Saleen Supercharger...tuning?

spidartanks

Established Member
I got home my Saleen Supercharger Tonight,
it comes with an 8psi pully, intercooler, new computer..hopefully everything i'd need.
i need to get a fuel press gauge and booste gauge..that should be about all.

i'm super excited to get this installed, hopefully over the march break.

the computer description says 3.73 gears..my car stil has the stockers. do you think this is going to off set anything.
i plan on gettingsome 410's as well this year.
Will it be a smart idea to get the computer re-programmed and dyno tuned for the new gears, new size tires etc...
Or will using the Saleen PCM give me what i am looking for. more HP and torque the better, but i dont want to push breaking anything.

What kind of numbers should i expect to see on the dyno. my car has Full Exhaust. Slp loudmouth catback with Bassini catted X pipe, 75MM BBK Throttle body, cold air intake, and now saleen supercharger

2002 GT Convertible Mustang

-What quater mile times and HP numbers stock does my car run/have and what should i expect to see?

pictures of my new toy :bu :bu

DSC04650.gif

DSC04651.gif

DSC04657.gif

DSC04656.gif

spidartanks

Established Member
Definantly i'll be taking pictures of install etc..

any ideas of HP i should be expecting to see....what would it take to see 400 WHP

MattP 343

Established Member
i thought these blowers were usually good for about 320-340 rwhp...i would say a good combo. of heads/cams plus full exhaust system, tune and some other bolt ons would probably get you very close

torchred2000gt

Established Member
The new S281E makes 550hp with 3.5psi. Different cams than stock obviously. Yours looks like an older model though, the newest ones are extremely efficient, that's why they only need 3.5psi. :D
Rob

MattP 343

Established Member
torchred2000gt said:
The new S281E makes 550hp with 3.5psi. Different cams than stock obviously. Yours looks like an older model though, the newest ones are extremely efficient, that's why they only need 3.5psi. :D
Rob
im pretty sure those numbers were extremely blown outta proportion...i heard a while back some magazine was testing the new 05 saleens and they were running good but then they realized they had a smaller pully then stock was already installed. :dw:
Anyone have the whole story on that?

Regardless that is a Series II (but dont quote me on that) m90 blower which dont have as much power output as the Series IV (whipple) or the new blower for the 05s

Last edited:

torchred2000gt

Established Member
MattP 343 said:
im pretty sure those numbers were extremely blown outta proportion...i heard a while back some magazine was testing the new 05 saleens and they were running good but then they realized they had a smaller pully then stock was already installed. :dw:
Anyone have the whole story on that?

Regardless that is a Series II (but dont quote me on that) m90 blower which dont have as much power output as the Series IV (whipple) or the new blower for the 05s
Nope, they make over 500 rwhp with 3.5psi. I saw it. :p
Rob

MattP 343

Established Member
spidartanks said:
-What quater mile times and HP numbers stock does my car run/have and what should i expect to see?

stock you would be around 14 depending on your driving skills...and with the blower installed/tuned etc. you should be able to dip into the 12s without TOO much of a problem

torchred2000gt

Established Member
MattP 343 said:
ok well even if you did thats a s281E which is A LOT different than what he is planning on running
Only thing different on the engine is head and cam. The internals are forged but that has nothing to do with power addition.
Rob

MattP 343

Established Member
heads and cam makes a big difference especially when you are running them in the presence of a supercharger...a different supercharger, I might add, then 'spidartanks' has.

Also post the site that you saw 500rwhp with 3.5psi from a Saleen s281e because right now im not buying it

torchred2000gt

Established Member
MattP 343 said:
heads and cam makes a big difference especially when you are running them in the presence of a supercharger...a different supercharger, I might add, then 'spidartanks' has.

Also post the site that you saw 500rwhp with 3.5psi from a Saleen s281e because right now im not buying it
Yes of course heads/cams makes a great difference especially on a vehicle with forced induction. And I can't give you a link because I didn't see it on the net. My best friend is an engineer that works at Saleen, last year he worked on the TT S7 and this year he is on the S281E. Sorry.
Rob

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
No supercharger is efficient enough to make 500+ hp on only 3.5 psi. Saleen is using 6-7 psi out of a 2300 cfm twinscrew type blower which blows upward into the intake runners and down into the heads, thus achieving 400 hp... not 500.
Saleen has been using supercharging since the mid 1980's and introduced a supercharged version of the S281 in 1999. Once word got around about its performance capabilities, the S281 SC quickly displaced its normally aspirated S281 counterpart as Top Gun on the Saleen sales charts.

The supercharger is an all-new innovative design, so new and so innovative that Saleen has several patents pending on the design.

Saleen started with unconventional wisdom. That meant tossing all current supercharger design theory out the window. When they had finished with their out-of-the-box thinking, Saleen's engine wizards created a design unique in the annals of supercharging; a supercharger that "blows" all others away. A blower charming in its design simplicity and elegant in its compactness, light weight and high efficiency. It's called the Saleen Series VI integrated TwinScrew supercharger with two-stage water-to-air intercooling system.

Essentially, the Saleen design integrates the previously separate intake manifold, blower housing/assembly and intercooler into one compact unit that nestles neatly into the valley between the heads. This allows for a much wider intake manifold.

