S/Ced Marauder vs. 03 Vette

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
I'm washing my 03 Marauder in one of those self-serve wash bays, and just as I finished, here comes this Red Vette (looked like an 03 , but I cannot tell between 03 and 04's anyway) who also just finished washing his car, through the parking lot headed out to the road just as I was, and when he goes by me, he hammers on the go pedal momentarily to make some noise and get my attention.....

I've had my car supercharged for 15 months now, and every time I see a Vette, there's just too much traffic to be driving nuts on the public streets in. So I've never been challenged by any Vette driver nor had an opportunity before to challenge one had I wanted to. So this was very tempting to say the least since I've beaten three LS1 equipped Camaro SS cars with my Marauder before, one of them being modified (headers, cam, ported cylinder heads).

When we both got out onto the street, I was surpised that there was a pretty big break in the traffic, and that it provided an excellent opportunity for a little duel between us, because it was 3:30 in the afternoon, whereas usually the only time when I'm on a street in my area with some very sparse traffic like that is after midnight on a weeknight when most people are home in bed.

So we both end up side-by-side at a traffic light that turned red. I look over at him as if to say.."Okay, now that we're both out of that parking lot where you chose to make some noise, show me what you got now Vette boy." However, what was also going through my mind was, although I might not get an opportunity like this again in awhile, the tires on his car as well as on my car must still be kind of wet from having just washed them.

So I was concerned about him losing enough traction and perhaps not wanting to get beat by a big tank of a car like mine enough to stay on the gas and fishtailing into my car. So I decided to hesistate just enough when the light turned green to let him get just a little jump to make sure that his car wouldn't end up right against mine.

Light turns greeen, he takes off, and I hear his tires spinning, but it wasn't enough to make his car fishtail, nor enough to smoke em at all. With my drag radials and the 4.56 gears, I usually have to walk my car out of the hole at half throttle for about the first 20 feet, and then just before the trans hits second gear I can hammer it to the floor.

But with the possibility of my rear meats still being a little wet, I decided to walk it out of the hole with half throttle for a good 40 feet instead, and peg it to the floor just as it was going into second gear. So since I deliberately gave him the jump, he gained about one and a half car length lead on me right away. The road was straight for the first 150 feet, and then it bent slightly to the left in a very mild and wide open curve for about the next 30 feet, and then it straightened out to a nice long open stretch for 1,000 feet.

So as the Vette boy took the quick lead, I walked it out of the hole at half throttle as planned for about the first 40 feet, and after that I let out the beast from within underneath the hood and hammered the loud pedal.....

My back tires grabbed perfectly and by that time his had already gained perfect traction too. I began to gain on him, and just as my car was right at his right rear quarterpanel, we were traveling through that brief and mild 30 foot long bend in the road. It was a very mild bend that wasn't sharp at all, and offered perfect visibility on both sides, and w/out any parked cars nor driveways, nor side streets near by for anyone to pull out in front of us, and also with guardrails on both sides. This is why I chose to run up against him, because I knew the area, and it offered very minimal risks.

well, he was in the left lane, and this mild bend went to the left, so he had the advantage going into the turn, because not only was he still in front of me, by a half car length, but he also had the inside of the turn. But that didn't even matter. I passed right by his better handling car right smack in the middle of this brief turn, and did it on the outside of the turn. :-D

He must have been shocked, because I heard his LS1 engine winding up the whole time, and so I know he was into the gas real hard just as I was. Little did he know until that point that he picked the wrong Marauder to mess with that day. Anyway, the road straightened out again, and by the end of that brief bend in the road I was now ahead with his car breathing down my neck and still reving hard trying to regain his lead. But it still didn't matter.

I was not about to give up my lead now that I had it, and I stayed on that go pedal with what must have been all of the 205 LBS in my body! So my Marauder just kept walking away slowly but clearly and steadily. When I hit 110 MPH I had atleast 3-3.5 car lenghts on him, and he then backed off and gave up, and then so did I. Game over. Marauder 1, Vette 0

We both then mellowed out, and it was for the best anyway, because by then we were both coming up on some traffic up ahead as well as an intersection, and it was time to slow way down. As we both blended into the traffic, his lane began to travel faster than mine, and he went by me. I expected to get a look and perhaps a thumbs up from him, or some tyype of positive acknowledgement, since he just got beat.

But to my surprise, he just hit the gas hard momentarily kind of ****y like, as he was going by me, and just as he originaly did in the carwash parking lot. I thought that was pretty lame of him, so then up ahead as my lane began to get less congested, and I went by him, I rolled down my window, and gave him a shrug of the shoulders facing my palms up to the sky as I looked right at him, as if to say..."What happened? Where's the torque?"

So he then did acknowledge me by giving me a friendly beep of the horn. So I gave him a thumbs up. We were coming up to the highway entrance, and so I hit my right turn signal to get on, and as soon as he saw me signal, he jumped behind me into my lane, so that he could get on the highway too.

I thought to myslef.."Alright, I'll be glad to burn you again my friend"......
but alas, the traffic on the highway was just too heavy during that time of day for us to do anything that wouldn't be too risky. So again, we both just mellowed out, and he then got off two exits up ahead. But he showed some class and maturity by not tailgating me, and recognizing that the traffic was too heavy to start rat racing around. And in a situation like that, most ricers would've started tailgaiting me, and attempting to squeeze between my car and the cars in the righthand lane just to get ahead of me despite me having already proved that my car was quicker.

