???'s about T-56-TOB-ETC...

cobra101

Established Member
Ok. So to me it seems like everyone is saying the TOB-retainer on the T56 is what is bad. I also hear now when owners bring in the car that Ford usually changes the tranny. My questiuon is:

If the retainer is bad in the T56 (and the TOB) won't a new T56 tranny do the same thing after awhile?

If I am going to have my tranny replaced by ford wouldn't I wanna get as many miles out of the first one?

I was thinking of driving my car with the TOB squel until the thing either dies or starts to shift badly. Then take it too ford (I have a 6 year 75k mile warranty) and have them fix it then (at 60,000 miles perhaps).

How long can the T56 perform and last with an occasionaly squekly TOB? I tell ya it shifts great and seems like I could use it like this for another 60,000 - 90,000 miles.

Mann the car runs so good now and turning 10,000 miles now I would love to add a 2.93 or 3.0 pulley (no chip) and cut-outs. The rear end seems very solid as it has 10,000 miles and serveral hard launches and 180's. I just am afraid of doing the whole dealership thing and having my tranny changed only to have it fail again. Before Bringing it in was a must because I had the tight clutch with I could not live with it anymore. Now that my tight clutch is fixed and I only have an occaisonal TOB squel I am reluctant tobring it in. What ya think?

How long can my T56 last with this occasional squel (perhaps as time goes on a more permanant squel). 20,000, 40,000, 80,000 or 100,000 plus :)

If you guys think it is REAL important to do it now, I will bring the car in for the TOB squel and most likely the tranny change.

sorry so long :)

03 COBRA SB

Rocky Mtn. SVT Cobra
Established Member
Re: anybody?

Originally posted by cobra101
I really don't wanna bring the car in, but I will if it necessary.

the dealer told me that they will not do anything unless the TOB is making noise most all of the time, i will bet they will not change the tranny before the retainer is shot. IMO

Users who are viewing this thread