Same Coil pack keep BLOWING UP.

ez112

Established Member
Ok there is a list of possible finger pointing as to what COULD be the issue here, but I can't figure it out as to WHY that coil is the one the one that blows up. When it in FACT DOES blow up, the 30 amp in cab fuse that controls the ignition pops.

#1 For the LONGEST TIME I have had been hogging juice from the ignition fuse via a fuse splitter thing you get from autozone to run my wideband. It has NEVER been an issue. EVER. And when I get the issue, only the fuse that runs the system blows. Not the widebands.

#2 The Engine has been TOTALLY overhauled, and has been doing great for 700 miles. BUT I do have a handful of mods and an appropriate tune FOR THOSE MODS, but then came the overhaul I got a Stiegemeier stage IV and an 01+ intercooler setup. BUT HAVE NOT gotten a tune since. But why would it run fine for a while, and just all of a sudden start blowing COP's?

I have replaced the plugs because they DID have OEM platinums when the dude overhauled the engine, but I put back my NGK's. It ran good for a week with some awesome WOT runs, then eventually the fuse blew again.

I'm finding it safer to just leave the COP disconnected and the truck won't blow the fuse, but then of course I'm running on 7 cylinders.

I'm TOTALLY lost and need ANY input. #8 cylinder is the bastard.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
During the overhaul something on the engine harness was damaged and it's grounding out somewhere causing the fuse to blow. My best guess would be the area on the passenger side where the harness goes behind the cylinder head, hardest to get to or see of course but that's the way things go for me.

rich017

Established Member
I am having the SAME problem! Started this week but on cylinder 1.

Will be driving and the trucks start to misfire and then shuts off. F2.30 (30amp) is blown and then once replaced, cyl is completely dead and them I am stranded on the side of the road. 2 COP's on the same cylinder blown in 4 days. Oh... my truck is stock too. 03 with 23K.

That fuse is apart of the ignition, fuel pump, anti-theft and PCM power diode. My next check will be that diode.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Take a look at the blade fuse. If there is a hard burn mark in the fuse it blew due to a hard ground short. If the there is no burn mark but it is open it blew to excessive amperage. It's a start.

rich017

Established Member
Take a look at the blade fuse. If there is a hard burn mark in the fuse it blew due to a hard ground short. If the there is no burn mark but it is open it blew to excessive amperage. It's a start.

I looked for shorts and did not find a thing. Unplugged the PCM and pinned out the harness from the PCM to the COP connector. Checked for opens, high resistance and shorts. Did not find a thing. Same thing with the circuit f2.30 runs off of. Did not find a thing. It took 4 days for the cop and fuse to blow after I fixed it the first time.

The truck will start to misfire, then 5 seconds the fuse blows and I am stuck on the side of the road. I however can put in a new fuse and drive on the misfire and the new fuse will not blow. It only blows while the COP is going out and not after it is out.

ez112

Established Member
You're explaining everything to a T, rich.

My problem would start right when I'm at WOT I feel it being under powered, and then the truck is off due to the fuse being blown.

rich017

Established Member
You're explaining everything to a T, rich.

My problem would start right when I'm at WOT I feel it being under powered, and then the truck is off due to the fuse being blown.

Both times I was cruising and then suddenly the truck would shake like crazy from the cop going out, until the fuse blows and the trucks shuts off. Would have to limp home on the misfire but the new fuse will not blow which is weird. I don't understand how the fuse will blow only "while" the COP is going out.

I threw in a new plug this time too. Also, the previous owner had an aftermarket alarm tied into that COP connector. The green/white one that is ground to the PCM. I cut that just in case it was doing something weird. But I have had the truck for over a month and put 2K on it and JUST now started having this problem.

ez112

Established Member
Is there any input or any insight to what or why this happens? I'm desperately trying to sell my truck, and cannot do so now with this on going problem.

Users who are viewing this thread