S/C or Heads?

LILJohnSVT

Established Member
I'm trying to get into the 11's safe on my stock block. I run 12.3x's pretty consistent. I have a set of cams for my truck, they are some stage 2's. I have a M.P. s/c on it now at 17# of boost. Now the question is, do i put a set of ported heads with my cams? Or do i put my cams on the stock heads and upgrade the s/c? This is to get the 11 second time slip i been wanting, but still being safe on the stock motor.

RUthLEss03

11.24@123
Established Member
This is true. I was making 13-14lbs with my 4# lower on stock heads and cams, but when I went to ported heads and stage 3 cams, my boost went to 11-12lbs with a 6# lower, but I'm making 43 more hp.

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
Not for nothing but Fast Freddy Decker runs 11.4s with his stock block/MP combo. He is the current stock block/MP record holder. No head work at all. Just a well sorted combo tuned by JDM. Been advancing his #s each of the last 4 years. He doesn't baby it on the street either. There is certainly no need to go to a bigger blower to run 11s. The cams sound awsome, and upgrading the valvesprings would be a plus, but certainly not necessary for an 11 second slip. Too much work for the gains IMO.

Jim

Last edited:

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
From the financial aspect my guess is that the cost of labor to install the cams and the cost of machining the heads would be the less expensive route. Upgrading the S/C in conjunction with installing the cams will probably be the most expensive of the options you listed since the S/C won't be cheap and neither will be the labor to install the cams.

From the performance and reliability stand point porting the heads and adding cams would probably be the best way to go. Heads and cams will improve your performance due to better efficiency and the reliability factor will improve since you won't have to rely so heavely on the S/C. The MP would be more than enough with heads and cams to meet your goal.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
I went 11.38 on my stock block with a Whipple 2.3, 3.25 upper and 4# lower, Dynatech headers, 2400 stall, and all other supporting mods, Tuned by JDM.

LILJohnSVT

Established Member
I think i'm gonna go the ported head route. Ported heads,cams and springs with a retune should put me in the 11's with ease. At least i hope.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I think i'm gonna go the ported head route. Ported heads,cams and springs with a retune should put me in the 11's with ease. At least i hope.
With a great 60' i think you will. I see people always focusing on power on these boards. But what it comes down to is setup. It has to launch, hook etc as well as make decent power.

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
With a great 60' i think you will. I see people always focusing on power on these boards. But what it comes down to is setup. It has to launch, hook etc as well as make decent power.

So true! I make less power than most with bigger twinscrews. Still I manage to outrun most of them. It has a lot to do with setup, and the way power is made and delivered.

Jim

TXSVT1

Established Member
good luck lil john I'am sure you'll be able to break into the 11's with those mods. what kind of suspension are you running? shocks?

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
So true! I make less power than most with bigger twinscrews. Still I manage to outrun most of them. It has a lot to do with setup, and the way power is made and delivered.

Jim
Well i kinda mean it in this sense. People with 6lbers can barely break into the 12's and yet people with 4lbers can run mid to low 12's. Granted, twin screws make more power than eatons but it's gonna be set up right. Buy "it", i mean the whole truck.:read:

LILJohnSVT

Established Member
good luck lil john I'am sure you'll be able to break into the 11's with those mods. what kind of suspension are you running? shocks?

I'm on the stock suspension, i've changed nothing. The only weight deductions i have is i remove my spare and tailgate. I think i'm loseing traction off the line my truck shutters sometimes when i launch. I think the clutches in the rear end are shot. I'm gonna go with a true trac and be done with it.

Users who are viewing this thread