I don't know if this Vette was stock, my guess is that for the most part, it probably was close to it, but the exhaust didn't sound stock anyway, and he also had some type of aftermarket wheels too, but that's all that I know. I wish that I could've had the opportunity to pull over and talk with him to find out about his car, but I didn't. BTW, let me say that this isn't an attempt on my part to bash Vettes. In fact, I happen to like the LS1 & LS2 engines, and I don't think that they're any slouches at all.

Last edited:

Y2KSVT

Established Member
Good read! Awesome kill! Thank you for using proper grammar and punctuation! Makes for a more enjoyable, and more believable thread :thumbsup:

Mark

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
Y2KSVT said:
Good read! Awesome kill! Thank you for using proper grammar and punctuation! Makes for a more enjoyable, and more believable thread :thumbsup:

Mark
Thanks for that review Mark, and I'm glad that you enjoyed it. :D

BayouVette

Far Beyond Driven
Established Member
you do have a highly modified car, but do you think he was really reving and goosing it leaving the car wash to get your attention.

Just curious. I really like those cars, but the normal crowd would think nothing of a marauder to entice it to race..

Good kill, i dont think i could ever go full throttle through any kind of curve.

bad360rt

slo truk
Established Member
GTSpartan said:
Nice race.

You drive around on the street with drag radial :rollseyes
I know a lot of people around here that run DR's all the time. I did for some time, till one of my DR's got a gash in it somehow. Now I'm back on street tires until I get another set. Granted, my truck isn't a daily driver anymore, but it still sees quite a few miles. I was out cruising Sunday night and couldn't launch at more than half throttle, what fun is that? :D

Dan SS2471

Established Member
GTSpartan said:
Nice race.

Nothing really wrong with it. Is your thinking that it's 'cheating' or 'dangerous'?

Thrust

Established Member
That was a great kill and write up!! :beer: I see in your sig that you are running a eaton m112. How difficult was the transfer? Are you running a basic terminator setup (Blower, lower intake, he, coolant tank)? My nephew has a stock 04 marauder and was intrested in running a cobra setup on his car.

Y2KSVT

Established Member
GTSpartan said:
Nice race.

And what's wrong with driving around with drag radials? Most cars worthy of needing drag radials are generally not daily drivers anyway. So taking your weekend car out with drag radials is not uncommon. Besides, not everyone frequents the track 5 times a month to warrant buying drag radials.

Mark

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Brad said:
Uhhh alot of people do.

you drive around on the street with 800hp :rollseyes

I was just wondering because if I run them on my car on the street, I'll sand blast the paint right off my rocker panels and wheel wells becasue they pick up every rock and pebble on the road.

I also don't like to sacrifice the handling. As for the marauder, why would you want to drive a car like that with DR around. Don't you feel you're sacrificing the ride, handling, and longevity by running them. It seems you could get nearly as much traction by running a good all around performance tire. (Kumho V700's, Pilot Sports, Sport Cups)

Just looking for you opinions, thats all

Last edited:

Tallboy

Say "When"...
Established Member
I think I know where this all went down. Billy, is there a diner and a tire store near this car wash?

Excellent kill!!! :burnout:

Brad

Banned
GTSpartan said:
I was just wondering because if I run them on my car on the street, I'll sand blast the paint right off my rocker panels and wheel wells becasue they pick up every rock and pebble on the road.

I also don't like to sacrifice the handling. As for the marauder, why would you want to drive a car like that with DR around. Don't you feel you're sacrificing the ride, handling, and longevity by running them. It seems you could get nearly as much traction by running a good all around performance tire. (Kumho V700's, Pilot Sports, Sport Cups)

Just looking for you opinions, thats all

Well the rolleyes made it seem like you thought it was a bad idea. Unless you're planning on throwing the car through turns etc, drag radials arnt that bad. I don't daily my car but it always runs a set of drag radials on it. We don't own vipers, all we've got is the strait line shot, we need all the help we can get. :thumbsup:

cabettne

Established Member
BayouVette said:
Just curious. I really like those cars, but the normal crowd would think nothing of a marauder to entice it to race...
I would think the majority of the "normal crowd" wouldn't know what a marauder is... :burnout:

Nice kill :-D

primetime

Established Member
Nice run! Sounds like a sweet Marauder you have. The guy who tunes my car(Lidio Iacobelli) has a blown Marauder that runs mid 11's. At least that is what he ran last time I seen him at the track but it is probably faster now since that was the spring. Quite a sleeper I must say. later Ron

jstevens

Established Member
bad360rt said:
I know a lot of people around here that run DR's all the time. I did for some time, till one of my DR's got a gash in it somehow. Now I'm back on street tires until I get another set. Granted, my truck isn't a daily driver anymore, but it still sees quite a few miles. I was out cruising Sunday night and couldn't launch at more than half throttle, what fun is that? :D

Actually, Billy's car is his daily driver. When you hear those kooks headers, its easy to see why someone would want to test it out.

As far as s/c, www.trilogyintl.com makes a Marauder specific s/c'r. As does Vortech and ProCharger.

Teal94BirdV8

5.0 HO
Established Member
bad360rt said:

An AF'er, huh?

But yah, decent punctuation makes a read that much more enjoyable.

Sully008

Established Member
Nice kill as usual, Billy! As stated ^, Billy's car is his daily driver, 365 day a year. There are now 100 Trilogy S/C Marauders, and with 2 other S/C kits out there, plus at least one turbo setup, we've got it pretty good considering there's only about 11,000 MMs out there. One of these days, that M112's going to be on my engine!!

Users who are viewing this thread