safe on a stock 5.0?

87stang

Established Member
I have and 87 5.0. I have no supporting equipment such as pistons or crank. The motor has 119K on it. Do you think I will be safe at 8-9 psi of a kennebell, or should I go with 6psi? :shrug:

366stroker

Established Member
boost or not

i assume you plan on not rebuilding the bottem end based on how your question is asked. if going to run a blower or s/c at least spend some money on the bottem end. the last thing you need is to bolt up your blower and go to the track and scatter you entire motor everwhere. and you may even hurt parts that you could be reusing. plus all the people at track will be pissed off at you for oiling down the lane. check around for some reputable engine shops and find out how much a stock rebuild would be. a blower or s/c build cylinder pressure and cylinder pressure is what makes horsepower your rings in your motor seal the cylinder to create this. you state you have over 100k on the clock your rings are probly worn a little and not owning this car oringaly who knows what has been through it. if your motor blows a little blue or white smoke now wait till you shove some boost at it youll kill every bug in site. get a stock rebuild run a 6psi s/c and have fun and drive from maine to califorina every day if you want. i used to have a s/c car but realized when chevy came out with the z06 that high compression and good cam selection will always make power. one bad ass car on motor 11s plus street legal. any more advice needed just reply. hopes this help you in the right direction. :D

87stang

Established Member
I guess I forgot to mention that the car is a street car. It will rarley if ever see the strip, mainly because the nearest is about 3 hrs from me. The car runs beautiful, no smoke, not a drop of oil. I had the heads ported and refurbished. I just thought 6psi would be ok?

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
so what your saying is your going to spend all that money on a super charger just to drive around and say you have one?

If you ever get on it something will break.

Running 6psi would jsut be no fun.

Spend the money on the motor first then get the s/c and let her rip. :banana:

alotahp92gt

Established Member
go for it man I ran 9 psi on my stock 89 for 70k miles and didnt have any problems. To hell with what all these yuppy **** say, you want a blower then get one. You will have a ton of fun. And if you are not happy with the blower... which you will be... then after you save enough cash then build yourself a good motor to take more boost. Either way do what you want and be happy. KB builds their blowers to be bolt ons to any 5.0 not just a built 331 ect.

366stroker

Established Member
**** you say

alotahp92gt said:
go for it man I ran 9 psi on my stock 89 for 70k miles and didnt have any problems. To hell with what all these yuppy **** say, you want a blower then get one. You will have a ton of fun. And if you are not happy with the blower... which you will be... then after you save enough cash then build yourself a good motor to take more boost. Either way do what you want and be happy. KB builds their blowers to be bolt ons to any 5.0 not just a built 331 ect.

buy what i see in your picture i didnt know 89 must gt came stock from the factory with a cobra intake and big tube headers cold air kit and every other week bolt on you have you need alot more then that just to hang with my all motor car. :nono: so be honest and tell us you rebuilt your bottom end. to handle all the so called power you have.

alotahp92gt

Established Member
Ok smart ass. By stock I was talking about heads and bottom end, the rest were supporting mods for the blower. I can't complain about 12.3 at 115mph on 9psi on a shitty powerdyne blower with stock heads and bottom end. He wants to put a KB on a stock 5.0 which will work good and be fun to drive! He wont really have to do anything but take off the upper intake and bolt up the kit. That is all it seems he is looking for. So if you want to be silly about it and not take my word that my bottom end was stock and over 120k miles, thats ok. I know what I have and don't have done. By the way this was all done on the cheep in my garage.
I also never claimed that I could hang with a higher displacement motor or bigger inches with my little blown 302, that was never my intent nor does that sound like what 87stang was trying to do. After all that time with my little 5.0 I have sence built and installed a little 306 and some alum. heads, so now after years of a stock motor and blower I dont have a stock motor anymore if that makes you happy.

Users who are viewing this thread