RXT and T56 magnum issue.

Trenton_Brock

Established Member
[video]https://youtu.be/uO7UqcUCNvY[/video]
Has anybody had this issue with there McLeod RXT? I know JesseSVTJames is having the exact same issue.

Last edited:

Trenton_Brock

Established Member
JesseSVTJames sent McLeod the video of his car and mine and McLeod said it sounds like the clutch is maybe hitting the bearing retainer. They also said Tremec is aware of the issue with the transmissions. Getting it in the shop this week to have it taking out again.

MG0h3

Established Member
My car came with a magnum and twin disc but I just saw one for sale that is "machined for a twin disc". Not sure if the plate sits back further and causes interference.

I believe its in the cobra section

MG0h3

Established Member
Mine does not.

Does the sound change when you apply pressure to the pedal? With the car off, look inside the bell and see if a bunch of grease has been thrown out of the TO bearing.

FWIW, I built a custom hydrualic setup on my jeep. I couldn't figure out why no matter what adjustments I made at the fork, I couldn't get any freeplay. I started getting a noise similar to yours after driving for awhile and I could smell something burning. Looked inside the bell and saw a bunch of grease had been thrown out of the TO bearing from getting hot. I finally traced it down to the clutch master was always applying very slight hydraulic pressure to the slave cylinder. I had to machine down the rod a little bit.

In your case, I would make sure that the fork/TO bearing arent always on the PP with too much pressure. Maybe try and unhook the cable from the fork and move the TO bearing away from the PP.

SilverCoyote

Established Member
I have a T56 Magnum XL with RXT. I have driven it without an issue for probably 10000 miles or so. I'm starting to hear that sound just a bit when I slip the clutch to take off. It's very faint and it doesn't happen everytime. It just started?? My clutch is hydraulic though.

I guess I'm in the wrong section... 2011 GT

Last edited:

Trenton_Brock

Established Member
The sound doesn't change if you push the clutch in. The TO isn't riding on the pressure plate. It's gotten louder since the clutch and trans was put in. Getting it pulled out tuesday so hopefully we can figure it out. But whats weird is it doesn't start making that noise until warms up.

Trenton_Brock

Established Member
Thanks for te link. I sent them an email with the video to see if they might know what is causing that sound. Its probably the bearing retainer like they talked about in that link.

Snkbite04

Established Member
I had the same problem ...had to grind the fork a little bit ...it will shutter a bit and will tap the wall ....

SlowSVT

Established Member
I had the same problem ...had to grind the fork a little bit ...it will shutter a bit and will tap the wall ....

The fork contacting the wall is not a great idea.

You can put a die grinder to the webbing on the tranny faceplate to gain clearance to areas you don't want to notch the clutch fork. Best to minimize cutting the faceplate structure which Tremec beefed-up on the Magnum. Here's a pic comparing the two with the Magnum on the Left and the T56 on the right.

TremicT56Magnum6_zpsa8bb70b0.jpg

They basically casted a fat boss around the input bearing on the Magnum but the overall casting structure is relatively the same.

You can weld some chromoly steel to reinforce the shift fork where there may be concerns of weakening it due to notching.

Users who are viewing this thread