San Antonio Residents come in

01svtL

Established Member
Moving to San Antonio soon. My wife will work at UTSA, I'm still searching for something. I would prefer to find a job that isn't located downtown, but it's likely, with my background, that I will be downtown. In regards to house-hunting, can those that live in SA tell us what parts of town to stay away from as far as morning/evening traffic goes? I know 1604 between i10 and 281 can get bad. I don't want to deal with an hour-hour and a half commute in and out of downtown every day. Schools are important. My wife is a PhD physicist, so of course wants our little girl in schools ranked a 10. Of course I want her in good schools too, but I'd be fine with her being in a school ranked a 9 if it puts us in a neighborhood that makes daily commutes easier, more house/property for our money, etc. After all, we are talking elementary school, and we'd like to buy land/build in 3-4 years, so we are only talking pre-k to 3rd or 4th grade here.
The wife is stuck on some new construction in Boerne. While I really like Boerne as well, I'm worried about the daily commute into/out of downtown. I just can't go back to 3hrs/day in the car like would often happen when I worked in Houston if just one idiot ran into another idiot - almost every day.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
the 1604 is a rough area right now because of all the construction around town. they expanded the 281 transit area but everyone is still complaining about the traffic. 35 has a lot going n as well so be aware of that. she working UTSA down town or main campus?

01svtL

Established Member
the 1604 is a rough area right now because of all the construction around town. they expanded the 281 transit area but everyone is still complaining about the traffic. 35 has a lot going n as well so be aware of that. she working UTSA down town or main campus?
She'll be at main campus. I have just found out that if I land something in an industry that matches my background, I mostly likely will NOT be downtown, which is great news. I'm being told that most of the oil/gas/utility companies are on the north side of town.

blwn306

Established Member
I live downtown and Traffic is next to nothing for me. I can get anywhere in about 10-15 mins. I can jump on 10/35/90/281 in Mins and be gone. Anywhere on the NW side of town (Sea World) to (Six flags) is bat shit crazy with stupid Traffic. I moved downtown to avoid that mess. As far as schools I would look into private school, the public school system has gone to shit. If not I know Northside is one of the best districts. I Personally wouldn't rate any of the San Antonio Schools close to a 9 or 10 they are all about a 5 at best. SAISD does have some early college and magnet schools that are performing at a higher rate but its inner city and your kid will be mixed with punks. Alamo Heights may a good spot to look into.

01svtL

Established Member
I live downtown and Traffic is next to nothing for me. I can get anywhere in about 10-15 mins. I can jump on 10/35/90/281 in Mins and be gone. Anywhere on the NW side of town (Sea World) to (Six flags) is bat shit crazy with stupid Traffic. I moved downtown to avoid that mess. As far as schools I would look into private school, the public school system has gone to shit. If not I know Northside is one of the best districts. I Personally wouldn't rate any of the San Antonio Schools close to a 9 or 10 they are all about a 5 at best. SAISD does have some early college and magnet schools that are performing at a higher rate but its inner city and your kid will be mixed with punks. Alamo Heights may a good spot to look into.

Yea the neighborhoods we are looking at in Boerne are zoned to schools that are ranked as a 10 - the elementary school is at least. Maybe that was Northside. I did see that the west side is ranked 6-7 for the elementary schools and worse for middle and high schools. What do you live in downtown? A townhome or something?

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I moved to VA last year and I can tell you that the school system compared to VB is a big difference. I didn't think it was until we went to parent teacher night and interacted with the school through out the year. there is a big diff with the systems.

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
Heading out IH10 to Boerne between 4-7 o'clock will be miserable, that said there are a lot of nice homes in the Fair Oaks/Boerne area. 1604 is slow during the normal rush hours for sure but there some good neighborhoods close to UTSA that would make your traffic time minimal. Personally I live right outside 1604 near Shavano Park and I love it. Easy access to anywhere I need to go with 1604/281/10, and all the shopping/food locations you could need. Roger's Ranch at 1604/Bitters is a nice neighborhood and would meet most of your School/traffic needs.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Heading out IH10 to Boerne between 4-7 o'clock will be miserable, that said there are a lot of nice homes in the Fair Oaks/Boerne area. 1604 is slow during the normal rush hours for sure but there some good neighborhoods close to UTSA that would make your traffic time minimal. Personally I live right outside 1604 near Shavano Park and I love it. Easy access to anywhere I need to go with 1604/281/10, and all the shopping/food locations you could need. Roger's Ranch at 1604/Bitters is a nice neighborhood and would meet most of your School/traffic needs.

i lived off 281 and bitters for a while, i loved the area. everyone runs and walks their dogs, family oriented. its fairly quiet too which was a plus and i agree getting all the hwys was easy to access from there.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I can't help. As live on the west side and have no kids, so I give zero effs about schools. But regardless...welcome to town. Summer is coming quick here, I don't think we had a winter at all.

Pickman

I've only lived in San Antonio for a year and the only thing I can say is to stay away from the area around lackland air force base.

RTR GHIG

Established Member
I live in the Leon Springs area, and traffic is bearable. I commute btwn 730-800am, and 5-630pm. Takes me about 25 minutes to get to near UTSA area, while the trip home takes me about about 30 minutes. I myself stick to the access rides for the most part. State just approved a highway widening project which should be done in 3.5yrs. It will be 4 lanes on both sides, along with an HOV lane on each side of I-10. It will go from La Cantera to Fair Oaks, I believe.

KevSher20

Established Member
She will have no problem coming into work from Boerne but depending on where your job is located you might.

Not many good schools down here as they value athletics over pretty much everything else.

That being said, Boerne ISD or Comal in north San Antonio with Smithson Valley is probably the way to go. Gifted and Talented Program, Advanced classes in high school. Comal ISD really pushes kids unlike most of San Antonio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
She will have no problem coming into work from Boerne but depending on where your job is located you might.

Not many good schools down here as they value athletics over pretty much everything else.

That being said, Boerne ISD or Comal in north San Antonio with Smithson Valley is probably the way to go. Gifted and Talented Program, Advanced classes in high school. Comal ISD really pushes kids unlike most of San Antonio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 i noticed that when we got here to Virginia. they don't do Gifted classes like when i was in HS where they still attend with everyone else. the program is an entire school with gifted kids if they pass the assessment. ours is taking it on the 23rd, i hope he gets in.

Users who are viewing this thread