Safe Rpm Limit

nothingelse

03SilverSnake
Established Member
What is the Limit that These motors can handle in terms of Peak RPM's I noticed when I was at the track last weekend that Sutton HP either turned off my rev limiter or moved it cause One run I Got up to 7000 RPM in Second gear and was suprised that the car went that far.

I have the XCAL 2 Tuner can I plug that in and look at the settings that Sutton Has on there without Modifying it ? I don't want to screw the tune up and damage my motor.

03blucobra

Established Member
well im not sure if u can just plug it in and check it without screwing nething up....but since its not factory rev limiter i believe there is one...just farther then u think....so i wouldnt trust going past 6800.....when im at the track i usually shit at 6300....but thats me.....i ran 12.75 @ 109 but i missed 4th

Mac CAI
2.75 inch pulley with single snub idler pulley
Diablo Sport Predetor Programmer
TGK spark plugs

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
With no rev limiter in place the engine will keep revving till it breaks

I beleive you will start to experience valve float as you get close to 7000rpm with stock valve springs.

The crower off the shelf springs used with their stage II and III cams will work till about 8000rpm and after that your gonna need some better springs.

I was told the rotating assembly in my VT Billit stroker is good to 9000rpm, but I dont have the valve train to support it (I just have crower springs) so I try not to go over 7000rpm but its nice knowing that even pushing it to 7k I still have a decent safety margin.

primo

Established Member
Shadowgray03 said:
With no rev limiter in place the engine will keep revving till it breaks

I beleive you will start to experience valve float as you get close to 7000rpm with stock valve springs.

The crower off the shelf springs used with their stage II and III cams will work till about 8000rpm and after that your gonna need some better springs.

I was told the rotating assembly in my VT Billit stroker is good to 9000rpm, but I dont have the valve train to support it (I just have crower springs) so I try not to go over 7000rpm but its nice knowing that even pushing it to 7k I still have a decent safety margin.

You finally got her running? Sweet! What power is the new setup making?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
T BAG said:
You finally got her running? Sweet! What power is the new setup making?
Yep, been driving it all spring, so far so good. Only got 1 tuning pull on it last fall before I lost some coolant and had to call it quites(didnt have any more evans waterless so had to stop). 638rwhp, 18 deg total timing at 16psi with a nice fat A/F. I can only speculate what a couple more degrees of timing will do and leaning up the A/F at my current boost level..

Users who are viewing this thread