#'s matching??

MICH_427_Cobra

Established Member
Do the 93's have VIN numbers on the engine and trans? If so, where are they, can they be easily viewed?

It is a real cobra with a D vin and all the body tags are in place, as is the radiator support mounted "metal tag".

I just want to confirm it is the right motor and trans.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
to my knowledge none of the manufacturers have stamped matching vins on the engines and such since the early 70's.

I have not seen any numbers on my motor

kcp203

Established Member
Ford never had VIN #s on parts even in the '60s. The only way on the earlier Stangs to roughly figure out if the parts were correct was to look at the date codes on the castings for the engine and transmission tag. If the code put production of the parts within a few weeks before the production of the car, it is likely that the parts are original. Obviously, if the code puts production of the part after production of the car you know it's not origina.

I have never looked on my newer mustangs for date codes since I have been the original owner on all of my newer stangs. Maybe someone else knows if Ford still uses the casting and production dating code system for parts.

02_Lightning

Established Member
There is a sticker on the passenger side valve cover that gives a date, and has a number as well. You can track this back to see what car it went on.

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
Yes the VIN# is on the engine block and on the trans. I dont know if you would be able to see it while in the car though. If you look at the top of the engine block , just behind the back of the lower intake manifold ,you will see that the block is machined flat( this is the same surface the intake sits on ) just a little to the left of center you will see the last 8 digits of the car's VIN#. I have seen it in more than one place on trans. , so not sure where to tell you to look . The manufacturers are required by federal law to mark all component parts of a car as part of the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) component parts = fenders , doors, hood, engine, trans, quarter panels. the drivers door is only exception , IF it has the federal safety sticker(tire size,wieght,build date,etc.) wich contains the VIN anyway.I will get a picture of the engine VIN stamping tomorrow for you.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Yeah, All ford blocks from 1968 until now have the last few digits of the vin# stamped on the block. Like Cobr96 said the 5.0s have it on the flat surface behind the intake. It is almost impossible to read with the motor in the car. The #'s are only about 1/4" - 5/16" tall.

Blown93Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by kcp203
Ford never had VIN #s on parts even in the '60s. The only way on the earlier Stangs to roughly figure out if the parts were correct was to look at the date codes on the castings for the engine and transmission tag. If the code put production of the parts within a few weeks before the production of the car, it is likely that the parts are original. Obviously, if the code puts production of the part after production of the car you know it's not origina.

I have never looked on my newer mustangs for date codes since I have been the original owner on all of my newer stangs. Maybe someone else knows if Ford still uses the casting and production dating code system for parts.

Actually, there were many 289 HIPO and 428CJ and SCJ motors and transmissions that had complete or partial VIN numbers stamped on them in the 60's. Pretty much just the Hi Performance equipment though. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread