Salvage Titles - Classic Cars from Hurricane Sandy

verbal

Established Member
Has anyone ever purchased a flood damaged vehicle before that has a salvage title? I am going through a salvage company's website and there are a ton of classic cars on there. Can these cars be saved with a complete restoration or will salt water damage be impossible to fix? I would imagine rust would start forming in every inner panel (cowl, rocker panels, etc.) of the car. Also would a car with a salvage title be almost worthless after being restored?

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
I was always taught two things: salt water is one of the worst things for metal, never buy a classic car from up north (where it snows)

RSbeast

Established Member
I don't think you can really 'total' a classic. People will rebuild from anything. Frames with no titles even. I would suspect a fair amount of restored cars have eBay titles or salvage/rebuilt. I'd buy one if I had the time to tear it all down and wash it out etc.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Depends on what you're looking at. If you're looking at stuff like camaros, popular mopars etc, then look elsehwere.

However if there's some gems in there that are harder to find and possibly more collectible, it might worth a go.

Many cars you can bring back from absolute nothing if you have the time and money. Whether it's financially reasonable to do so though depends on the car.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
I remember an eBay auction where a giant tree had grown up through a K-code 65/66 mustang. The car was trashed and you couldn't cut down the tree. But it sold for quite a bit. I'm sure those vins are on some old six cylinder car now.

All depends on the rarity of the car. Depending on how bad the car was flooded as well. Lots of places you can't see that could be rusting away. I'd think a media blast for the entire car would be in order.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
depends on what you're looking at. If you're looking at stuff like camaros, popular mopars etc, then look elsehwere.

However if there's some gems in there that are harder to find and possibly more collectible, it might worth a go.

Many cars you can bring back from absolute nothing if you have the time and money. Whether it's financially reasonable to do so though depends on the car.

+1

Or for a track car.

wht93gted

Established Member
Well, living in the epicenter where Sandy hit, I can say I'm truly astonished at just how fast things are rusting out.

Just random weird things. In my in-laws house, we didnt replace the phone jacks, turns out the cooper wires have completely corroded and the metal screws (to secure the wires in the jacks) are extremely rusted already.

Things in their shed are completely corroded, all on the surface, but it's really amazing.

I'd say the window is closing, and closing fast, on sandy damaged vehicles.

verbal

Established Member
Depends on what you're looking at. If you're looking at stuff like camaros, popular mopars etc, then look elsehwere.

There is a 67' Fastback and a couple of nice 55' Thunderbirds. It amazes me what rotted out Fastbacks go for on ebay. I would not be surprised if most of the classics being sold on ebay without a title had been through something like this.

Trying to steal the OP's loot?

Lol

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
There is a 67' Fastback and a couple of nice 55' Thunderbirds. It amazes me what rotted out Fastbacks go for on ebay. I would not be surprised if most of the classics being sold on ebay without a title had been through something like this.

Lol

The '67 Fastback might be a winner depending on how much it would take to bring it back.

The T-Birds currently aren't bringing the dollars they used to. As an example, Amos Minter is regarded as the foremost expert and restorer of classic thunderbirds. Several years ago, if you had one restored by him you could easily make a decent profit. Now these cars aren't bringing near the money and I'm guessing the restoration costs are now outpacing the vehicle's market value.

I know we all think about cars in a general sense here, but when talking about doing anything with a potentially collectible car, you should make sure you're not going to lose your ass doing it. You'll want to at least be able to brake even.

Unless you're just looking for a cool car to get back to driver condition.

The Fastback will be easier and less costly to restore though. It's a better candidate to hold value of modification as well. People will pay for good restomods on tri-five chevies, F-bodies, Mustangs etc. Not so much on thunderbirds.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
how did they get salt water damaged?

picard-facepalm.jpg

The title of the thread should clue you in...

TTlambo

Established Member
I used to buy rebuiders back when there was money in them (20 years ago), but not worth it now, unless it is a classic that you are going to rip apart and start over from scratch and still make $$.
Salvage cars are typically worth 30% less or more and that's a fact! This is the value that banks will deduct if borrowing and some will not even lend for them and doesn't matter if you can pay cash or not, but it matters if you try to sell later as most people don't have the cash and will need to borrow.
Anyway, back to the flood cars as far as work goes. Yes, they look great at first and you will have of course the rust issues which can be addressed and are not fun, but most importantly and this is going to happen is the wiring issues and they are a mother F'er! You will have wiring shorts that you will be chasing for the life of the car and you will go nuts, not to mention the smell! Been there done that and will not again.
If you are going to buy salvage buy a light wreck and what you see is what you get! (for the most part) Good Luck!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread