Sake!

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
For the more refined gentlemen of SVTP, who here enjoys sake? Myself I prefer nigori sake as its sweet and tasty when cold. Im still trying new brands and types so if anyone has any suggestions let me know.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I normally get the heated stuff when eating sushi. I have no idea the brands or differences. All I know is it is awesome most of the time. I wish I could be more help. I get one flask of that as an aperitif but get one or two Sapporo beers to wash down the fishes.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
I have the heated stuff and I honestly didn't like it much. I prefer the colder saki. Doesn't really matter the type.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
I normally get the heated stuff when eating sushi. I have no idea the brands or differences. All I know is it is awesome most of the time. I wish I could be more help. I get one flask of that as an aperitif but get one or two Sapporo beers to wash down the fishes.

Yeah I do the same when I go eating sushi sometimes. Its pretty decent. I also like Kiri Ichiban for beer.

Warm Sake is the only way to consume it. Cooled down it tastes somewhat nasty IMHO.

U.M.

Actually hot sake is usually served when it is of lower quality. It helps to hide the unwanted flavors. That and some people just prefer it to be hot.

I make a marinade with sake in it that's pretty amazing on kabobs... Never really drank it

Yeah I have heard of cooking with sake. Have not done it yet though.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Actually hot sake is usually served when it is of lower quality. It helps to hide the unwanted flavors. That and some people just prefer it to be hot.

BINGO! when its a lower quality, which is found here in the US you will always want to heat it. Cold sake is really only for the high quality non refined version.

im a big fan but dont really know the names of them. ill have to look when i get home, but i do know the bottle is a baby blue color and its fantastic when served warm.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Well then I must have been frequenting the "lower class" establishments selling the cheap stuff the whole 7 years I was in Japan because I never, ever, was serverd cold Sake in any of the local establishments we ate/drank at.

U.M.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
BINGO! when its a lower quality, which is found here in the US you will always want to heat it. Cold sake is really only for the high quality non refined version.

im a big fan but dont really know the names of them. ill have to look when i get home, but i do know the bottle is a baby blue color and its fantastic when served warm.

From what I understand cold sake is usually reserved for the high quality refined versions. Although the other part of the is nigori which is very losely filtered and also served cold.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
Well then I must have been frequenting the "lower class" establishments selling the cheap stuff the whole 7 years I was in Japan because I never, ever, was serverd cold Sake in any of the local establishments we ate/drank at.

U.M.

Just telling you what ive read and done research on. Doesnt mean I was right if the information I was reading was wrong. Interesting though none the less.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Just telling you what ive read and done research on. Doesnt mean I was right if the information I was reading was wrong. Interesting though none the less.
I think since it was always traditionally served warm back in the day many establishments continue to practice this way of serving it to this day.

U.M.

Last edited:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Yeah I do the same when I go eating sushi sometimes. Its pretty decent. I also like Kiri Ichiban for beer.

Kiri is nice too! Dragon Face for the win! I like the Sapporo cans, you can kill a man with them.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
I think since it was always traditionally served warm back in the day many establishments continue to practice this way of serving it to this day.

U.M.

Ok cool. Yeah when I first heard of sake I had always heard it was served warm as well. Just recently decided to do more research. A few different sources cited different kinds being drank warm and some cold. However there was a few comments about it being personal preference as well. Personally I like nigori sake cold. It seems to bring out the sweetness and taste more then being hot. I tried ***i (brand name) sake cold and warm and its deffinately better warm.

I always hate misinformation and seems to be prevelant especially when it comes to trendy cultures like japanese culture.

I want to visit Japan one day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread