S/C or Turbo

S/C or Turbo

• Total voters

SVTlover

Ur anger is my power
Established Member
I was wondering Why Ford used a S/C on the 03/04 Cobras. Does it meet EPA standers easier/ Or is it cheaper to mass produce? What kind of Stock numbers could be produced with a turbo? How much HP does it take to turn a stock S/Cer on these cobras? I would like to see who would of checked a turbo Box if it was available.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
SVTlover said:
I was wondering Why Ford used a S/C on the 03/04 Cobras. Does it meet EPA standers easier/ Or is it cheaper to mass produce? What kind of Stock numbers could be produced with a turbo? How much HP does it take to turn a stock S/Cer on these cobras? I would like to see who would of checked a turbo Box if it was available.

Turbo systems are 6 to 8 grand. S/C about 3-4. Ford has used S/C for a long time. Paxtons were some of the first I recall on the old T-Birds. Turning a blower takes about 40-50 hp, I think thats a ball park figure. Turbos are getting really good and spooling like lightning, it would be nice to see big turbo on a real engine!

knowfreed0m

Blown Is Better
Established Member
I'm sure about 90% of people will vote turbo for its "free power" with little to no engine stress and it's capablility of making very high numbers. S/C are nice as hell but turbo to me is just so much better in terms of making big power.

XtremeAceX

Established Member
cause its a muscle car.. like the huge blowers out of the hood of old muscle cars back in the late 60's.
btw thats just my opinion lol.. i dont know the real reason tho lol

gotta love those blowers :beer:

FuryShift

You are slow.
Established Member
Canada said:
Turbochargers are the most efficent way to make power.

:pop: Definately.

Not the cheapest like 99% of people I run into prefer.
:rolleyes:

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
A properly designed turbo is much more efficient than a SC. However, because of space and heat constraint's, its very hard to do from the factory on such cars as the stangs. Its also a bit harder to properly tune a turbo car. SC is much cheaper also from the builder's standpoint. You dont have all that piping, valves, etc to deal with.

As far as me? My GT will keep the factory blower, but my daily driver coupe project will be turbo'd.

tvguy

Benaa said:
A properly designed turbo is much more efficient than a SC. However, because of space and heat constraint's, its very hard to do from the factory on such cars as the stangs. Its also a bit harder to properly tune a turbo car. SC is much cheaper also from the builder's standpoint. You dont have all that piping, valves, etc to deal with.

As far as me? My GT will keep the factory blower, but my daily driver coupe project will be turbo'd.

Agreed, but there's also that tiny group called the EPA looming over Ford's head. I highly doubt they seriously considered turbocharging even for a second with the 03/04 Cobra's. And let's by chance say it did come from the factory with a turbo. With a V8, it would most likely have to be a twin turbo setup to pass emissions in all 50 states. Lordy that would add some costs to the car to put it mildly. And to boot, they would surely would have used some TINY turbochargers for emissions. So here we have this great V8 with a twin turbocharger setup with the smallest turbos you can find (possibly maxed out from the factory) and MAYBE you can turn up the wick a bit with the boost to make more power, but these tiny turbos quickly run out of steam at higher RPM's. To get REAL power you have to upgrade TWO turbos and for a number of states, this isn't going to fly. Again because of emissions. I could go on, but from a manufacturer stand point it makes NO sense to offer turbos from the factory with the 03/04 Cobra. Ford did it right, and the aftermarket is always there to add "more" HP when needed. I think there would be less aftermarket "options" if the car came from the factory with turbos. In Cali, we definitely wouldn't be able to add larger turbos and pass emissions. No way no how. I won't argue that turbos are the way to go from solely a performance stance, but NOT from the factory. No, Ford knew what they were doing, they did it right and we've enjoyed the ride. As has the aftermarket companies. Kudoes to Apten, Kenne Bell and now Whipple. A "turbo" 03/04 Cobra from Ford sounds great at first, but for MANY reasons it was not, nor should have been produced.
pacotaco

XtremeAceX

Established Member
pacotaco said:
Agreed, but there's also that tiny group called the EPA looming over Ford's head. I highly doubt they seriously considered turbocharging even for a second with the 03/04 Cobra's. And let's by chance say it did come from the factory with a turbo. With a V8, it would most likely have to be a twin turbo setup to pass emissions in all 50 states. Lordy that would add some costs to the car to put it mildly. And to boot, they would surely would have used some TINY turbochargers for emissions. So here we have this great V8 with a twin turbocharger setup with the smallest turbos you can find (possibly maxed out from the factory) and MAYBE you can turn up the wick a bit with the boost to make more power, but these tiny turbos quickly run out of steam at higher RPM's. To get REAL power you have to upgrade TWO turbos and for a number of states, this isn't going to fly. Again because of emissions. I could go on, but from a manufacturer stand point it makes NO sense to offer turbos from the factory with the 03/04 Cobra. Ford did it right, and the aftermarket is always there to add "more" HP when needed. I think there would be less aftermarket "options" if the car came from the factory with turbos. In Cali, we definitely wouldn't be able to add larger turbos and pass emissions. No way no how. I won't argue that turbos are the way to go from solely a performance stance, but NOT from the factory. No, Ford knew what they were doing, they did it right and we've enjoyed the ride. As has the aftermarket companies. Kudoes to Apten, Kenne Bell and now Whipple. A "turbo" 03/04 Cobra from Ford sounds great at first, but for MANY reasons it was not, nor should have been produced.
pacotaco

Holy Sh!t pacotaco!.. very well put. Definately cant say you dont know your stuff ;-) :beer: hehe

I talked to SVT yesterday and they told me if there wasnt noise emissions the eaton roots blower would be alot better than it is. Some people think that Eaton has a poor design but its because of regulations. The magnum powers S/C aftermarket case is what the Eaton should have been, the noise reduction cycle was taken out and the rotors were pushed forward. Im gonna buy one for 1700 just because its cheap and its better than porting and polishing.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Just FYI the Ford GT's blower eats up 100hp at max revs. A turbo would not be draining any power once it gets spooled

WraithCobra

Don't want a GT500
Established Member
You forgot to mention the different types of supercharging, centrifugal or positive displacement (such as the in the Cobras). I like the flat torque curve a positive displacement supercharger provides, I wouldn't have bought the Cobra if it were centrifugal or a turbo.

Users who are viewing this thread