Safe to boost at 108k ? opinions please

bleedout

Established Member
So im thinking about buying a procharger kit for my mach however I would like some opinions from you all regarding boost and miles and would you rebuild first? I currently sit at around 108k, I drive my car as much as possible and it is very well maintained and cared for, with that said it runs excellent and i have zero issues. I personally am not worried about the mileage and boosting it, I feel comfortable with a safe boost level and fat tune that it would be fine but im just curious as to who else has an average to higher mileage boosted car and your thoughts?

scott_0

Established Member
since you know the history of the car, if the compression is good in all 8 cylinders (and within spec from highest reading to lowest) and the oil pressure is good, boost that thing, youll simply find the weak point in the higher mileage parts, such as the clutch etc.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Definitely run a compression test and a leakdown test to see how the bottom end and valvetrain are fairing. If those test come out within spec per the service manual, I'd go for it.

nxhappy

Established Member
boost should not be a problem, as long as you get a good tune.

bleedout

Established Member
Thanks guys. I just had the trans rebuilt and I installed all new supporting parts. McLeod clutch. Ect. New suspension. Everything is tight. I'll check and looking to do the procharger upgrade over the winter. Should be fun

oldmodman

Established Member
Remember to take the boost level into account.

What might have been perfectly safe at 1000 miles on the odometer might be an engine killer now.

just think of what might have happened to that engine along the way. Did a bad load of gas ever get into the tank? Every single detonation event will have overstressed the upper ring land. Weakening it. Not enough to cause excess blow by and poor compression but enough to make it just that small percentage weaker.

So go ahead and put on the new blower. But be prepared for a new engine or a rebuild somewhere down the road. Especially if you are going cent to build more power than before.

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
If you had supercharged it at 50k miles, would you pull it off now at 108k? Nope, you'd run it till it blows. I say boost away and don't look back.

Packerfan88

Established Member
I'm about to boost at 103k fug it if it blows it blows at least you will get to turn up the boost lol jk jk

bleedout

Established Member
^^^^ lol i love you're guys enthusiasm. and right on my thoughts exactly , now to scrounge up some money to boost or at very least cams...........

bamabox

Established Member
^^^^ lol i love you're guys enthusiasm. and right on my thoughts exactly , now to scrounge up some money to boost or at very least cams...........

I'm very much in the same place, and was 90% committed to doing cams this winter. Pull the motor, take my time and do it up right, especially degreeing. Fact is, to do it right is about $2500 in parts. Big cams, Cloyes gears, springs, retainers etc. I'm having a tough time justifying the cost and effort for 50 HP on a good day, and not much extra TQ. And, it's a drag only car.

For double the money, and probobly less effort, a centri would give you 125-150 fairly safely and massive TQ increase which is very important at the track.

All it takes is money.

Users who are viewing this thread