S197 rear seat in New Edge. Can it be done?

fastninja

Established Member
Fellas,

I know the question has been asked before but havent found a definitive answer. Is it possible to install the S197 rear seat in an SN95? I picked up a complete set front and rear seats for 400$ and was ony planning on replacing the fronts but since I got the rear as well, why not give it a shot?

Scud2

Established Member
Fellas,

I know the question has been asked before but havent found a definitive answer. Is it possible to install the S197 rear seat in an SN95? I picked up a complete set front and rear seats for 400$ and was ony planning on replacing the fronts but since I got the rear as well, why not give it a shot?
I'll be keeping an eye on this one. Curious as well

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

fastninja

Established Member
If no one has done it, it will definitely be a case of trial and horror o_O I´ll update this thread as the work progresses. It´ll be a while though since my car is in storage and probably won´t see daylight for another couple of weeks.

FalkenXC

Going to follow this thread. The seats in my mom's 07 are so much nicer than my 99. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

fastninja

Established Member
Picked up the seats this morning and it´s clearly going to be a challenge. For starters, the seat rest is two pieces whereas the SN95´s is a one piece. Just a quick reflection.

fastninja

Established Member
OK, so the sun is shining and my fingers are itching so I awake the beast (well) from it´s winter sleep and pull the seats from the car so I can compare them to the S197 ones.

I knew the S197 rear seat was wider but was surprised to see it was actually 6" wider as shown in the pictures below.

2017-04-01 11.48.33.jpg
2017-04-01 11.46.03.jpg
2017-04-01 11.44.57.jpg

2017-04-01 17.12.25.jpg

I should mention that my car is a ragtop so I don´t know if the width of the seats differ between the verts and the coupes. However, the cushion height of the S197 seat was more or less the same and the cushion depth was around 1,5" deeper than the SN95 seat.

So, it´s obviously not a direct fit so let´s tear out the quarter panels to see if that helps. No scews, just plastic plugs so the quarter panel comes of real easy.

2017-04-01 17.35.13.jpg
Oh yeah, the speaker box has to go as well. Loosen the speaker connections and the three screws holding the box. One up top, one in the door well and the one thas is on the end of the bracket you see in the picture.

Now that everything is out of the way, let´s put the seat and seat rest in.

2017-04-01 18.42.47.jpg

2017-04-01 18.44.07.jpg

2017-04-01 18.42.30.jpg
2017-04-01 18.43.39.jpg

So the answer to my own question, yes it can be done but not without modifications. Besides removing the speaker box, I´ll have to cut and remove some of the lower quarter panel. Downside is that everything electric is potentially exposed even if the seat will cover it. I wouldn´t want someone to spill a drink between the seat and the panel so I have to insulate somehow. No rear speakers also kind of sucks.

As can be seen, my car is a vert and the top folds up and down without obstruction at all. If you have a coupe, you don´t have to worry about that. The seat rest sticks up a little higher than the SN95 seat but not so much that it bothers me. I still have full visability through the rear window with the top up.

This was just a test run so besides cutting the speaker panel, I have to fasten the adjustable lower hinge on the seat rest to the body. Up top I´ll use velcro tape to keep the seat rest fastened to the boot. The seat itself has to be modified a little bit to get rid of the gap you see in the picture. I haven´t figured out how to fasten that yet but maybe you have an idea about that?

What about seat comfort you say? Well, you sit a little bit more straight up but not so much that it´s a problem. This is not a back seat for cross country road trips anyways. The cushion however, is lightyears more comfortable than the SN95 seat. You have more of an angle on the legs and you sit more firmly in your seat.

So, the only question that remains. Go or no-go to make it permanent?

Attachments

• 2017-04-01 17.21.11.jpg
    2017-04-01 17.21.11.jpg
    718.7 KB · Views: 218

fastninja

Established Member
Here is the adjustable hinge on the rear seat and the plug on the seat that I mentioned above.

2017-04-01 19.47.01.jpg
2017-04-01 18.57.35.jpg

KEVINS

Established Member
Boy, IMO, not worth the hassle for what is gained for a back seat. But if you continue good luck and write up the details for everyone.

ks

Scud2

Established Member
I remember one time when I had someone in the back seat...it was me! I removed the gray ones to put in black seats to match my fronts!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

fastninja

Established Member
Boy, IMO, not worth the hassle for what is gained for a back seat. But if you continue good luck and write up the details for everyone.

ks
If my front seats didn´t have the same color combo, I would agree. But fronts with grey and rear seat without triggers my OCD reflex :) The rear seat was "free" so If I can´t make it look good, I´ll roll back the process and learn to live with the different color tone.

Stellerjd

Established Member
If my front seats didn´t have the same color combo, I would agree. But fronts with grey and rear seat without triggers my OCD reflex :) The rear seat was "free" so If I can´t make it look good, I´ll roll back the process and learn to live with the different color tone.

Any updates?? Was installing the front seats straight forward?

Users who are viewing this thread