RXT rebuild or Spec super twin

sonic cobra

Established Member
My RXT slipping badly at 24,000 miles. Very disappointing especially at my power level.
My mechanic very strongly recommends the Spec supertwin SS trim. My search found a number of complaints about the spec supertwin but not necessarily the SS trim, and I found no significant complaints for the RXT other than the high pedal engagement.

I hate it when I can't make a decision. Seems to happen more the older I get. I thought the RXT was the right decision then. Now I'm not so sure.
Aside from the high pedal and early failure, I really liked the RXT.

Cobra is a weekend toy, street car with two HPDE track events and just one trip to drag strip per year.
So RXT rebuild for $550 or Spec supertwin for $1250? Its really not about the money, Don't want to deal with this again for a long time.
Any thoughts?

SVT_Troy

Established Member
did you breaking your Mcleod correctly? 24k on a RXT doesn't seem like a lot, especially if you are doing high RPM clutch dumps or driving like a teenager....

sonic cobra

Established Member
Yes, 24 K was a lot less than I expected. I don't know how many miles others are getting on either the RXT or the SS trim
I took it nice and easy for almost 750 miles on the break in and I never dump the clutch. Most of the hard work was done on road courses shifting at 5500 - 6000 rpms and downshifting around 4000 rpms.
Probably less than 50 1/4 mile passes in 11 years all on street tires leaving at 1500 to 3000 rpms slipping the clutch. I don't remember how to drive like a teenager, its been almost 50 years since I was one.
Do I give Mcleod the benefit of the doubt and try again with another installer?

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I run the RXT in my 700+ daily driven vert.
I have many high RPM launches on it with out an issue.
24,000 miles is more that I would expect out of any clutch with big power.
If I don't go auto I will get another RXT when the time comes.
The cost to rebuild the RXT is about $550. Much cheaper than buy another twin set up.
Plus I love the street manners of the RXT.

Last edited:

Tractionless1

Established Member
Yes, 24 K was a lot less than I expected. I don't know how many miles others are getting on either the RXT or the SS trim
I took it nice and easy for almost 750 miles on the break in and I never dump the clutch. Most of the hard work was done on road courses shifting at 5500 - 6000 rpms and downshifting around 4000 rpms.
Probably less than 50 1/4 mile passes in 11 years all on street tires leaving at 1500 to 3000 rpms slipping the clutch. I don't remember how to drive like a teenager, its been almost 50 years since I was one.
Do I give Mcleod the benefit of the doubt and try again with another installer?

Using at on a road course is much more abuse than a 9-13 second drag pass.

Consider how long your sessions are, how many up and downshifts you're making per session and whether or not your manipulating the clutch pedal out slowly during downshifts to settle the chassis etc. I'd say 24k is great for said usage.

Users who are viewing this thread