SA Cuts buisness with DSG/F&S

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
They make a damn fine 1911. Probably best for the money on the market at their price point.
meh...not my gun of choice (1911) other than to just dink around with.
I have a Ruger, a Kimber and a Taurus 1911. I actually prefer the Taurus, it gets the poop wrung out of it...the Kimber wont ever get shot because of sentimental reasons. From what I hear, that might be a positive since some are finicky.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
meh...not my gun of choice (1911) other than to just dink around with.
I have a Ruger, a Kimber and a Taurus 1911. I actually prefer the Taurus, it gets the poop wrung out of it...the Kimber wont ever get shot because of sentimental reasons. From what I hear, that might be a positive since some are finicky.

If you ever decide to buy another, this is purely my opinion and it is fairly exhaustively researched, although YMMV, YGWYPF, and YOLO.

The best "bargain" 1911 on the market today is Rock Island. The best midrange priced 1911 is Springfield Armory, and the best "premium" value in a 1911 is Dan Wesson. Once you get over that price range it almost becomes a matter of pure taste, Les Baer, Dan Brown, Wilson, Nighthawk, et. al.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I have the new DW/CZ catalog at home...just price shopping though
I'm shopping a 1911 in 9mm for competitions and if they made one outfitted like I want I would be all over one. I think overall, for the money, they are the best on the market right now.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
So glad this is going down!

How do you guys feel about the Remington R1 Enchanced 1911?

I can get one in stainless for about $750 and the only comparison from Springfield is the "loaded" model which is over $1,000.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
How do you guys feel about the Remington R1 Enchanced 1911?

I just looked at specs on that Remington. The SA with same specs is the Range Officer. Same price, street price anyway, maybe a little more. Superior firearm in my humble opinion.

Last edited:

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Remington's quality has been hit or miss over the last few years.

You might be able to get a pretty good firearm or a total horror that has a whole lot of hiccups and problems, and you don't really know until you buy it and run a few rounds/ mags through it

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I just looked at specs on that Remington. The SA with same specs is the Range Officer. Same price, street price anyway, maybe a little more. Superior firearm in my humble opinion.

One other thing I see that is different: Remington is 8-round and the Springfield is a 7-round.

Only other thing I cannot verify with the Springfield is the trigger weight. Two tests on the R1 Enhanced came back at 3.75 LB.

I like the Springfields for sure.

Cannot make up my mind, WAYYYYYYYYY too many options to choose from.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
One other thing I see that is different: Remington is 8-round and the Springfield is a 7-round.

Only other thing I cannot verify with the Springfield is the trigger weight. Two tests on the R1 Enhanced came back at 3.75 LB.

I like the Springfields for sure.

Cannot make up my mind, WAYYYYYYYYY too many options to choose from.
Wilson Combat, and Tripps make great mags that are 8 round capacity. It's not the gun that's 8 rounds versus 7, just the mags.

The trigger in my SA Range Officer is 4lbs from the factory, and is not hard to adjust if you don't mind taking the gun apart, which can be a bear the first time you do it on any 1911. Finding folks to work on 1911s is always a pain, so I do it myself.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Wilson Combat, and Tripps make great mags that are 8 round capacity. It's not the gun that's 8 rounds versus 7, just the mags.

The trigger in my SA Range Officer is 4lbs from the factory, and is not hard to adjust if you don't mind taking the gun apart, which can be a bear the first time you do it on any 1911. Finding folks to work on 1911s is always a pain, so I do it myself.

I hear you there. Just extra cash I'll have to drop on more mags.

I was checking out the loaded model by Springfield.

What do you think about SS mags vs. the standard finish? Any benefit?

Realistically, my budget is $1,000. I want a stianless model, black grips, light, crisp trigger, good sights (fiber optic or tritium like my P938)

-Chris

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I hear you there. Just extra cash I'll have to drop on more mags.

I was checking out the loaded model by Springfield.

What do you think about SS mags vs. the standard finish? Any benefit?

Realistically, my budget is $1,000. I want a stianless model, black grips, light, crisp trigger, good sights (fiber optic or tritium like my P938)

-Chris
I bought a stainless Range Officer two years ago for $850. The mags that came with it are polished stainless. The Wilson and Tripps Research 8 rd mags are also stainless, but with black baseplates. The top pistol is the RO. I fit a Wilson thumb safety on it, Smith and Alexander mainspring housing and mag guide, along with the VZ grips. Good trigger and very accurate.

fullsizeoutput_986.jpeg

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I bought a stainless Range Officer two years ago for $850. The mags that came with it are polished stainless. The Wilson and Tripps Research 8 rd mags are also stainless, but with black baseplates. The top pistol is the RO. I fit a Wilson thumb safety on it, Smith and Alexander mainspring housing and mag guide, along with the VZ grips. Good trigger and very accurate.

View attachment 1486554

Thanks for the info man!

Users who are viewing this thread