The blower assembly contains twin screws, which push 2300 cc of air per rotation versus 1600 cc for last year's supercharger. As a result, the supercharger turns slower for equivalent boost, producing lower stress and lower air charger temperatures. The higher supercharger efficiency, along with the lower air charge temperatures allows for an intercooler that is smaller, lighter and more compact and which has virtually zero pressure drop from inlet-to-outlet side.

Where does the "two-stage intercooling" description come from? A second cooler located in the airdam below the engine radiator assists the intercooler integrated into the supercharger assembly.

The shape of the snorkel opening for the intake air tube is designed for maximum flow. To maintain a constant volume of air as the air flows toward the rear of the engine, the housing widens and flattens-out of the engine. Some other significant design features of the Saleen supercharger:

It features an integrated bypass for low-speed running; when you are driving at low speeds and don't require boost, the bypass helps reduce heat buildup in the engine. The Saleen design provides for optimal runner length, resulting in more torque and better low-end drivability.
All bends are opened up to provide smooth airflow.
It features long, beefy downdraft runners with minimal bends for maximizing torque and horsepower. On the previous design, the air had to make two 180-degree bends. The new design provides a straight, direct shot into the cylinders and about 50 percent increase in flow compared to last year's supercharger.
The new design is much more maintenance-friendly. It has only one sealing surface; the previous supercharger had four. In addition, you only have to remove the eight screws that bolt the air tube to the plenum for access to all of the blower components. Previously, you had to remove the supercharger assembly from the engine and then disassemble it.
The overall efficiency gains - in the engine, the supercharger and the intercooler - mean the new supercharged V8 produces more horsepower and torque at a less stressful 6-7 psi boost than last year's supercharged engine at 7-8 psi.

The S281 SC also benefits from a specific Saleen PowerFlash performance computer along with a Saleen free-flowing air filter.

The S281 SC cranks out a neck-snapping 400 horsepower, 25 more than last year's S281 SC, and an eye-popping 420 lb-ft torque, 5 more lb-ft than in 2004. The 400 bhp figure matches that of the 2005 C6 Corvette. Transmission

The S281 SC Mustang is equipped with an improved version of the current 5-speed manual gearbox. The ratios are the same as last year but the gear change mechanism has been revised for smoother shifting. In addition, the S281 SC receives a higher final-drive ration 3.55:1 versus 3.27:1 from last year - for more aggressive acceleration. An electronically-controlled 5-speed automatic transmission is available. It is matched to a 3.31:1 final-drive ratio.

Last edited:

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
So why would they change pulleys on an Extreme, allowing it to make only 3.5 psi... when its sister SC281 makes 100 less hp @ 6-7 psi? Makes absolutly no sense to me. I understand that the E car has different internals and so on... but we all know that a set of cams nor a porting the heads on a mod motor isnt worth 100+ hp.

MattP 343

Established Member
05-06 Saleen 3V Supercharger Kit
Part Number: 10-1607-B11313
Supercharge your 2005, 4.6, 3V Mustang GT to over 400 hp and 420 lb of torque. It has a unique inverse design and open bends coupled with twin screw blower assembly, pushes air directly into the combustion chamber. It is compact, lightweight and highly efficient, the blower housing, assembly and intercooler in one compact unit nestles neatly in the valley between the heads. Maximum air flow with less than 5 lbs of boost - less engine stress and heat. The Saleen-SC kit includes benefits from a specific Saleen PowerFlash performance computer.

....hmmmm :read:

Last edited:

Tony322

Established Member
05-06 Saleen 3V Supercharger Kit
Part Number: 10-1607-B11313
Supercharge your 2005, 4.6, 3V Mustang GT to over 400 hp and 420 lb of torque. It has a unique inverse design and open bends coupled with twin screw blower assembly, pushes air directly into the combustion chamber. It is compact, lightweight and highly efficient, the blower housing, assembly and intercooler in one compact unit nestles neatly in the valley between the heads. Maximum air flow with less than 5 lbs of boost - less engine stress and heat.The Saleen-SC kit includes benefits from a specific Saleen PowerFlash performance computer.

I think hes talking about the blower itself on the 3v

Last edited:

torchred2000gt

Established Member
MattP 343 said:
exactly so even with heads/cam combo and different internals you are not going to see over 130rwhp increase to make your alledged 500rwhp.
They advertise at 550 flywheel hp, I guess they're just lying theirs asses off huh. :lol: A car manufacturer isn't going to advertise more than what their car can actually do, Ford made that mistake once with the Cobra; quite the recall. So yes, they do see ~500rwhp with 3.5 psi. Don't be upset. :)
Rob

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
Im not upset about it. LOL My car will stomp it reguardless. Nothing like a 550 hp car with 14" brakes, 20" rims and the heaviest suspension in the world to make it even slower!

Anyhoo... im not trying to turn this into a pissing contest. I do have one other question though. Are you familiar with Saleens quality? I am. I currently have a 2002 SC281 sitting in my driveway, right behind the Cobra. I have been through that car inside and out. Have you taken the dash gauge pod off? Well do it if not and you will see what I mean. Saleen TEARS into the dash to make it work. Have you never noticed their paint jobs? Take a closer look! They spider web worse than any paint job on the market. I have also replaced the blower and engine in this very car... so I do have room to speak. I will never buy a Saleen EVER in my life.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread