

-- 1.3 million meals are staged at vendor facilities, awaiting movement orders.

-- Vendors are also ramping up to produce an additional 1.3 million to 2.8 million meals/day, depending on FEMA requirements.

• Class III commodities (fuel):

-- 60 fuel trucks carrying approximately 200,000 gallons of fuel have arrived at ISB in Westover Air Force Base, Mass., and McGuire Air Force Base, N.J.

-- Fuel contractors have an additional 600,000 gallons available (with trucks) in southwestern Virginia.

• Generators

-- Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) has ordered three generators (2000 and 1500kw). They are slated to arrive at ISB McGuire on Nov. 3.

• The department is ready to assist civilian authorities with temporary emergency power with 200 generators staged at forward locations. The United States Army Corps of Engineers has teams deployed to strategic locations in New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania and has the resources to haul, install, operate and maintain generators where requested.

National Guard

• The National Guard in New York and New Jersey continues to stand up forces for response and recovery operations. New York relief efforts are focused on Nassau and Suffolk Counties, Long Island, and the New York City area.

-- 2,310 New York Guardsmen are on duty conducting search and rescue, assisting with neighborhood health and comfort searches (knocking on doors), logistics, harbor patrol, and transportation for engineers.

-- 2,073 New Jersey Guardsman are supporting New Jersey responders. Mission sets include shelter support, debris removal, and power generation.

• The National Guard is also deploying air assets to assist:

-- 198 light/medium and four heavy lift rotary-wing aircraft are available to perform reconnaissance and personnel/cargo carrying missions.

-- The National Guard deployed eight light/medium lift helicopters to ISB McGuire to conduct search and rescue operations.

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
They are coming for you now...you're in a lot of trouble. J/K nah it actually looked like Air Force to me

DaleM

Sebring SVTOA
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The ones you seen were UH-60s. Likely NG but could have been off the ship. They usually have HH60s available.
MH53s, you need 3 to get one on site, LOL! Glad to see the military helping!

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
Yeah deffinately Army. I got to fly in one once when I was in the Army

101_0193.jpg

101_0205.jpg

Actually whats really badass is watching ospreys land and takoff.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Great video thanks for sharing. On another note when we had the floods here 3 -4 years ago I was heading back home and all of a sudden they stopped traffic on the interstate. In swoops one of these only in camo. Seems one if the soldiers aiding in the cleanup effort had got hurt and they had to fly him to Charleston. Man when that chopper swooped in and landed and then took off, WOW. It was a sight to see. You could feel the power.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Those rotor blades looked like they were awfully close to contacting that pole with the stadium lights.

Last edited:

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
The ones you seen were UH-60s. Likely NG but could have been off the ship. They usually have HH60s available.
MH53s, you need 3 to get one on site, LOL! Glad to see the military helping!

you need 3 helicopters to get one on site?

It looks the the NG and Army and so on are sending in good help.. Good to see!

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
Army. You can clearly see the ACU bottoms. My vote is NG aviation unit that got called up to help.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
Sometimes they set those birds down randomly if the pilot thinks the engine may have compression issues. Happened a few times when I was in Korea, I was on a small camp with a small airfield. Bird would come in out of no where and sit down for a few minutes, hover, then take off.

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
National Guard likely, AF has the refueling probe, and most of Navy are gray.

Those rotor blades looked like they were awfully close to contacting that pole with the stadium lights.

The crew in back are clearing the aircraft from obstacles. I've called aircraft down that had no more than a couple feet from the blades, takes a lot coordination with the crew.

Anyway, there was supposed to be 9 Norfolk based helos coming up to help out. I think my squadrons aircraft are at the AF base. Good luck up there.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
That mofo hanging out the window is crazy.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
you'll be seeing V-22 Osprey's flying over New York from the USS Wasp that's sitting off the coast.

The assets the 26th MEU has embarked aboard the USS Wasp were picked specifically to give the unit many tools at its disposal for rendering assistance to the area. Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron (VMM) 266 Reinforced, assisted by aircraft from Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron (HMH) 366 and Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron (HMLA) 467, have the UH-1N Huey and the CH-53E Super Stallion heavy lift helicopters capable of moving large numbers of passengers, supplies, or equipment.

wht93gted

Established Member
Yeah I've seen 2 or 3 ospreys today. They're the ones that fly like planes but land like helicopters, right? If so I saw some. I saw a few of those huge cargo planes too today

svtaddict

Established Member
over here in cali they are flying a bunch of edison power company bucket trucks out there in i think c130s from march arb right by my house. it was on the news. Fema aint playing this time

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
over here in cali they are flying a bunch of edison power company bucket trucks out there in i think c130s from march arb right by my house. it was on the news. Fema aint playing this time

Look at the power company trucks from Alabama told to go home, because they were not union..

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member

Ain't playin? Have you watched the news? It seems like all they are doing is playing!

Users who are viewing this thread