Same whine, more horsepower...

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
I currently have a Stegmeier Stage 7 ported Eaton pullied for about 17 PSI. The car has been fun with this setup, but I'm ready for more power. The only problem is, I want to keep the same blower noise level that the ported Eaton gives me. The only thing comparable I've heard is a 2.2 KB, but that's not going to give me much of a gain over my current setup. Any thoughts on other options? I'd like to venture somewhere north of 600RWHP. I know I could add a shot of nitrous, but I don't want to mess with that and there's nowhere near me that refills bottles.

jtkz13

Established Member
I guess I dont get the love for the dentist drill whine the heatons make. Just go KB 2.8H or Whipple 2.9 and go make a ton of power. There's still whine, just not as much.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Either a Whipple or TVS 2.3 will likely be loud if spun hard, TVS more likely than Whipple. The strange thing is it's not consistent. 2.9's are almost always quiet. I'm only on 17lbs and my Whipple is loud, not the same pitch as an eaton though. Listen to some of bdubbs videos, his TVS sings and to me sounds more like an Eaton, which I guess make sense because they use a similar design.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
A 2.2 KB is probably one of the worst choices you could make...highly inefficient, unreliable, and heat producing. Just keep the heaton.

My 2.3 gen 2 whipple screams at 22psi, makes awesome tq, 700+ hp. I would never take it off for any reason other than maintenance. And I've never had any reason to maintenance anything under the blower in six years of me owning it...and 2 years before that. It's been in place for 8 years. Plug swaps are a breeze.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
What about injector swaps? and valve cover removal? Lol

Nothing wrong with a whipple its just if you have the choice get the tvs.

Why do you keep having to swap injectors? What is causing your injector issue? You might need to address that, get it figured out, then hopefully it's case closed and you can leave those poor things alone lol

cj428mach

Established Member
Why do you keep having to swap injectors? What is causing your injector issue? You might need to address that, get it figured out, then hopefully it's case closed and you can leave those poor things alone lol

I haven't had to change injectors since I went id1000s.

When I had a whipple I had 60lb injectors, it was frustrating that I had to pull my blower to do an bigger rails/injectors for e85.

I powder coated my valve covers...that was easier to do with the removable inlet.

When my passenger side bank of the motor was burning oil it sure was nice to pull the valve cover off in a matter of minutes. It made finding out that the viton valve seals that were used dont fit tight enough to seal out oil.

When you can buy a tvs for less money, make equal or more power than a whipple and the car will be easier to work on why not?

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I haven't had to change injectors since I went id1000s.

When I had a whipple I had 60lb injectors, it was frustrating that I had to pull my blower to do an bigger rails/injectors for e85.

I powder coated my valve covers...that was easier to do with the removable inlet.

When my passenger side bank of the motor was burning oil it sure was nice to pull the valve cover off in a matter of minutes. It made finding out that the viton valve seals that were used dont fit tight enough to seal out oil.

When you can buy a tvs for less money, make equal or more power than a whipple and the car will be easier to work on why not?

That's just poor foresight on your injector choice and bad luck on that head. That's really incredibly bad luck on that head for such little mileage. No injector swap has ever been necessary on my car nor a valve cover removal. The only reason I might take the blower one day would be to clean the intercooler...I'm guessing that removable tvs inlet isn't going to accomplish that, either. The blower is coming off.

Why would one still consider a whipple? Well, to some people, looks still matter and I prefer the look of the 2.3 whipple, especially with the polished snout. The tvs is a great blower, proven tech, but not as cosmetically appealing to some. Your view might differ, and I bet it does lol

blue93bolt

Established Member
That's just poor foresight on your injector choice and bad luck on that head. That's really incredibly bad luck on that head for such little mileage. No injector swap has ever been necessary on my car nor a valve cover removal. The only reason I might take the blower one day would be to clean the intercooler...I'm guessing that removable tvs inlet isn't going to accomplish that, either. The blower is coming off.

Why would one still consider a whipple? Well, to some people, looks still matter and I prefer the look of the 2.3 whipple, especially with the polished snout. The tvs is a great blower, proven tech, but not as cosmetically appealing to some. Your view might differ, and I bet it does lol

I agree, I bought a whipple because it looks much better than a tvs in my opinion

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Either a Whipple or TVS 2.3 will likely be loud if spun hard, TVS more likely than Whipple. The strange thing is it's not consistent. 2.9's are almost always quiet. I'm only on 17lbs and my Whipple is loud, not the same pitch as an eaton though. Listen to some of bdubbs videos, his TVS sings and to me sounds more like an Eaton, which I guess make sense because they use a similar design.

I need to make another video, the one in my sig is with the 2.8 pulley. The 2.6 that's on there now is louder. :)

Mbiro594

Established Member
As much as I love the sound of the KB 2.2, the more I read about the issues I'm steering clear.. apparently KB doesn't even repair that model anymore

Did you plan on selling your Steg ported blower? Can you message me first if you do?
:thumbsup:

wckdvnm

Established Member
As much as I love the sound of the KB 2.2, the more I read about the issues I'm steering clear.. apparently KB doesn't even repair that model anymore

Did you plan on selling your Steg ported blower? Can you message me first if you do?
:thumbsup:

They still rebuild them but it's about $1,500 from someone who had one rebuilt on the Facebook page.

cj428mach

Established Member

No the snout on a TVS is slightly less appealing than a Whipple so I choose to cover it up with a belt guard. I'd much rather deal with that than give up the removable inlet, GT500 TB, louder whine or better pulley options.

I guess you can call it poor foresight on my part for injector choice, but its ridiculous to think that nothing will ever go wrong and parts won't need to be serviced.

Users who are viewing this thread