S/C GT Owners In Here Please (fuel related)

Steel Horse

Established Member
Hey guys, Im posting for a buddy with 01 s/c gt. He's Got a Vortec Supercharger, ford svt Focus pump in the stock gas tank. 16lb' pulley. When on the dyno at 4000rpm and 10lb of boost his fuel pressure went down hill. The tuner said the pump was petering out and he needed dual pumps. He's tellin us to buy a cobra tank/pump assembly but the gt's I know nothing about, I know the tanks are different but that's all i know. When you all supercharged your car what did you do with the fuel issue? Thanks

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
Well, I'm not quite sure about the 01 GT's, but my Vortech kit for my 05 came with a fuel pump, that WAS NOT a replacement for, but rather in addition to the exsisting one already in my tank. (Tech there is 2 already in the 05, but one is just to pump it over to the other side, our tanks are strange)
So by adding the pump included with the kit, it was a duel pump set up, similar to the cobras. Regardless, I would imagine that the 01 is having fuel issues, and I would assume that would be the solution, or buying a single pump capable of handling that flow.

spike_africa

Established Member
the focus pump can only support around low 400rwhp numbers anything over the 430 rang tends to kill it. More soo in boosted applications. He might just need the Kenny belle boost-a-pump. But i dont know how bad his fuel problem is.

SQ Stang

I'm an SIT WOO WOO
Established Member
When i was at 400rwhp i had the aviator fuel pump do me fine. It's between the Cobra and the focus fuel pump. If he has the money get the 03 cobra tank and pumps, that way he will be for sure never in need of upgrading his fuel system besides his injectors in the future.

blownstang01

Established Member
When the Focus pump was installed, did they drill holes in the bottom of the basket ? The pump will suck the basket dry if you do not put a bunch of 1/2 holes in it.

Steel Horse

Established Member
The car has 42lb injectors, No holes were drilled in the focus pump. Can you elaborate on that. The car made 330 rwhp 390 rwtq on a mustang dyne at 4000 rpm when we shut the car down cause of the fuel problem. The bottom end is all cobra parts, 3 angle valve job on the stock 2valve heads, and He's gonna spary on top of all this. When you change the gas tank and pump is there any other parts he needs? Or will drilling those holes in the focus pump cure it? He's gonna stay away from the boost a pump, dont like the idea that if the fuse blows so does the motor. Thanks guys

blownstang01

Established Member
If he's also going to spray it, might better step up to cobra tank and dual pumps. But to answer your question on the holes, you drill holes in the bottom of the plastic basket that the pump goes into on a GT. The basket will get sucked dry before it can "refill" itself with a higher output than stock pump. A few 1/2 holes should help.

engine281

Footloose
Established Member
Your best bet will be to get a cobra tank, and the pumps. Not only for the problem you are having, but for the problem you will endure after. If you get enough fuel for the problem now and you finish your tune and you think your fine you wont be.

On the stock gt tank you do not have baffels (sorry if spelled wrong). So once you are left with a 1/4 tank of gas, and you enter wot your pump will run dry because the gas is swishing back and forth. Also if you take a turn and you are on the gas even slightly your car will surge on and off.

I have a s/c on mine and that is the only way to get rid of it. The other mustang sites for gt's are having the same problem you and I have. (hope I helped)

Steel Horse

Established Member
ok, he has drilled the holes. I believe we are going to put a gt40 pump in it and see what that produces. They are supposed to be a cut and splice pump just like the focus pump. Thats what I've been told anyway.

35THCONVERTIBLE

Established Member
Just ordered the ford gt pump and waiting on its arrival..thanks to steel horse and other members for the help with the fuel starved gt. Hopefully this pump will do the trick. Has anyone else installed and dyno tuned the ford gt pump and how did it do.

Andrew@

This is Paradise!!
Established Member
Steel Horse said:
Hey guys, Im posting for a buddy with 01 s/c gt. He's Got a Vortec Supercharger, ford svt Focus pump in the stock gas tank. 16lb' pulley. When on the dyno at 4000rpm and 10lb of boost his fuel pressure went down hill. The tuner said the pump was petering out and he needed dual pumps. He's tellin us to buy a cobra tank/pump assembly but the gt's I know nothing about, I know the tanks are different but that's all i know. When you all supercharged your car what did you do with the fuel issue? Thanks

No you can use these pumps without sumping ur tank.

Since those pumps "sit" in the GT gas tanks you will need to always keep the gas level above a quarter tank of gas. Anything less will result in a lower fuel pressure reading b/c its runiing out of gas, lol...makes sense. And i am refering to if everything is installed corectly. :beer:

Dr.Jay

Out of my mind. Back in 5
Established Member
I had the EXACT same problem... I also have focus pumps, 42lbers, 90maf, vortech blah blah. Thing is, my car died way before 4000rpms... changed pumps, and still did it, but at 4000rpms... so you might wanna check: a)grounds (mine was deficient on these) b)relay (specific to the pump, they are kinda hidden, an electro might be able to fix it... they fixed this and PRESTO, problem done). So I guess it's that relay that's giving you problems... they charged $80 for the job, so there might be possibly something else involved... hope this helps...

guarnibl

Established Member
If he's planning on spraying and going for more power down the road... I'd tell him to consider the following...

Cobra tank + Ford GT pumps... honestly.. im not sure how much the cobra tank is... but it can't be that much... and the ford gt40 pumps are $80 each from randy at liberty ford.

That way -- you should be good with the pumps... if you still need more fuel, you can do the following (each step adds more fuel capacity i suppose)

1) 60lb injectors
2) purchase modded FPDM from Zone-5 + Wiring upgrade (12 gauge to 10 gauge -- the wire from the pump to fpdm)
3) purchase 2nd modded FPDM from Zone-5, do the wiring upgrade for that one too... run one per pump. Purchase KB Boost a pump (40 amp).
4) Upgrade lines/rails.

I'll be making close to 800 rwhp on spray with my new setup and I've got the dual modded fpdm's, kenne bell bap (40 amp), 60 lb injectors, cobra tank, dual ford gt40 pumps, and stock lines/rails. If I upgrade the lines/rails/injectors (can't do rails I believe because of clearance issues with the Kenne Bell) I'll be able to support almost 900 rwhp on a return less setup.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread