safest way to get under car

stangnut

WETAHDED FRICKIN' NOOB
Established Member
in the absence of a lift, how do you guys support your vehicle to get under it? 2 jackstands and your good to go? i'm a little shy about crawling under there so if there's any other suggestions i'd like to hear them:beer: this is for a longtube install if that helps or changes anything

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
4 jackstands on each corner of the frame.. I usually leave my jack under the diff or k member (with the jackstands there too) depending which end of the car i am working on..

tjs98gt

Established Member
jack stands. but im installing a lift in my garage this year, already bought it and set the concrete, just need to run the electric and drill the floor

fire

Bleeding Blue
Established Member
its a real pain in the ass, with my car lowered I have to jack it from the side, then from the k just to get horses underneath the control arms (there harded to get a sturdy base but I dont like putting any jack on any part of the unibody) then ill jack the back by the axle tubing and put a horse under each side... for my long tubes i had to go back and forth to get the car high enough and keep it level...

03CobraJet

Established Member
I would put two stands under the rear and two under the front sub frames. If your installing long tubes the car needs to be jack up quite a bite. I think some instructions say around
32 inches. To bad you cant find a lift to do it on.

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
Dont put a jack under the differential pumpkin, you can put it on either side though. For the fronts make sure its on the frame and not on the suspension or sheet metal!

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
RAMPS are the way to go. Go to homedepot, buy some wood, and make your own. It took me 1-2 hours with a jigsaw and hammer and nails. Now i dont have to worry about the car falling on my face.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
i put 4 jack stands under the car (1 at each end of the SFCs)

the best part is that i can lift both wheels at the same time with the SFCs!

tjs98gt

Established Member
its a real pain in the ass, with my car lowered I have to jack it from the side, then from the k just to get horses underneath the control arms (there harded to get a sturdy base but I dont like putting any jack on any part of the unibody) then ill jack the back by the axle tubing and put a horse under each side... for my long tubes i had to go back and forth to get the car high enough and keep it level...

sounds like you need some subframes or jacking rails to jack from

tjs98gt

Established Member
Got a link to the lift?

nope, bought it from my buddy, had it in his performance shop and relocated to another shop but wanted a 4 post lift so i took his 2 post. got a good deal on it though. im tired of jacking things up on my gravel driveway....gets kinda scared :eek: :lol1:

Robert Francis

Established Member
I use "Rhino Ramps" - but at the same time, I also put a couple of jackstands underneath too. If I'm just using jackstands, I'll double up on them, or put a couple hydraulic bottle jacks along side them.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
to jack the whole car up, i back onto my ramps i made and then jack the front up in the center on the jacking pointand will put 2 jack stands on the front.

Look on cobra bobs website where to jack, the pumpkin is not one of them.

cadde300

Established Member
I agree with the four jackstands and if you are doing long tubes you are going to want the whole car up in the air if possible. easier to get to the flow tubes when taking off or putting on the new midpipe. My car is very low so i can't get my jack under the subframes or the k member so i have to drive up on gardening blocks to get clearance. jack up in the middle of the k member and put two jacks under the front of the frame rails.....jack up the rear by the pumpkin, I have never had an issue with this over the many years i have done it, and put the other two jacks either under the axle or the rear of the frame rails....simple process.

Users who are viewing this thread