SAFETY ISSSUE: Check your STRANGE shocks NOW!

hmwave

Established Member
SAFETY ISSUE: Check your STRANGE shocks NOW!

Check your S6004LM's NOW for shell failure.
Both my shocks failed today at the lower mounting shell.

A few weeks back I fitted a set of Strange S6004LM Strange shocks using Doug's bushing adapter kit.
See thread http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144341

I set them to 5 and they seemed fine. I've driven nearly 1000miles since, town driving and a 600mile highway run.

My Dealer tech replaced the driveshaft and diff last week before the 600mile run. In the last few days I've heard what sounded like a shock loose at the top bolt and the car has felt different, kinda like driving a rolling boat. I assumed my tech hadn't tightened the shock top nut down enough so planned to check the car in Wed this week for him to take a look.

Today I was driving into work and the knocking sound suddenly became louder. I pulled off the road to check and when I came to a stop the rear of the car was bouncing up and down.

I couldn't believe what I saw whan I looked under the rear.
BOTH shocks have failed at the lower eye that attaches the bushing shell to the shock body.
Thus my IRS is suspended on springs alone.

WTF is going on here.
Strange's Web site states "does not fit Cobra w/ independent rear".
I assumed that was because of fitment but now I'm wondering if these shocks are being overpowered by the Cobra IRS and fatiguing the metal.

This is a dangerous situation so I'd strongly suggest anyone who did this mod keep a close eye on your shocks.

So what do I do now?
I have a $50 bushing set that's rammed home in the shells that I'd have to cut open to use the bushings again.
I have a $150 set of useless shocks that I assume are no longer in warranty because I fitted new bushings to them.

Man, I am pissed with this situation.

Tonight I'll have to change my plans and spend the time refitting the Bilsteins I had in there before.

Last edited:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
that sucks! weird that both went at once...

where did you buy the shocks from?

Last edited:

hmwave

Established Member
dougwg said:
this is weird...
Anything I can do, just call

Thanks Doug.

I don't know if I just have a bad set of shocks or not. I'm assuming one shock failed a few days ago, and the additional load on the other caused it to fail.
I was a little concerned when I first saw these shocks as the welds looked tiny!
As you know, I fitted the bushings out of the car using a nut/bolt and a few washers to press them home. They were a tight fit!
Any chance me pushing them home in that way malformed the shells and stressed the welds to near breaking point?

Would it be safe to weld the shells back on to the shock body or will that damage the shocks seals or internal content in any way?

Last edited:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
If you look at my post 41 in the thread you listed. I was trying to warn that if this design does not allow the shock to articulate it will cause a binding situation which will lead to failure. I was expecting the failure on the tower, but it appears in this case the eye went out first. I stopped discussing it as post 42 Doug told me to stop.

SOLISIMO

Signal 12
Established Member
toofast4u said:
If you look at my post 41 in the thread you listed. I was trying to warn that if this design does not allow the shock to articulate it will cause a binding situation which will lead to failure. I was expecting the failure on the tower, but it appears in this case the eye went out first. I stopped discussing it as post 42 Doug told me to stop.
:read: ;-)

dougwg

Established Member
toofast4u,

where... I'm at a loss. :shrug: Link me!

hmwave.

how bout sending me the shocks and let me see if I can see whats up.

dougwg

Established Member
toofast4u,

found it. I ment the discussion about the coil over stuff

Last edited:

hmwave

Established Member
hmwave said:
I don't know if I just have a bad set of shocks or not. I'm assuming one shock failed a few days ago, and the additional load on the other caused it to fail.
On second thoughts with IRS would the second shock suffer any increased load if the first had already failed?

hmwave said:
Would it be safe to weld the shells back on to the shock body or will that damage the shocks seals or internal content in any way?

I tried a few local shops but they wouldn't touch the job. They were all concerned about welding the under-pressure shock and either damaging the seals or it exploding.

Last edited:

hmwave

Established Member
dougwg said:
toofast4u,

where... I'm at a loss. :shrug: Link me!

hmwave.

how bout sending me the shocks and let me see if I can see whats up.

Yes, I was thinking about that when 'bouncing' home tonight ;-)
Rather demeaning to be driving an '03 Cobra and come to a stop in traffic and the rear end is bouncing up and down like a boat!
I can tell you that an '03 with no rear shocks is a completely different beast to drive!

I'll take photo's in a few hours and post them here.
Just about to start pulling them out and replacing with my 00R's.

Doug: I'll package them up tomorrow and send them to you for analysis.
Best we work this out soon and understand the reasons for the failure.

I can tell you that the car has been a pleasure to drive when the Strange shocks were OK, great handling and comfortable.

BTW, I have another thread on this at modular.
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?p=236206#post236206

dougwg

Established Member
hmwave said:
Yes, I was thinking about that when 'bouncing' home tonight ;-)
Rather demeaning to be driving an '03 Cobra and come to a stop in traffic and the rear end is bouncing up and down like a boat!
I can tell you that an '03 with no rear shocks is a completely different beast to drive!

Sorry

I'll take photo's in a few hours and post them here.
Just about to start pulling them out and replacing with my 00R's.

I think we all know what they look like without pic's

Doug: I'll package them up tomorrow and send them to you for analysis.
Best we work this out soon and understand the reasons for the failure.

Agreed

I can tell you that the car has been a pleasure to drive when the Strange shocks were OK, great handling and comfortable.

BTW, I have another thread on this at modular.
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?p=236206#post236206

we'll see how that plays out

This really sucks

hmwave

Established Member
I tried a few local shops but they wouldn't touch the job. They were all concerned about welding the under-pressure shock and either damaging the seals or it exploding.

Is that a valid concern?
Seems to me like it would be.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
i find it amazing that people will use a bolt that ford thought just barely big enough to afix the damper, to absorb all the spring loads and hold up the entire car, and its in single shear. never mind the shock body...

but hey thats just me im weird like that i guess

hmwave

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
i find it amazing that people will use a bolt that ford thought just barely big enough to afix the damper, to absorb all the spring loads and hold up the entire car, and its in single shear.

I'm using stock IRS springs so how is this bolt holding up the entire car?

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
i find it amazing that people will use a bolt that ford thought just barely big enough to afix the damper, to absorb all the spring loads and hold up the entire car, and its in single shear. never mind the shock body...

but hey thats just me im weird like that i guess

what are you talking about man? I dont think the topic is coilovers... :shrug:

hmwave

Established Member
Just finished up putting my 00R's back on.

Sorry for the poor photo's but here's the broken Strange shocks.

StrangeShocks004.jpg

StrangeShocks006.jpg

StrangeShocks008.jpg

StrangeShocks012.jpg

Been a long time since I studied metallurgy but it's obvious the welds did not break as I'd first assumed. The shells themselves have torn along the length of the eye cylinder and the break surface looks like it has fatigued.

One of the shocks has slight rusting along the face of the break because that appears to have broken a few days ago (recall I thought the shock top nut was loose) and since then I drove through rain once.
The other is fairly clean as it broke off earlier today.

Looks to me like these failures were caused by cyclic stress that fatigued the shell and the metal just cracked apart.

Of course I may have been unlucky and received two weak shocks but that seems like a long shot IMHO.

This happened approx. 900 miles after I fitted the shocks with regular daily street and highway driving, no hard launches or violent wheel hop.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread