s/c pulley puller broke!! need help

beyondredline

Established Member
My LFP pulley puller tool broke.:fm::mj: Any ideas on removing the allen bolt without damaging the s/c shaft?

Attachments

• pullwy.jpg
    pullwy.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 113

beyondredline

Established Member
If you piled the threads up weld a nut onto it. If not, it should spin out with vice grips or by hand easily.

It's tight on there.

I found one of those rubber strap wrenches at Lowes. Hopefully it will hold the s/c shaft from spinning when I use a vice grip on the allen bolt. I will give it a try tomorrow.

cj428mach

Established Member
take your new pulley you're going to install and heat it in the oven. Once warm run out to the garage with an oven mitt and slip it on. You have to get it right as you only get one shot. After the pulley is on and cooled put the belt on and then use a vice grip to remove the bolt from the snout.

Last edited:

beyondredline

Established Member
I might try that since I wont have a pulley tool available till Monday. So if I heat it up it should slide right in? I thought steel expands when heated

Last edited:

Coxy

Established Member
Warming the pulley should expand it enough to get it slipped on the shaft. Could cool the blower shaft a bit just for the added help.

Coxy

Established Member
If you can't get the strap wrench to bite, and can't get the pulley "sweated" into the shaft, you could use some soft aluminum, or copper and make mini soft jaws for vice grips on the shaft. Hopefully the stud comes out easy enough that you don't have to get too serious with it though. Good luck man!

cj428mach

Established Member
I might try that since I wont have a pulley tool available till Monday. So if I heat it up it should slide right in? I thought steel expands when heated

Yep it'll work but be warned you have just a few seconds from the time you go to put it on the shaft to where it becomes locked on there.

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
Do you have access to a cordless impact or air tools/compressor?
If you had a cordless impact with allen socket I bet the impact action would take it out even with little effort holding the blower input shaft.

Good luck! It will come out.

SV

Users who are viewing this thread