safe hp levels for stock 03-04 cobra

svt4cobra6

I was just wondering if anyone has been running more than 550hp for a long time and not had any engine problems? I read in MMFF (an article by a mod motor expert) stated that the 03-04 cobra motors are good up to about 550 hp (for motor longevity). If that is the case maybe a stock ported blower with supported mods is good enough as I think you can get close to that.

Well clearly the higher you go the more likely you decrease the longevity of the stock long block. A great tune is great, but high levels of boost still put an extreme amount of stress on the internals. I'm of the opinion that it gets more dangerous the higher you go. But if you have an endless supply of $$$ this shouldn't concern you with a few stellar rebuild options available in the aftermarket.

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
With proper mods and tuning a Terminator engine will hold north of 600rwhp nicely. I don't believe there is an exact "safe" number, the moment you start modding your car to increase performance the longevity of the engine decreases.

02reaper

Established Member
Read Iron Fist Lead Foot. I didn't see anything in there relationg to a certain hp/tq figure ford was building it for. They just kept dynoing engines and as they would break, then they would fix that specific thing and assume everything else was fine. This isn't the whole story, but you get the point.

Read Iron Fist Lead Foot. I didn't see anything in there relationg to a certain hp/tq figure ford was building it for. They just kept dynoing engines and as they would break, then they would fix that specific thing and assume everything else was fine. This isn't the whole story, but you get the point.

I have the book at home and it sure gives you an idea of how dangerous the thinking is with the longblock.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Bump that figure up to 600 with the right tune and supporting mods.

What he said. If you have the much hp/tq you don't use it at every stop. It's that simple. You abuse it you lose it! 600 in these cars is like 280 in an old Fox body. Now how long do some of those motors last?

Blown04GT

No, it's not a GT
Established Member
It's not just in the tune either, it's how you drive it. Mine is holding 805 for now (knocking on wood :) ) but I don't plan on driving the piss out of it either. Okay, I won't drive it like a grandma but that sure does increase the longevity.

Romans8:28

Established Member
It's not just in the tune either, it's how you drive it. Mine is holding 805 for now (knocking on wood :) ) but I don't plan on driving the piss out of it either. Okay, I won't drive it like a grandma but that sure does increase the longevity.

I apologize for "high-jacking" the thread, but I just wanted to congratulate you on a amazing build-up.......:beer:

I saw your car when it was about 70% complete at the fastlane shop. Caleb and company looked to be putting together a first rate package for you. The turbo kit and interconnecting piping looked fabulous. :rockon:

Are you going to be swapping to a solid rear?

Keep it between the ditches!

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
I was just wondering if anyone has been running more than 550hp for a long time and not had any engine problems? I read in MMFF (an article by a mod motor expert) stated that the 03-04 cobra motors are good up to about 550 hp (for motor longevity). If that is the case maybe a stock ported blower with supported mods is good enough as I think you can get close to that.

Are you talking about RW or FW horsepower?

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
if youre going to be in boost more than 50% of the time driving then i would say somewhere in the low to mid 600 hp range would be safe...but if you only get on it "once in a while" i dont see why 700+ would hurt anything....i know several people who have crazy setups on stock bottom ends who havnt encountered any problems yet

Users who are viewing this thread