Saleen to....

cobra777

Autographx
Established Member
So, I'm starting to get the new car itch and wanted to get some opinions from the guys. I've got a budget of $30k, and am thinking about a few cars.

1. 2000 Viper GTS
2. C6 Zo6
3. Porsche 996

I do have another option. I currently own a 2001 Saleen S-281 SC. I also have thoughts of putting some money into the Saleen and making it REALLY fun. So what would you do in my situation? :pop:

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
IMO, Viper.

C6Z could be confused as just another vette.

Don't know much about the Porsche, don't really care for them myself.

1hot281

Established Member
Out of those three, I'd go 996 Porsche 911. Carrera C2 with some mods, or a Turbo or GT3 if you can find one in your budget.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Good luck finding a Viper GTS for around 30k that isn't beat to shit. c6z is also out of your price range.

KurtDog

Established Member
Taking into account your budget, modify the Saleen.

The Viper and Porsche will be stupid expensive to maintain with the c6 close behind.

And judging from the small pic in your profile, your Saleen looks badass. But if you really need a change of pace, go with the c6.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
Taking into account your budget, modify the Saleen.

The Viper and Porsche will be stupid expensive to maintain with the c6 close behind.

And judging from the small pic in your profile, your Saleen looks badass. But if you really need a change of pace, go with the c6.

Vipers are not stupid expensive to maintain. Its more than a mustang sure, but marginal at most. The engines hold more oil (my 06 is 10 quarts) so all i do is get 2 of the 5 quart jugs at any auto store. They use the T56 trans and the engines are probably overbuilt. Since they're OHV and only reving to 6K RPM they hold well. Suspension parts can be a bit more $$ but they are well built. There are quite a few hi mileage cars out there going strong

If you want to start modifying the viper then yes it can become stupid expensive quickly, but thats different than maintaining it. Also they are expensive to fix if it crashed. They are a completely different animal than a mustang in terms of driving.

Also my insurance dropped almost 350$/yr when I switched from my 11 GT500 to my 06 viper

Last edited:

KurtDog

Established Member
Vipers are not stupid expensive to maintain. Its more than a mustang sure, but marginal at most. The engines hold more oil (my 06 is 10 quarts) so all i do is get 2 of the 5 quart jugs at any auto store. They use the T56 trans and the engines are probably overbuilt. Since they're OHV and only reving to 6K RPM they hold well. Suspension parts can be a bit more $$ but they are well built. There are quite a few hi mileage cars out there going strong

If you want to start modifying the viper then yes it can become stupid expensive quickly, but thats different than maintaining it. Also they are expensive to fix if it crashed. They are a completely different animal than a mustang in terms of driving.

Also my insurance dropped almost 350$/yr when I switched from my 11 GT500 to my 06 viper

It was kind of a generalization, but I find it really hard to believe that the average price of a part on that car being anywhere as cheap or comparable to the same part on any mass produced car like a mustang. And lets face it, maintenance on a 14 year old car is not simply limited to oil changes.

I had a Mazda rx7 right when Mazda discontinued support for them in the us. When the mass air flow sensor went out the oem replacement was 800 bucks for the part alone. I would think this effect is the same on older vipers. Any part that needs to be replaced would be several times more expensive on a viper then a mustang. I cant imagine any of the wear items being cheap off the shelf items. From brake rotors and pads to tires and bushings they will all be more expensive. Not to mention any catastrophic issues you might run into.

The cost of general maintenance on both these cars might be pretty low for the most part, but I would think the viper is at somewhere near 2 times more expensive to maintain than a mustang. Yes they might both be relatively cheap to maintain overall, but if you only have 30k to spend on a car that added maintenance might be a big factor in your choice.

As far as insurance, I would guess the Viper would be a good bit more than his mustang.

There is no question on which car would is more fun to drive, but you have to pay to play.

itSSlow98

Established Member
If by $30k you mean up to $39k then yes those are your options. Dollar for dollar the c6z takes the cake in performance hands down.

Mustangguy18

Established Member
Buy a 993... Not sure about price but I think Carreras are there. And prob in a few years you could get your money out of it, without much of a loss. Provided nothing catastrophic happens

truefiveo

Established Member
C6Z could be confused as just another vette.

OMGz but...but..but people won't recognize I'm driving a Z06 until they pull up closer to it and see the badges and hood.:(

Screw that!!! That's a horrible car purchase decision, because even though it has a demonic fire breathing modern day fuel injected 500+ HP 427 engine under the hood that still gets 25+MPG, people driving smart cars and family sedans looking at the car may mistake it for just a regular C6.:(

Totally horrible vehicle choice, ewww wtf were we thinking???:shrug:

Last edited:

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
If money is no object mod the saleen, but your gonna hurt resale value. If it were me I would probably go with a c6z.... although I think your budgets a little low.

Users who are viewing this thread