S55 AMG Benz vs. 03 cobra

LBguy

must get stronger!
Established Member
Still amusing how all this dumba$$es come on here never knowing trenyor and talk sh!t only to get their asses handed to them. Remember that one dude who called bs on the sl65 and he got a picture of his little girl holding up a nice note while standing next to the car? That was sweet :rockon:

westtx47

Established Member
Stormsigma said:
I'm sorry, but a decent driver can do all of that with any car. A manual equipped car is going to be much more involved. There's really not a viable argument you can give to deny the fact that AMG cars are just luxury barges with big engines.

"Throttle application". I actually got a laugh from that, thanks. :beer:

Hmph...and the Cobra is just a domestic ride with a supercharger?!

Funny how a lot of you say "its just the internet" or "I feel no need to defend myself"...when god knows that if someone's opinion conflicts with your own - ::click on reply:: - :poke:

It IS the internet and not much SHOULD be taken seriously, but...because people have opinions, that day will never come. Treynor, rock on :rockon: , I've had interest in RENNTech for about 10 years and have yet to see one. They're truly exclusive and damn fast. Auto or not...if anyone w/ a stickshift wants to dog the car because its auto...go ahead, give it a go at the track. I'd say low 11's is nothing to be ashamed of. Maybe thats just me ... :read:

Last edited:

Stormsigma

Went from 6.0 to 5.0!
Established Member
Wow, boy are my feelings hurt. :rolleyes:

My initial point remains through the supposed "ownage". An "ownage" that basically fell flat because I recanted the "you can't drive" statement before you posted. But I imagine you didn't see that, eh? And I guess it's no surprise, you look about the right age to require reading glasses. :beer:

The bottom line remains. You took an SL65 to the track and let a bunch of computers drive for you.

That required no skill. End of story.

Stormsigma

Went from 6.0 to 5.0!
Established Member
westtx47 said:
Hmph...and the Cobra is just a domestic ride with a supercharger?!

Funny how a lot of you say "its just the internet" or "I feel no need to defend myself"...when god knows that if someone's opinion conflicts with your own - ::click on reply:: - :poke:

It IS the internet and not much SHOULD be taken seriously, but...because people have opinions, that day will never come. Treynor, rock on :rockon: , I've had interest in RENNTech for about 10 years and have yet to see one. They're truly exclusive and damn fast. Auto or not...if anyone w/ a stickshift wants to dog the car because its auto...go ahead, give it a go at the track. I'd say low 11's is nothing to be ashamed of. Maybe thats just me ... :read:

"AMG cars are just luxury barges with big engines." and "the Cobra is just a domestic ride with a supercharger?!" aren't really relational. Sorry.

CoBrad

Established Member
Stormsigma, you are digging yourself a hole you may not be able to crawl out of. There are a lot of people here who have a lot of experience driving cars you only read about. Don't trivialize their experience or skills. You have been owned and instead of saying "I'm sorry man", you continue to berate things you have absolutely no understanding of.

My daily driver is an AMG SLK32. It has the TouchShift automatic and I think it is an amazingly quick car. I cannot imagine how fast the SL65 is. For day to day driving I cannot imagine a more fun car.

Be a stand up guy, say "I'm sorry", and learn something.

Brad

TheBigHrn

Established Member
He had apologized for what he knew was wrong, storm is just stating his opinion and is going to back it up....

Did he make a mistake by calling out treynor, yes, but try and see where both people are coming from...
Remember everyone has opinions!!!!

Squeeler92

treynor said:
Let's say rather that the car lets the driver concentrate on things which require human judgement (i.e. corner entry speed, throttle application, etc.) and not worry about those which don't. The new BMW M5, Ferrari F430, etc. work the same way. It's an example of technology improving objective results.

Redfire - mine is a RENNtech SL65 - 680 HP, 890 ft/lbs... your average boring convertible commuter-mobile :)

You sir, make way too much for a living and should hand some over to a needy college student....:)

And I hate all german cars. Not because of what they are, but what their drivers have made them. I know I'm generalizing, but I hate 99% of the fools that drive these things around thinking that they own the road. I would rather have a modded Viper tho and dry hump that V10 everyday.....heehee

Last edited by a moderator:

einzatgroupen

03 cobra
Established Member
personaly ilke manuals better but 890 ft-lbs damn that thing is sweet. cars are like girls some like em for some reasons others for other reasons. damn 890 damn :bowdown:

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
> I would rather have a modded Viper tho and dry hump that V10 everyday.....heehee

Trust me, it's overrated -- it's really hard to get a good position on that big V10. The blower gets in the way.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
redfire03 svt said:
Well, with my current mods, I guess the outcome was about right. I did not pull bus lengths, but did let him get the jump first, and then I started, so all in all I was happy with how my terminator performed. He was lucky I don't have my 2.93 pulley on yet:)

Don't feel too bad. Because of Ford's current weight obsession, the Benz doesn't weigh a whole lot more than you. BTW, they run 12.55 s in the 1/4 stock.

M SIX

Go Big or Go Home
Established Member
blah blah blah driver this driver that. Its a personal preference as far as im concerned between a manual or auto like the benz. I personally am a manual man as you can see in my sig. but I really like the new goodies the new M5 and the benz has to offer. Its cool to see the automobile evolving.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
While I like the auto's in the BMW's etc.. what I really like are the CVT's.. too bad that they can only handle anemic torque ratings, but once they are "figured out" and can handle high torque and rpm, you can guarantee that the expensive luxo cars will switch to them instead of the current 6 and 7 speed auto's..

and to get this back on topic, I'd love to race a S55 in my Cobra, be it win or loose..

65mph_Roll

Established Member
Steeda30 said:
Actually, from what I've heard, the AMG's have a built in launch system that pretty much gives the best possible launch with the given conditions. It's pretty crazy. Just mash it and go, the computer takes care of the throttle modulations required to keep traction. Cheating bastiges! :D

What about the 03/04 traction control? Doesn’t it give us a similar advantage? They seem to work by either retarding timing and reducing power at wheel spin, or by modulating the rear brakes. My friend has a Z06 with traction control and says he just gives it hell in the ¼ mile and lets the traction control do its thing.

Stormsigma

Went from 6.0 to 5.0!
Established Member
CoBrad said:
Stormsigma, you are digging yourself a hole you may not be able to crawl out of. There are a lot of people here who have a lot of experience driving cars you only read about. Don't trivialize their experience or skills. You have been owned and instead of saying "I'm sorry man", you continue to berate things you have absolutely no understanding of.

My daily driver is an AMG SLK32. It has the TouchShift automatic and I think it is an amazingly quick car. I cannot imagine how fast the SL65 is. For day to day driving I cannot imagine a more fun car.

Be a stand up guy, say "I'm sorry", and learn something.

Brad

Again, driving an SL65 requires little skill. End of story.

And yeah, because "being a man" means responding to an "owned" pic. Yeah, my thirteen year old cousins still do that kind of thing. It's not generally something that middle-aged balding guys who spend all their money on cars do.

Sorry, but I believe the bigger man here is me. Internet "owning" is for children or people who feel that they have something to prove.

Last edited:

Cobras_Rule

The Terminator Rules
Established Member
65mph_Roll said:
What about the 03/04 traction control? Doesn’t it give us a similar advantage? QUOTE]

no it just kills the power to the wheels for about 2-3 full seconds so they stop spinning. :mj:

Users who are viewing this thread