S2000 Brutal Crash Aftermath At Race Track

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Damn that sucks.
So,...what happens now? His insurance cover that, or does he have to pay out of pocket?

03'Darin

Established Member
Looks like Watkins Glen. Very unforgiving if you make a mistake there. He appears to be at an open track even. Not racing without a full cage.

Unless you buy a specific insurance for the track it won't cover that. I have seen people over the years get it covered in creative ways.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Ouch! That happened to a blue s2000 a couple of weeks back in sonoma. I think those dark color blue s2000s are rare too.

96 cobra

Established Member
Definitely not the easiest to control cars at the limit, the back end does things very quickly.

smitty2919

Established Member
People say road racing is autocross in slow motion...but the penalty for mistakes can be devastating.

KyleSVT

Terminated
Established Member
Damn that sucks.
So,...what happens now? His insurance cover that, or does he have to pay out of pocket?
So if he bought track insurance for the event its covered. If he didn't most likely out of pocket or some people have coverage if its just a track day and not an actual race

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
That’s tough to see. I did one track event in my car, the track insurance was $350 with a 20% of Cars value for deductible or $7k in my situation. I didn’t get it. I watched a brand new MB GT-S go off on lap two of session one and nearly hit a wall..... I gotta admit it slowed me a bit. By the end of the day I realized for me the risk out weighed the reward. I keep my cars in mint condition... Between possible track debris damage, wear and tear and Driver error... it’s not for me in my current cars.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
That’s tough to see. I did one track event in my car, the track insurance was $350 with a 20% of Cars value for deductible or $7k in my situation. I didn’t get it. I watched a brand new MB GT-S go off on lap two of session one and nearly hit a wall..... I gotta admit it slowed me a bit. By the end of the day I realized for me the risk out weighed the reward. I keep my cars in mint condition... Between possible track debris damage, wear and tear and Driver error... it’s not for me in my current cars.
definitely missing out. Time to sell the boss! :(

MFE

Established Member
When S2000's first came out, they seemed to have a magnetic attraction between their rear ends and solid objects off track. They are lively. Aguably unforgivig. If you can drive one really fast, you're doing very well, but you are dancing on a limit. They're pure and they don't have the modern Hand of GOd to reach in and save you from yourself if you lift off the gas when you shouldn't.

As for the "it's too risky" mentality, I've been doing track days for 15 years. The old rule of thumb was, "one car will get wrecked per weekend...don't be that guy". It's still pretty much true. You want to know how not to be that guy when you're new to this? Go in humble, with big ears. I can almost predict the people who will bend their cars. They're there to Go Fast Now. They have no f-ing idea how much they can contribute to (or limit) their cars' performance. They get out there in ridiculously capable cars and have no idea how much the cars' control systems are enabling them. Fingerpainters who produce a good painting with computer assistance and think it's all them. The ones who don't understand, won't understand, that if they train, they could produce Picasso's with the tools available today. Cars today are so good. Even better if you actually work with them. But if you don't know how to work with them, you end up making paint marks on barrier walls and blame the sport for being too dangerous.

Last edited:

08mojo

Established Member
The deductible is usually huge too. As in $7,500-10,000

The deductible for track insurance is typically a percentage of the agreed upon value for the vehicle being covered. Key here is agreed upon value. When I bought track day insurance, they told me to list all modifications and take them into consideration towards the car's value. They obviously have to agree with your valuation of car, but it was easy for me.

I believe mine was 10% of the agreed upon value, but now I am starting to wonder if it was higher... Regardless, I bought the track insurance for the days I went to HPDE. It covers more than just your car, it also covers any damage to the track caused by you. I hear you on the risk vs reward. It's not worth it in a car you want to keep showroom clean. I'd definitely have to get an old fox body or something similar in price that I could thrash and not care too much if the car got damaged.

smitty2919

Established Member
Buy Fbody/FoxBody/Miata
Make into Racecar
Don't care if you stuff it into a wall (assuming no injury)
Fix car for cheap or scrap it
Start over...

Guys have balls beating the snot out of any car valued over $20,000 IMO for this reason. Newer the car the less likely of a total, but damn they are $$$ to fix.

I like owning a 95 Z28 for that reason (cheap to mod and fix), but the flip side is it can get annoying as time goes on being in a no AC/no cruise control/stiff coil over car day in and day out. It is nice to take a break and drive the wife's 08 Lexus IS250...or our truck.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The old rule of thumb was, "one car will get wrecked per weekend...don't be that guy". It's still pretty much true. You want to know how not to be that guy when you're new to this? Go in humble, with big ears. I can almost predict the people who will bend their cars. They're there to Go Fast Now...

But I drive flat out! That is why I need to be moved to the run group that is the fastest. So that I can drive flat out.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
I would buy/install a roll cage before track tires (and I assume wheels).

I do not track anymore, but if I wanted to track I would use a disposable vehicle like a Miata, or even a Super Seven.

E

Users who are viewing this thread