Sadly...the Cobra is Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sick03Vert

Banned
Well it's been a crazy couple of weeks for me. One of the things that happened is I wound up doing what I told myself I never ever would: Selling my Cobra.

A local Mustang collector approached me while I was getting gas one day and asked if he could check out the car. I let him, and then he asks if I would ever sell it. I kinda chuckled because loads of people ask but they are never serious. I said, "Sure....$35k and it's yours!" and just kinda laughed it off. He told me if I was serious, he would take it. :uh oh:

I told him I would have to think about it. I went home....lost loads of sleep over the next 48 hours....and determined that financially it was just too good of a deal to pass up. I had bought the car for $25k over a year ago so that would mean a lot of cash in my hand. Times are really tight for me right now, especially after some things that have come up in the past couple of months, so I could really use the savings. Plus...I knew it was going to a good home, which meant a lot to me as well.

So...then it became an issue of "What's next?". I really wanted to go GT500, but it would have taken all of my extra cash to get one in the payment range I was looking for. Bummed, I started looking at C5Z06 Vettes. However, I really enjoyed the 2002 Targa I had for a month (it was bought back by the dealer after flood damage was found). Plus...there's around a $6k difference, and I just like the hatch styling more. It's personal preference I guess, and I KNEW that whatever I went with I would be modding immediately. :-D

After test driving a '13 GT, I will say I was impressed with the car. But I just didn't want to go from having leather and everything in the Cobra to a cloth seat base GT which was all I could really afford. So....decided to go with this 2004 Corvette. I really like the color and I was able to find it in a six speed which is awesome. It had 39k on it when I bought it and I picked it up for $17k, so it didn't seem like a bad deal TO ME. I'm not as suave apparently as some other members here. :shrug:

Anyway, when I first got the car it was SO underpowered...or at least that's what it felt like. So since then I've done a few simple modifications to it over the past few days to bring it up to par. The pictures I have right now are what the car was like the day I bought it. Once the weather clears up and I can get her washed and pretty, I'll take some updated shots. As far as the appearance goes, the car looks exactly the same anyway. We all know what a C5 looks like, so don't expect to be blown away. But I do like the lines on it.

So far, here's my take:

PROS:

-It gets it's power down very well, though the Nitto Invo's were on the car when I bought it already thankfully and they help a lot.
-It has the HUD option which is pretty cool if your a tech geek like myself
-The targa is nice....sun in your face and wind in your hair without the hassle of treating a cloth top with hundreds of sensors to go bad
-Insurance. I'm sure you guys know, but insurance is CHEAP! Seriously! I pay less for the Corvette than my 59 year old Dad pays for his Suzuki cruiser bike. It's that cheap
-The gas mileage is greatly improved
-It's a Corvette....so the chicks dig it. :coolman::-D
-Because the car was cheap, I was able to get a full extended warranty on it. My Cobra was flying blind...kinda scary.
-Super easy color to keep clean
-Interior is immaculate

CONS:

-It's LOW and my bad knee does NOT like this
-It's LOW...4" off the ground actually to the air dam. You have to adjust your driving style accordingly. 45 degree angles are your friend
-I worry about what's going to break. My experience with Corvettes is one month of ownership during which the car was three weeks in the shop. So I'm nervous about that.
-It's not a Ford
-It's not a Mustang
-I miss the hell out of my Cobra
-It makes me feel like a traitor
-I forget not to wave at Mustangs on the road
-It doesn't turn many heads going down the road
-It causes everyone to ask "Why not a Z06?" or "Why not a C7?"
-If I wasn't able to get parts cheap, I would have had to pay my left nut for parts. Everything is expensive.
-Driver's side rear TPMS sensor is on the fritz and reads low even when the tire is inflated correctly

All in all, it's not too bad. If I had both cars side by side and could own either for free, I'd take the Cobra every time. BUT...as things are, the Corvette it is. Hopefully with time I'll get attached to it, but I didn't have that excited feeling when I bought it. When I bought the Cobra, I was a kid on Christmas. But that's life for you.

Anyway, enough rambling...here's the car:

Front.jpg
Side.jpg
Rear.jpg
LS1.jpg
Engine.jpg

Sick03Vert

Banned
Inside.jpg
Seat.jpg
Dash.jpg
Floormat.jpg
Dash.jpg

I have more but you guys get the idea. Like I said, she's not the fastest car in town, or the only one in town, but it is a lot of fun and I freed up a LOT of cash making the move. So hopefully I don't get too much hate. I'm not going Chevy fan on you guys I swear. LOL.

Gonna be fun to take out 5th Gens who think we're on the same team. :thumbsup::dancenana:

And yes, it does have a CD player...it's a 12 disc changer in the trunk.

Last edited:

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
Have you put the mods in your sig on recently because that is a bone stock motor and exhaust? Love the color. My DD is the same color. Looks great washed and waxed.

And the guy actually paid 35k for a Terminator?

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
Are you kiddin?!

I woulda made the Jump to c6z06 territory but nice pickup buddy!

Sick03Vert

Banned
Have you put the mods in your sig on recently because that is a bone stock motor and exhaust? Love the color. My DD is the same color. Looks great washed and waxed.

Yes..these pictures were taken on day one.

I did put that in my first post, but it was a lengthy post so it's all good.

Updated pictures to come when the weather breaks and I get some time to clean her up.

Kiohtee

Established Member
As long as you're happy that's all that matters. :shrug:

Sick03Vert

Banned
Are you kiddin?!

I woulda made the Jump to c6z06 territory but nice pickup buddy!

I wanted to do that.....but then my payment would have gone the wrong way. :(

I gotta make due with what I can afford...and that means the C6Z is out of the question...for now. :p

Thanks man! :beer:

Sick03Vert

Banned
Still a sweet looking car! I sold my cobra last august and moved to the traitor side C6Z06 this year myself lol.

Thanks man. I'd love to have a C6Z...maybe one day. :beer:

As long as you're happy that's all that matters. :shrug:

Hey zhisel...didn't know you browsed this section. LOL.

Thanks...I think I will be happier once the cash starts adding up from the savings. :D

Kiohtee

Established Member
Hey zhisel...didn't know you browsed this section. LOL.

Thanks...I think I will be happier once the cash starts adding up from the savings. :D

I'm not particular, I look for trouble everywhere. :thumbsup:

Sick03Vert

Banned

And the guy actually paid 35k for a Terminator?

Yes he did....and that's why I could not say no. He REALLY, REALLY wanted a Torch Red 10th.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
You could've bought another Cobra for similar price as the Vette………………

Congrats on the Vette I guess?

Great move though on selling it, why would anyone pay 35k for a used Cobra?

Elwood617

Established Member
Nice C5 dude, there is a guy around here that has a pro charged C5 that looks just like yours. It's pretty bad-ass :)

gabe1530

Banned
nice corvette!

i would have bought another cobra and slowly modded that. either way, you got an amazing deal and i cant blame you as i would have done the same.

smitty2919

Established Member
Wait till the modding starts...you went from a SC car to a non SC car I would expect it to be "underpowered" lol. Throw a roots blower on it and let us know if you still miss the Cobra :)

That is the exact car I want next. A Pewter (or silver) C5 FRC 6 speed. Granted my goals would lie heavily in autocross. Bang for the buck its an awesome platform. Only reason I have my 95 Camaro was it was a deal and is a better chassis than mustangs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread